• +

Naboo The other Alderaan

#16 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 18 February 2004 - 01:47 PM

Well, you were right to imagine it that way, Chef. That's how Lucas set it up. Except, of course, he allowed a battle droid to appear in EMPIRE, so we were more or less guaranteed to see one in action eventually. I think it's too bad he made the decision to have the battle droids appear right away in the first movie, vut I'm sure he made other mistakes as well. So no sense nit-picking, eh?

As a kid (though an older one, I guess), I always hoped that the Clone Wars Leia referred to would have nothing to do with genetic engineering. I hoped there would be a Clone system, or some dumb thing like that. Maybe the Clone wars could have had clones at their base, I thought, but it would be about how one class of people was raising clones to farm them for organs, or for cheap labour, and so the civil war was about human rights. Because, I thought, if it's a war where one side is all clones and that's supposed to be scary, I will blush at the stupidity of it. "What's so scary about clones?," I thought. "They're just people!"
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#17 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:19 PM

The clone wars were just a comment in Epsiode IV, and now George has to make up a big explanation about them.

Of course, since George already screwed up Episode I and II, he's probably going to make a short, ten second talk about the wars in Episode III that the whole thing will look totally irrelevant.

Edit: Oh yeah, something I forgot to say. Are the Storm Troopers in the OT clones too? Or were they recruited? If they were recruited like a regular army, then what happened to all the clones?

This post has been edited by Paladin: 18 February 2004 - 03:20 PM

#18 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Feb 18 2004, 01:47 PM)
Except, of course, he allowed a battle droid to appear in EMPIRE, so we were more or less guaranteed to see one in action eventually. 

I hoped there would be a Clone system, or some dumb thing like that.

What battle droid? did I miss something?

I'm with you on the clone wars "mystery". I too was hoping it was just some adjective. Kind of like, "they knew each other in the 'sixties.'" a passable comment that didn't need definition enough to stand on a stool, painting yourself into a corner, pissing off your family when you're a lousy painter besides.

#19 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 18 February 2004 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Feb 18 2004, 10:38 AM)
Wouldn't it just have been a lot cooler if the war and the conflict was between two different groups of Jedi (the Jedi and the Sith) rather than a super -boring political problem?

They could have simply been made to have two different sects of the Jedi order with two different views of how the force was to be used. This could have eventually branched out into a sort of civil war for control of the Republic. This is where the Sith raised an evil army of clones and the Republic used its regular non-clone army to fight them back.

With all of this going on there would have been some internal Jedi struggle and the obvious Anakin falling to the dark side.

No Trade Federation. No Battle Droids. No Gungans.

I dunno. That's how I always imagined it happening since I was a kid.

Same here, that's pretty much what I pictured. Jedi vs. Sith going at it, kind of like Knights of the Old Republic. Too bad they didn't make that into a movie. That would've been good.

#20 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 19 February 2004 - 12:39 AM

They could have simply been made to have two different sects of the Jedi order with two different views of how the force was to be used

yes! It should have been a battle between two houses. That scenario NEVER gets boring!!!! And I'm serious too. Political bruhaha is just so damn lame. It only works on those 7 part series that air on BBC.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#21 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Feb 18 2004, 03:31 PM)
What battle droid? did I miss something?

One of the bounty hunters on Vader's Star Destroyer was a battle droid. Not that you'd know that, but according to the marketing the Star Destroyer was called The Executioner and the droid's name was IG-88. Kenner made an action figure. A colleague of mine carries it around in his camera bag.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#22 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 19 February 2004 - 03:46 AM

Ya IG-88. It's funny how he became this big thing in the expanded universe. I'm sure he was added as a last minute stage prop. Then some dork working for Lucas decided to give the heap of used car parts an identity.

It takes little to no skill in creating a starwars character. The real good ones like Jabba the Hut, Han Solo, and Yoda took some time and thought in the design process of crafting their characters. But the rest are just the products of 1000 monkeys on 1000 typewriters.

Lots of movies fall into shitty character syndrome, Lucas is not the only one out there suffering from it.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#23 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:08 AM

I never saw IG-88 in the OT, and I didn't see Dengar either. Where is he?

#24 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Feb 17 2004, 08:16 PM)
"George Lucas" an anagram for "complete and utter bastard!"

