• +
  • « First

**PADME SPOILER** you've been warned...

#121 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:19 PM

A very good faerie tale ending, at that.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#122 User is offline   Bohrok Awakener Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:27 PM

I saw ROTS, and my opinion on the Padme death scene: LAME. Died of broken heart? Get real. Padme is supposedly one of the strongest women in the galaxy, capable of ruling an entire planet at the age of 14. Her husband betraying the entire galaxy would certainly upset her, but I doubt it would cause her to lose the will to live.

The medical droids in the scene were annoying. Knowing Lucas, I was half-expecting him to throw 2-1B and FX-7 in there, complete with a "Farewell, Two-Onebee... I will miss you." line from Obi-Wan. It's ironic that I would have even preferred to have had a familiar medical droid instead of the atrocities that we were given... okay, maybe not.

I actually hated the entire labour scene - that SO doesn't belong in a Star Wars movie! Especially with Obi-Wan, Threepio and Artoo all sitting there begging her to push, etc... it seemed like a bad TV medical drama.

#123 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:36 PM

Her husband betraying the entire galaxy would certainly upset her, but I doubt it would cause her to lose the will to live.

In pregnancy, hormones can waver someone's choices, and make them depressed, and even suicidal. Given that Padme's hormones were mixing together during childbirth, and given that she had just gotten through an attempt at her life, and given that she had just found out what terrible things Anakin had done behind her back, this leaves room to say that she had a reasons to loose the will to live.

This post has been edited by StarWarsIsUs: 23 May 2005 - 05:38 PM

SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#124 User is offline   charmingcharlie Icon

• New Cop

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:24 PM

why is it so hard for people to accept that the padme death scene was total bantha poodoo biggrin.gif. Now I can accept that if someone is gravely injured they can die through "lack of will to live", but as we all heard the doc say "there is nowt physically wrong with her".

However what I find totally unbelievable is a woman that has no physical injury, use to be the queen of an entire planet, now a delegate of the senate, gives birth to 2 healty vibrant children just decides to go "ah well sod this for a game of cards I am out of here".

#125 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:43 PM

and no one bring up the force choke.

either you are choked to death or the choking is interupted and you survive...

that's how choking works... it's not like being injected with poison or some shit... it won't come back to fuck you up!

emotional instability may cause suicidal tendancies, but again...
she needed a gun for that to take affect...

IT IS LAME!!!
there are no two ways about it....

#126 User is offline   Devout Catalyst Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:09 PM

OK, now that I have seen ROTS for myself, I now have the dubious "pleasure" of basking in the knowledge that my hunch was correct all along. The Padmé crap is STUPID. In fact, it's even worse than I thought it would be. Gee, now how did I know that Lucas would find a way to screw it all up beyond my lowest expectations?

"Something wonderful has happened! I'm pregant! We can fix up the baby's room! Oops, Ani is suddenly bad. Boo hoo hoo! I can't wait to die now."

The scene simply reinforced everything I typed in this thread before.

Not only that, but a whole stupid paradox was created. First, Anakin tells Padmé about his nightmares. She tells him not to worry, that she won't die in childbirth. So obviously, IT'S UP TO HER NOT TO! Now, the paradox: Anakin "turns" to save Padmé from dying in childbirth; Padmé dies because Anakin turned. Since they spent an entire scene discussing Anakin's nighmares, why didn't they talk it through just a little further and thus PREVENT THE TRAGEDY FROM HAPPENING IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Ani: "Promise me that if anything should go wrong during the birthing, you'll fight to survive, for the baby's sake."

Padmé: "OK."

There. That would have solved everything.

I can see where maybe Palpatine was planting these "premonitions" in Anakin's mind, to set him up for the "choice" to become Palpatine's pupil. It's a stupid choice, but whatever. So what does that have to do with Padmé "losing the will to live"?

Once Padmé was in labor, and realized there was nothing physically wrong with herself, why would she just up and die? It makes her totally weak. Why wouldn't she be rejoicing in the fact that she was healthy and her babies were healthy and that she had proven Anakin wrong?

LAME, LAME, LAME.

#127 User is offline   Sauron Icon

• New Cop

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:43 AM

My explanation here is going to be kind of 'weak' - but so be it.

Padme & Anakin die at the same time...

Romeo & Juliet type of effect, where once one lover is gone the other can't live without him/her....

That might have been what Lucas was going for, kind of poetic in a way.

Or. Just. Really. LAME.

?

#128 User is offline   Twig Bear Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:48 AM

That might have been what Lucas was going for, kind of poetic in a way.

He failed. There is no other solution for this stupidity. He failed.

#129 User is offline   Devout Catalyst Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:22 PM

Alright, I realize this thread has lost the will to live, but I just thought I'd drive the final nail in the coffin.

If Padmé dies solely on account of losing the will to live, WHY DOESN'T DARTH VADER? He is gravely injured already AND discovers out that he has been betrayed AND that he has lost his wife. What reason would he have for wanting to stay alive?

#130 User is offline   BadKarma Icon

• New Cop

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (Devout Catalyst @ May 26 2005, 12:22 AM)
Alright, I realize this thread has lost the will to live, but I just thought I'd drive the final nail in the coffin.

If Padmé dies solely on account of losing the will to live, WHY DOESN'T DARTH VADER? He is gravely injured already AND discovers out that he has been betrayed AND that he has lost his wife. What reason would he have for wanting to stay alive?

He has midiclorians, MAN! They're like a crazy drug, DUDE! He's gonna vibe out on them midi's till he gets a major detox when his son cuts off his hand, MAN!

Seriously, it's just a really really poor piece of writing *shrug*

#131 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:51 PM

Well, since he was going for a romantic/fairy tale ending, it should be assesed in that context, not scrutinised using such cold objectivism.

#132 User is offline   BadKarma Icon

• New Cop

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ May 26 2005, 12:51 AM)
Well, since he was going for a romantic/fairy tale ending, it should be assesed in that context, not scrutinised using such cold objectivism.

If he wanted to go for fairytale (which was what the whole OT was and why it worked so magnificently) maybe he should have started it a bit sooner than 10 minutes from the end of a mindless 6 hour+ SFX-fest?!
Why do a lot of us forgive the shortcomings of the OT and not the PT. I don't think it's just childhood memories (I loved the TV series Streethawk as a kid, I watched it the other day and it STANK!), it's to do with us wanting to overlook any shortcomings because the whole thing caught our imaginations and took us to a new place. The PT has catastrophically failed to do that by GL turning his back on practically every storytelling device he lived by for the OT, and just doing the "hollywood" and pandering to the "look over content" brigade.

#133 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:14 PM

The word is objectivity, not objectivism.

Let me point out also that hand-waving about midichlorians, muddled attempts at deep political intrigue, and wall-to-wall special effects are not the way to establish a fairy-tale atmosphere.

#134 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:54 PM

e fucking zak fucking lee

#135 User is offline   Twig Bear Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:34 AM

Right. I can just remember all those fairey tales I was told as a kid that involved either trade embargoes, civil wars, and/or the rise of imperialism through promises of security and safety.

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size