Random Flick Madam Corvax's idea

#16 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:39 AM

Both.

NO, not realy: Ridley Scott's Masterpiece was BLADERUNNER. And it's gritty.

Judy Garland: MEET ME IN ST LOUIS, SUMMER STOCK. Acting opposite the two finest dancers of the century.

Hey, here's random: everyone here should watch QUIZ SHOW (1994).
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#17 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:56 AM

The other best dancer of the century was in the Easter Parade...
And Gene Kelly was also in The Pirate and For Me and My Gal.

I think i've seen the Quiz SHow, is it the one with Ralf Fiennes?

And concerning Ridley Scott - there is a new film coming out The Kingdom of Heaven. I suppose I will go and see it, if only to see Edward Norton. And I saw the trailer yesterday - he stole from LOTR ROTK, honestly, I could have sworn it was the deleted footage from the battle on the fields of Pelennor, only the Mumaks were missing.

#18 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Apr 6 2005, 09:56 AM)
And concerning Ridley Scott - there is a new film coming out The Kingdom of Heaven. I suppose I will go and see it, if only to see Edward Norton. And I saw the trailer yesterday - he stole from LOTR ROTK, honestly, I could have sworn it was the deleted footage from the battle on the fields of Pelennor, only the Mumaks were missing.

Edward Norton's in Kingdom of Heaven? The only person who's face keeps coming up in all the advertising (including a TV spot I saw last night) focuses on Orlando Bloom. It almost looks like he's recycling his POTC/Troy performance, falling in love once again with a woman he really shouldn't (I guess he's trying to make up for lost time on LOTR, where he had no love interest outside of his bow/arrow and Gimli).

Pretty much all of the new post-LOTR epics can't help looking like LOTR in some way or another. It's like a syndrome.

What are The Pirate and For Me & My Gal about?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#19 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:39 PM

That Edward Norton is in Kingrom of Heaven is confirmed by the list of cast. I haven't spotted him in the trailer, much as I tried.

The Pirate and For Me and My Gal are mostly about singing and dancing... Or at least the Pirate is, because the plot is pretty ridiculous. It is basically Kelly showing off his dancing and Judy Garland singing.

For Me and My Gal is a WWII film, about couple of performers who join the army. But mostly about dancing and singing too.

#20 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:25 PM

Are you a fan of musicals, MC? How many Edward Norton films do you own?
I am the Fisher King.

#21 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:58 PM

Quiz show was great. Real suspenseful!
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#22 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:38 PM

quize show rocked... Robert redford rocks...

as for the ridley scott thing...
BLADERUNNER is my favorite film of all time. (number 1)...[the directors cut esp]...

what struck me as wierd was that when Kubrik died he was unnable to complete A.I. so i assumed Ridley Scott would be the one to finish it...
but it somehow ended up in the hands of Spielberg... which utterly horrified me... I mean Kubrik and Scott were alot closer socialy and in style (even though signifiacntly different). I mean, so much so that the original cinematic release of Bladerunner features left over footage from the opening sequence of the shining tha Kubrik gave to Scott.

It was such an obvious choice!!! Scott should finish A.I.

however Speilberg made what was a pretty interesting flick (and it had MINSITRY on performing live on stage).

and then you had Black Hawk Down which seemed like more of a Speilberg idea for a film (considering his abundance of war related films)

#23 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:16 AM

I have only one Edvard Norton DVD, forgot the English name of the flick, he is a Catholic priest in it and Ben Stiller is his friend the rabbi and they both fall for the same girl. Nothing much, but pretty watchable, and he directed it himself.

As for musicals - I just like Judy Garland, because she was probably the most talented singer of 20 century. For example, I didn't quite like Chicago, it's nothing I would have watched twice.

Barend could you please explain what you mean by "(and it had MINSITRY on performing live on stage)" unsure.gif ??? (and I don't means just the spelling)

#24 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:33 AM

'Ministry' are a band... they perform on stage during the scene at the rally where all the robots are being demolished...

this is the only pic from the film i could find...

but this is a better pic.
Ministry

#25 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 April 2005 - 02:31 AM

I liked both AI and Black Hawk Down. As far as Edward Norton goes, I love Fightclub, but didn't think much of Death to Smoochy. The one with Ben Afflek started good, but grew boring when the girl showed up.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#26 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Apr 6 2005, 10:16 PM)
As for musicals - I just like Judy Garland, because she was probably the most talented singer of 20 century. For example, I didn't quite like Chicago, it's nothing I would have watched twice.

I never saw Chicago and I plan on never seeing it. I was turned off right from the first trailer... too much glitz, it made me physically ill, looked too much like Moulin Rouge. And is it me or did Cathy Zeta-Jones have a really bad haircut in that movie?

Has anyone seen the cult science fiction film The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension?
I am the Fisher King.

#27 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:11 PM

I saw " the Princess Bride" on TV last night. Can anyone explain me how come that this rather insignificant film acquired the "cult movie" status? (Apart from the fact that Mark Knophler whote the music, that is)?

Not that I did not like it, in fact I did, and I sympathise with the boy for not wanting to listen to scenes when they were kissing, I have the same attitude, but it was pretty much about nothing.

#28 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:20 PM

It was just masterfully done. The story was simple and cliche, but they knew it. The sets were beautiful to look at, the characters were likeable, or at least amusing, and the grandfather/grandson interactions manage to focus the emotions and increase interest in the story.

All and all, it is just brilliantly done. Excellent for children, and it still holds for the older watchers.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#29 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:51 PM

What SimeSublime said.

So how about "Terminator 3"? What a piece of junk... but Indiana Jones 4 could be worse (assuming that it ever gets made - but hopefully that won't happen).
I am the Fisher King.

#30 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:36 AM

T3 is about the dumbest scifi film ever made, and I do not except the STAR WARS prequels nor TIMELINE. It's just awful.

THE PRINCESS BRIDE works especially well if you have read Th Three Musketeers, something I learned only months ago when I finally at this late age sat down and read it for the first time. Not to say I didn't already love BRIDE. I did; and I realized it was an homage to action novels Goldman may have grown up with. I just didn't realize how much of an homage it was untill I read Dumas. And of course I read Goldman's novel shortly after seeing the flm when it first came out. A lot of it deserved to be cut from a film adaptation, and I think Goldman and Reiner couldn't have done a better job of bringing it to the screen. That said, however, the long opening aside, about acquiring the book and abridging it to read it to his son, is brilliant.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size