[young ones' joke]

Wouldn't that be an "utter, utter utter utter bastard" then?
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#25 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Feb 19 2004, 03:46 AM)
Ya IG-88. It's funny how he became this big thing in the expanded universe. I'm sure he was added as a last minute stage prop. Then some dork working for Lucas decided to give the heap of used car parts an identity.

Yup! All the bounty hunters that appear in that scene where Vader tells Boba, "No disintegration", hit the big time. Bossk, IG-88 and of course Boba Fett. They simply make it because the empire has called upon them as such they must be the best of the bounty hunters.

This is the best the Star Wars databank can produce for one of the 6 most fearsome bounty hunters in the galaxy:

'"Bounty hunters. We don't need that scum," was a sentiment quietly expressed by Admiral Piett when Lord Vader recruited a group of six elite hunters to track down the Millennium Falcon.

Piett thought he was out of earshot, but the disparagement was still heard by Bossk, a towering reptilian humanoid and skilled predator. Though Boba Fett ultimately bested the other hunters and collected Han Solo's bounty, Bossk is nonetheless a fearsome and heavily armed tracker. '

They mention six bounty hunters. Can anyone name all six?
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#26 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 19 February 2004 - 11:50 AM

Ok, so I do remember IG-88 now. Never thought about him being a battle droid. He looked kind of old school futurist. Maybe a couple of hundred sw years old?

of course with Boba's magnificence (and action figure status leading to build up) it would be hard to remember the others. Bossk, was he the one with his tougue drooling? wasn't there a pirate of some sort? I guess if kenner had action figs for the others I might well remember them. I mean, I didn't hear anyone say to a cantina alien "hey Hammerhead, how's it goin," but even elliot in E.T. knew *his* name.

Order gives us peace. If a figure collection isn't complete, there's a need to fulfill the order of the collection. It can't be a cantina scene without hammerhead, therefore. Well Lucas also gave us the hint of a backstory. The fact that it doesn't jive with the prequels in every way wads killed our sense of order (even as he tries to ressurect the dead every 3 years.)

So how *did* they choose those 6 elite bounty hunters anyway? top 10 list? american idol? rolodex?

That being the premise, Boba F's death was kind of like Rudy letting go of the pole in the original "Survivor." The best of the best don't make stupid mistakes.

#27 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2004 - 05:15 PM

I wouldn't have got Bossk, but I rememebr Dengar and Zuckus (sp?). Again, this is because Kenner supplied me with the names. I don't remember the sixth.

Anyone?

#28 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:00 PM

I was hoping that perhaps Sidious would have made his own clone army of Jedi acolytes/adepts. Whose DNA would be better than.... Anakin's. Get it from his hand.

Then it would've been possible to have a lightsaber army vs. lightsaber army fight. Alas, it will never happen.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#29 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 February 2004 - 08:24 PM

Nerd Corner: the 6 prominent Bounty hunters of SW:OT

IG-88 is cool 'cause he became self aware on the assembly lline and reprogrammed the robots to kill humans. (or something like that).

Bossk is cool 'cause he wears wookie pelts.

Boba-Fett is cool 'cause he fucked up the other too, to get the reward for finding the millenium falcon, and the suprissingly large arsenal of gadgets he carries on him, and his -until now- secretive and mysterious past.

dengar, well, aparently he saved Boba-fett from the sarlac (who "found me a little hard to swallow")

Greedo never shot first, but probably should have if he wanted to survive.
[SE note: how do miss some one you've been aiming at for 5 minutes, with your gun 1 foot from their chest?]

Bosch had a cool helmet, captured chewbacca, threatened Jabba with a thermal detenator, turned out to be princess leia...

BTW Supes...
mike:"they kicked us off the train, Rick, 'cause you said AMTRAK was an anagram for complete and utter bastard!"

#30 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 February 2004 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 19 2004, 06:00 PM)
I was hoping that perhaps Sidious would have made his own clone army of Jedi acolytes/adepts. Whose DNA would be better than.... Anakin's. Get it from his hand.

Then it would've been possible to have a lightsaber army vs. lightsaber army fight. Alas, it will never happen.

hey, njam.. long time no read!!!

but yes, I have ALWAYS been under the impression that the clone war had a large number of cloned jedi/sith. what happened there?

more story falling appart.

also, Leias adopted dad better be in the next one fighting alongside obi-wan.
for continuitys' sake.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size