Chefelf.com Night Life: ROTS Novelization - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

ROTS Novelization To read, or not to read?

Poll: Should I read the ROTS novelization?

Should I read the ROTS novelization?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE (littlejerryseinfeld @ Apr 14 2005, 12:38 PM)
yeah, i want to read your scathing review - without you having any notions of the movie beforehand... 

yeah, thus maximizing your horrified shock to its upmost.

#17 User is offline   Private Zod Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:50 AM

I cannot figure out why lucas released all the merchandise 45 days before the film opens. Unless he has so much confidense that once people read teh story that they are going to run to the theaters. It is probably more for the casual fan who lost interest from the last 2 films.

It is very hard for me to go into this spoiler free. I was so tempted last night at Borders to go to the back 3 pages of the Graphic Novel Adaptation.

#18 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Private Zod @ Apr 18 2005, 08:50 AM)
I cannot figure out why lucas released all the merchandise 45 days before the film opens.

Forty-five days in the market, free of criticism.

Once the movies are panned, the markdowns on the toys and books will hassa heads spinnin. Cash in while you can, GL. One thing you can't redeem is credibility.

#19 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (Private Zod @ Apr 18 2005, 08:50 AM)
It is very hard for me to go into this spoiler free.  I was so tempted last night at Borders to go to the back 3 pages of the Graphic Novel Adaptation.

I'm trying but it's REALLY hard to avoid spoilers. I'm not killing my self and plugging my ears but I'm doing my best to keep things fresh for the movie. I dunno, it's hard to be TOO spoiler free considering we all know the basic plot given how things are in Episode IV.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#20 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:55 AM

I may be alone in not caring much about spoilers. I try not to "spoil" a movie for others but I don't mind being "spoiled". Leaving aside the probable truth that Episode III is spoiled rotten from the get-go, I suggest that one of the marks of a quality book or moviee is that it stands up to a second reading or viewing, when of course you know everything about the book or movie - it's all been spoiled.

Perhaps it comes down to this question: do you want to find out if the movies are good or bad - in which case spoilage doesn't matter, or matters less anyway, and might actually help in analysis of the movie; or do you want to try to extract as much enjoyment from the first viewing as possible - in which case you'll want as much unspoiled suspense as you can get?

Let me point out also that Lucas has already partly spoiled his movie himself, not even taking into account the novelisation. He's leaked details and hints; he's released numerous publicity stills and trailers that give away major plot points. For weeks he's been doing the equivalent of nudging us in the ribs.

#21 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:22 PM

I actually found TPM to be much more tolerable as a novel. It gave us a few cool scenes we didn't see in the movie (such as Anakin helping a Tusken Raider) and Jar Jar and Trade Federation weren't quite annoying. On print a young Anakin blowing up the space station was at least somewhat believable, and of course we weren't bombarded with CGI. So if ROTS is dissapointing, Im hoping the novel can do what the TPM novel menance did. Make it tolerable. I say go for it Chef....we know what's going to happen for most of the movie anyways

#22 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:23 PM

oh man, we could have seen a tusken toddler bud, along with greedo and friends? That would've been so cute. And endearing; helping solidify Annie's "pivotal" moment as even MORE significantly evil. Count on Lucas to miss out. tongue.gif

#23 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:51 PM

I'm assuming that somewhere in the Jedi Chronicles (whatever the F*** those teeny-bopper books are called that fill in the "gap" between movies), which explain how "sweet" little Annie became psychotic, dispectful git Anakin the Teenager. Right?

Gotta buy all the products to get all the info.... that's Lucas' master plan, right?>
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#24 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:47 PM

It is stupid to put out a book before the movie in this case...

It would be interesting if the book and the movie contradict each other...

#25 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:18 PM

You mean, say, the book is good?

Old school fan here. I remember my best friend revealing to me "Darth is Luke's father" weeks before ESB's release, and then two weeks more before it would reach our area (of course those days are gone now. It'll open on every screen it wants.)

Still, we had one good film down, another to go. Things were good for hardcore SW fans at the time. smile.gif

About the book? I don't think it's unwise to release it now.
Get them while you can, George Lucas.

Most folks buying the hardcover will be cutting him some slack, anyway.

#26 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Apr 14 2005, 09:52 AM)
Also, the TPM soundtrack that came out well before the film contained a track called: "Qui-Gon's Noble End."  Way to spoil it, jerk.  dry.gif

How is getting a laser beam in the gut for a government that trips over itself from its inability to solve its problems and can't keep its members from waging private little wars on each other "noble"?

Is it me or does that Naboo planet (horrible name for a planet; sounds like the name of a candy bar for little kids) look like Middle Earth?

With more and more big budget features proving themselves to be flat, hollow, unenjoyable experiences, I find myself keeping an eye on all spoilers. I figure it's better to get as much of the disappointment out of the way as possible.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#27 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Mnesymone @ Apr 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
It is stupid to put out a book before the movie in this case...

It would be interesting if the book and the movie contradict each other...

Funny you mention that, because other books spawned off from Episodes 1 and 2 do contradict Anakin's character. You know, in those books he's portrayed as a hero with many flaws, one you actually like and care about. Instead of the whiney, arrogant, self absorbed prick you see in Episode 2

And I've just seen the ROTS hardcover book, and theres something about the cover art I dont like...

#28 User is offline   Primetime Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (Michel Orla @ Apr 22 2005, 11:44 AM)
Funny you mention that, because other books spawned off from Episodes 1 and 2 do contradict Anakin's character. You know, in those books he's portrayed as a hero with many flaws, one you actually like and care about. Instead of the whiney, arrogant, self absorbed prick you see in Episode 2

And I've just seen the ROTS hardcover book, and theres something about the cover art I dont like...

Yes, the novelizations definitely do a better job of portraying Anakin (not that I agree with the character development). These novelists are professionals and they have their work cut out for them.

I figure once I've been let down by the movie, there's no way I'm reading the book. So the book comes first. There's still the mystery of how the scenes will look and sound . . .

#29 User is offline   azryan Icon

• New Cop

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:01 PM

Spoiler FREE-

I read the book only 'cuz I just wanted to know what happens before the DVD comes out.
My HT room kills movie theaters so I only see about one flick at the theater every year or so if I get a free ticket.

I get the books and DVD's free from the library so I happily haven't given lucas a damn dime for his garbage.

I'd agree with 99.999% here that he should just see the movie. It's the same thing. Reading it you can picture the visuals and the awful acting.

Only heard about one thing in the book that's not in the film and it's meaningless. Didn't hear about anything in the film not in the book though.

#30 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:41 PM

it's less than 36 hours away....

at this point, you probably don't have time to read the book anyway...

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size