Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Naboo The other Alderaan

#31 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:13 PM

I have TESB notebook, with script and comments. here's what it says:

The group standing before Vader is a bizarre array of galactic fortune hunters: There is Bossk, a slime tentacled monster with two huge, bloodshot eyes in a soft baggy face; Zuckuss and Dengar, two battle-scarred, mangy human types; IG-88, a battered, tarnished chrome war droid; and Boba Fett, a man in a weapon-covered armored space suit.

at that count, there were 5. Maybe I'll come across my trading cards. *war droid,* hmm?

____

So is Jimmy Smits the Bail Organa character? I've got a magazine pic with him and JJ in full regal spendour. I'll warn you, it's on the short list for my next av.

#32 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2004 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Feb 19 2004, 08:24 PM)
BTW Supes...
mike:"they kicked us off the train, Rick, 'cause you said AMTRAK was an anagram for complete and utter bastard!"

tongue.gif

It's a nice quote I'll agree, but I always liked Vyvyan's, "You utter, utter utter utter bastard!" I can't remember the episode it's from, but it really stresses the point & when we're talking about Lucas and his films I really like to stress the point. biggrin.gif
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#33 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 22 February 2004 - 06:21 PM

Inamed all BHs by th by, what do I get?

#34 Guest_Guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:17 PM

Naboo is an example of a plot device gone awry. George Lucas in trying to recapture some of the themes of his original trilogy has placed some of his device in an awkward almost idiotic fashion.

One of the reocurring themes of Star Wars is deception. Nobody is revealed to be what they seem to be. ex. Luke is really a jedi not a farm boy, Darth Vader is really Luke's father. This works in literature, because nobody knows what the real story will be like in the end. Therfore you don;t present anything as how it should be, you present it as a deception. Ex. We don't meet Yoda as a stately human Jedi Master in a palace. We meet him as this decrepit little creature in a bog-like planet. This deception has a purpose though. This is meant to show an important Jedi lesson-we are all luminous beings, not crude matter. The force goes beyond looks or pre-conceived judgement. The deception also shows Luke's apparent lack of faith. Is what I am doing right? Did Obi-Wan really speak to me? The deception has a purpose.

In Naboo, Lucas is trying to deceive us into thinking that Queen Amidala might NOT be the mother of Luke and Leia. If he had the planet be Alderaan, then there would be no mystery that Amidala is Luke and Leia's mother. The problem here is that there is no real purpose or allegory to this deception. This doesn't reveal any great character development on Amidala, Anakin or on Luke or Leia. What it is an unnecessary plot device. The New Trilogy is filled with lots of these stupid plot devices.

NOTE: The fact that you guys noticed that Naboo was a pointless plot and that it you all think that it would be easier to make Alderaan the home planet of Amidala, says a lot. All of you have common sense when it comes to plotting. All of you could have writting a better story than what Lucas presented in these last two movies. This is exactly the point I am trying to make. Lucas has made some amazingly boneheaded decisions in making these movies. The fact that you guys can so easily see this accentuates my point. cool.gif

#35 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2004 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (Guest @ Feb 22 2004, 08:17 PM)
Naboo is an example of a plot device gone awry. George Lucas in trying to recapture some of the themes of his original trilogy has placed some of his device in an awkward almost idiotic fashion.

Mike Mac, this whole post was from you wasn't it???

You know you really should register that way you wont have these little mishaps of not being credited with your fine posts. tongue.gif
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#36 User is offline   Ferris Wiel Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 05 March 2004 - 12:58 PM

I don't know if anybody got the list right, but:

Zuckuss - the insectoid bounty hunter (in the Kenner line-up from 1980 was mislabelled as 4-LOM)
4-LOM - the bug-eyed droid with C-3P0's body (in the Kenner line-up from 1980 was mislabelled as Zuckuss)
Dengar - aka, bandageman
IG-88 - the self-aware, very tall battle 'droid that had a prototype 12" developed in 1980 but never was released
Bossk - groovy lizard-dude who didn't much care for Piett
Boba Fett - overrated "ultra-cool" bounty hunter

--FW

#37 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 07 March 2004 - 08:08 PM

4-LOM? the guy captured by the jawas? where does it say he was a bounty hunter?

and zuckuss... I don't think he constitutes as a bounty hunter. isn't he the guy the turns in information on the whereabouts of the droids to the authorities?

go back a page or two, I answered this question.

and bandagamen! I knew there was another name affiliated with dengar, but I couldn't remember where i saw it...

#38 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2004 - 03:10 PM

No barend both 4-Lom and Zuckuss are bounty hunters. I'm almost positive about that.

#39 User is offline   Ferris Wiel Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 March 2004 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Vwing @ Mar 8 2004, 03:10 PM)
No barend both 4-Lom and Zuckuss are bounty hunters. I'm almost positive about that.

Yeah, as a matter of fact, both were aboard the EXECUTOR.

--FW

#40 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 08 March 2004 - 06:18 PM

well, we'll just have to wait till the unaffected OT comes out on DVD to clear it up tongue.gif

but seriously, I don't remember that.... I've watched the films a million times each and used to be expert on the matter, but i haven't watched any of them since the Special Editions, made me sick to my stomach and turned me off the series.

and now alot of SW info has been purged to make room for LOTR trivia!!!

#41 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 09 March 2004 - 02:01 AM

Dengar looked like a heap of blood and bandage. How could he at all be afftective in the art of bounty hunting? He's up against 2 robots, a lizard man, bug man, and boba fett. Poor bastard never stood a chance.

I wonder if we will see a baby dengar in part III with minor bruises and scratches.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#42 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:21 PM

yeah that guy looked like he needed a longer rest beween missions.

either that or maybe like jimi hendrix who had acid under his headband, maybe dengar has PCP fed through the pores of his skin...

#43 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:22 PM

cause why would you need bandages in world that has bacter?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size