Chefelf.com Night Life: 2008 Presidential Predictions - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

2008 Presidential Predictions poll & debate: who will be next prez?

#1 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:29 PM

This is sort of a poll and a debate regarding who you think will become the next President of the United States in 2008.

We have some interesting candidates that are running for office:

Republican:

Rudy Guiliani
John McCain
Fred Thompson

Democratic:

Hillary Clinton
John Edwards
Barack Obama

To be honest, I havent been avidly keeping up with the political campaigns of each candidate, the issues they support, etc. as of lately.

I am Republican, and will most likely be voting that way. So, currently I would cast my ballot in favor of Rudy Guiliani.

History tells me that John McCain stands the best chance of winning:

His name is of United Kingdom ancestry, which accounts for many of previous presidents.
He is an old white man, which would keep in line with the hidden ethic that all U.S. Presidents must be old white men.
His name simply sounds closer to what a president's name should sound like, than any of the other candidates.

Hillary Clinton wont win: Because she is a woman
Barrack Obama wont win: because he isnt white, and his name sounds too close to the world's most wanted criminal (Osama)
Rudy Guiliani wont win: We have never had a president of Italian ancestry, and many still fear the mob.
Fred Thompson: who??
John Edwards: he may stand a chance at winning, since many are fed up with Republican rule in the oval office.

now, regarding my above predictions, Im not trying to cast stereotypes, racial, sexual or otherwise,.i am simply looking at facts and what seems to be the general rule of prerequisites that get a candidate into the oval office. Sadly, in America, there are many factions and groups that would rally and protest a female president or a minority president.

I dont honestly see any change to this for years to come, and even though there are such candidates that are running,..because such factions exist in the U.S., it increases their odds of actually winning. Sad, but true.

This post has been edited by mireaux7: 16 May 2007 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#2 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:22 PM

Osama is so 2001. He probably won't win because he's not an old and wealthy white man. A wealthy arabic man as president won't fly for many people.

People randomly hate Hillary because she's associated with Bill Clinton and that absurd sex scandal. And yeah, she's a woman.

A lot of people apparently like Rudy Guliani. For some reason, being mayor of NYC made said lots of people like him because of the September 11th attacks on the WTC.

I'm voting blue unless some bizarre twist of fate turns out a Republican canidate who I don't disagree with on many issues and a Democrat who I disagree with on many issues... It's shitty, but that's a two-party system for you. I will, of course, research the canidates who win the primaries to make sure that I don't vote for someone horrendous. If they're as shitty a choice as the 2004 and 2000 elections, and the Democrat is really atrocious (i.e. Joe Lieberman calibur), then I'll vote third party or write in a canidate if they'll let me.

http://www.walken2008.com
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#3 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ May 16 2007, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People randomly hate Hillary because she's associated with Bill Clinton and that absurd sex scandal.

Like she had a lot to do with it.

#4 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:49 PM

You forgot several candidates.

Unforunately, I agree with your reasons for the people you listed to not win. I don't agree with those reasons, but I think enough do that it will make a large enough difference that those candidates won't win. Even if Clinton or Obama win the primary, there are enough stupidheads that would vote for the other candidate even if they know nothing about them, just for the sole reason of keeping a woman/black/Muslim/whatever out of office.

Aside from the two everyone are clamoring about (Clinton and Obama), I think McCain and Edwards stand a chance, as does this Mormon Mitt Romney fellow... However, I do not like Romney AT ALL. His own official website has creepy things like "Defeating the Jihadists" as a title for a page. And he says stuff about "every children should only have a mother and a father" that I know is directed towards homosexual marriages, but it comes off as him being against children being raised by a single parent or a grandparent, as well. I also might sound evil saying this, but I know enough about Mormonism to have his religion sway my thinking. Mostly because of what Mormons believe that would affect his policies.

I used to think Vilsack was a pretty good candidate, but he dropped out because of the pressures on his family and he found it ridiculous that he had to waste so much money on a campaign. Which goes to show me that yes, he would have been a good candidate. Ha. That thing "Anyone who would want to be president, wouldn't be a good president" seems to ring true.

