Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Yoda long time ago, then, and now

#16 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:17 PM

JAWF - your point about Yoda is a good one... but - and this is just me - from the dialogue between Ben and Yoda you get the feel that they weren't just master/apprentice, training finished and bazoom, have a nice life.
I got that they worked together, planned together and were personal friends. From this, I thought Yoda should show up, but not be a damn Super Grover.

#17 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:19 PM

thanks for being inspired...

here's some more inspiration for you....

#18 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:26 PM

Freaking hell that's an ugly wigged puppet.

Incidentally - is it just me or do you just have to follow the code and be a good master to get on the council, cause it seems piss-easy. And how come only Mace and Yoda say anything.
The only council we saw in the original trilogy was Tarkin's council of war - and that was heckloads more of a council rather than a 78965th Annual Stoic Cushion Week Festival.

#19 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Mnesymone @ May 10 2005, 08:17 PM)
JAWF - your point about Yoda is a good one... but - and this is just me - from the dialogue between Ben and Yoda you get the feel that they weren't just master/apprentice, training finished and bazoom, have a nice life.
I got that they worked together, planned together and were personal friends. From this, I thought Yoda should show up, but not be a damn Super Grover.

agreed. When i first heard Yoda was in TPM, it made sense. Naturally it was executed poorly so now it doesn't make sense.

I agree with you on the relationship, but i maintain that it does not need to be seen on screen

I also assert that a better (hexology) (is that a word?) (bi-trilogy?) could be made if Yoda appeared as a fresh new character in ESB.

For awhile i always thought that we would never know that Anakin became Vader in the PT. That way the bi-trilogy could be viewed in order and the revelation of ESB would still be a suprise. Naturally it has its pros and cons.

#20 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:09 AM

I just thought they were all friendly, because they were master and apprentice, plus the fact that they were both the only surviving Jedi, which recalled all these scattered memories, and made it where they had no choice, but to be the closest of friends, through body and spirit in the OT.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#21 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:52 AM

In one draft of my rewrite, Yoda is missing when Obi-Wan brings Anakin to train him, so Obi-Wan takes it upon himself, but later, in Episode III, the Emperor has taken out several Jedi (not with a lightsaber) and is prepared to finish off the weakened Obi-Wan when Yoda appears. He and Yoda battle it out (not with lightsabers) but Yoda is beaten when the Emperor opens a Force-created worm-hole and drops Yoda on Dagobah ("Don't underestimate the power of the emperor"), which would be an excellent explanation for Yoda not being there... it was against his will to be on Dagobah and the battle would've weakened him.

But in other drafts Yoda just disappears to Dagobah to wait for Luke... which really seems pussy to me.
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#22 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:56 PM

ykno, it makes sense that a jedi master could hide from force-sensitive sith by hiding on a planet teeming with life.

during the cleansings i can see why yoda would choose Dagobah.

But Tatooine is pretty dead, i wonder how Obi-Wan hid.

does it really need explanation?

#23 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:47 PM

"Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is!"

Is it possible that Dagobah really is where Yoda originally was from? that would be the simplest explanation I think.

#24 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:42 PM

I doubt that is it, ernest, only for the reason that there seems to be nothing there except swamps, trees, vines, snakes and lizards. Yoda, I think, if he were hiding, would hide among people of his kind, which there seem to be none of.

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#25 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:16 PM

Though this thread is faded somewhat - hears some fresh feed for it.

Yoda in Ep I with Anakin - his whole afraid for your mother, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering, suffering leads to the Dark Side thing.
Let alone that Anakin wouldn't have been worried about his mother if Qui-Gon had freed her, say with the money they made from selling the pod and thusly the galaxy would be saved its a very strange thing for Yoda to say.
Why? I'll tell you why.

Luke: I'm not afraid.
Yoda: You will be. You will be.

Strange, no?

#26 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:01 PM

Yoda's run-on sentence describing the pathway to Hell is delivered as if he wants to creep Annie out. Anikan running and screaming would have been nice.

#27 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:55 PM

Yoda's speech was too much like that from Empire Strikes Back. And like you said, 'You will be', means that Yoda knows that Luke is going to be scared no matter what, so there is no point in even trying to fight it.

It makes me angry when I look at that one big flaw, though: Qui-Gon didn't free Shmi. (that rhyms)!

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#28 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:22 AM

Those would make great protest posters for when Lucas shows up on the set of the O.C. next time.

#29 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2005 - 12:29 PM

That would be funny.

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size