From what I know, Brownback and McCain seem to be my favourite out of the republicans, but really I don't like any of them and certainly won't be voting republican. As far as the democrats go, well, I'm one of the few that doesn't like Clinton, and it's not for her being a woman. Though she's running as a democrat, looking at her views, she seems almost republican. She's against gay marriages, she voted for the war, supports the death penalty, wants to make flag-burning illegal?? I only recently learned of that viewpoint of hers. Whatever happened to freedom of exp​ression? I also have to admit that I have a bit of a problem with the fact that she just let Bill cheat on her and didn't do a thing about it. Is she weak, or did she just selfishly not want a divorce so that she could still have the benefits of being first lady? But that's part of her personal life, I know, so I'm trying to not let that sway me.
Obama seems okay so far, but honestly, I haven't had a chance to look into him as much as some of the other candidates. He's next on my list for research, though.
Our very own (by that, I mean, the Carolinas) John Edward seems okay so far, and if I had to choose now, I think I might vote for him. But honestly, I just don't think I know enough about any of them to vote yet. I know where I stand on most issues, and none of the candidates agree with me even 75% of the way. So I'm going to have to start ordering what issues are the most important ones, and do more research on the candidates before it comes time to vote.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#5 User is offline   Slade Icon

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

Hooray, Spoon, for being the one person I know who dislikes Hillary based upon her standpoints on the issues instead of something arbitrary and irrational!

McCain wants a whole lot more involvement in Iraq: http://www.johnmccai...c7ea83f11d8.htm

I shudder in revulsion.

#6 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

I have to read about the system there to understand more. My understanding of democracy is that it is only democratic before someone is elected in, then they can do what they want. I don't think it is fair that money is put in the way of people to disillusion the choice where only the rich can make attempts and come out free whilst the poor are at risk of going bankrupt if their attempts fail. Now that I don't find that democratic because the choice is down to the ability to pay money for it at the beginning.

Joke: What happened to the n in democratic?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 16 May 2007 - 02:30 PM

#7 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:48 PM

Ew. Last I heard, McCain was criticising Bush about the war and stuff. I didn't realize that, and now McCain has gone down, way way down, in my personal rankings of the candidates.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#8 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:23 PM

John McCain doesn’t have a chance in hell of winning the nomination. The media tries to play it off like hes some kind of contender but he’s too middle of the road to ever get it. Conservative republicans hate him.

Unfortunately, Rudy probably wouldn’t get it either - he’s a bit on the moderate side too, which is unfortunate cause he’d probably win the presidential election if he got the rep. nomination.

I heard a rumor the other day that Newt Gingritch might run. Republicans love him so I think he’d get it. I love Newt, I’d totally vote for him.

#9 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:34 PM

I've heard that, too. Wikipedia lists him as someone who is probably going to run but hasn't announced his candidacy.

#10 User is offline   optimus_prime Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ May 16 2007, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also have to admit that I have a bit of a problem with the fact that she just let Bill cheat on her and didn't do a thing about it. Is she weak, or did she just selfishly not want a divorce so that she could still have the benefits of being first lady?

The whole Monica Lewinsky/Bill scandal was really a brash fantasy concocted by Hillary Clinton. Hillary was there in the room when the whole thing took place, camcorder in hand...It was a 3-some! I have no idea why Ken Starr claims it was just Monica and Bill,..Ken was probably just upset that he never got invited.
"freedom is the right of all sentient beings"

#11 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ May 16 2007, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Osama is so 2001. He probably won't win because he's not an old and wealthy white man. A wealthy arabic man as president won't fly for many people.

People randomly hate Hillary because she's associated with Bill Clinton and that absurd sex scandal. And yeah, she's a woman.

as offensive as her being a woman is...

i think she shouldn't be allowed to run for the same reson i never wanted bush in. to closely related to someone who already served. it makes a mockery of the two terms max rule. it's an utter conflict of interest.

but it shall be interesting to see which is stronger, americas sexisim or racism.

#12 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:26 AM

Ill try to be polite: Who cares who wins the elections, the United States is fucked no matter who becomes President.

Plus I think there is something in the US constitution about Women and Blacks not being allowed to run for President, or perhaps I’m thinking of Ancient Greece… or possibly Kazakhstan.

#13 User is offline   Slade Icon

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

The only constitutional stipulation is that you have to be over 35 years old and a natural-born citizen.

However, realistically, you have to be very wealthy and influential, as well as a large political figure to begin with, and you have to be of one of the two political parties that fight over who gets to screw everyone over, and then be nominated by said political party. And then you wage your propaganda war and possibly rig elections in areas where you have influence over that sort of thing.

#14 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ May 18 2007, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only constitutional stipulation is that you have to be over 35 years old and a natural-born citizen.

However, realistically, you have to be very wealthy and influential, as well as a large political figure to begin with, and you have to be of one of the two political parties that fight over who gets to screw everyone over, and then be nominated by said political party. And then you wage your propaganda war and possibly rig elections in areas where you have influence over that sort of thing.

Is it just me or is it the omnipotent half fact that human beings cannot create a decent Government without million of people dying as a result?

#15 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (Cobnat @ May 18 2007, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it just me or is it the omnipotent half fact that human beings cannot create a decent Government without million of people dying as a result?

You cant please everybody.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size