Chefelf.com Night Life: At what exact moment - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

At what exact moment did you decide it all sucked?

#106 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (Mike Mac from NYU @ Mar 29 2005, 07:10 PM)
Jeez, I come back to this forum, and this is the talk going around:

-George Lucas is trying to convince us that the Nazi's should be forgiven???!!! huh.gif -

Sometimes a sci-fi movie is just a sci-fi movie, guys!!! yell.gif
What happened to all the witty reparte we used to have on this forum??

firstly... they are fantasy films...

secondly, the only thing GL is trying to convince us is that second-rate special effects can replace a good story, good direction, good performances, good everything...

What happened to all the witty reparte we used to have on this forum??

it was killed by trolls!!! wink.gif

how you doin' BTW?

#107 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:29 AM

Thrawn, you're joking about being a facist right?
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#108 User is offline   thrawn Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Star Wars, and all that is Nazi

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:47 AM

Well if I was joking then all of this "discussion" was pointless, right?
user posted image
"History is on the move. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from the distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
-- Grand Admiral Thrawn

#109 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:52 AM

Ummm why is it that everyone imagines that Thrawn has to be joking? I really don't see why noone can accept that people would adhere to fascism. I've met people like this, I've had fights with them, and I've also debated peacefully with them. Yes, fascists do exist, get over it.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#110 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:55 AM

I thought it was something that nobody admitted.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#111 User is offline   Moiraine Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Post icon  Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:21 AM

Hi guys smile.gif, I am new so of course I am way too lazy to read all the pages of this topic dry.gif so I'll just ask the original question : where I decided it all sucked.

Well, with the bretzels, of course. You know, the pair of things around Princess Leia's head. dry.gif

Nah really, about the sequels, the thing that really annoyed me was the fate of Anakin's mother : after they went and saved the world, not once did Anakin think about her, and no one of this do-gooders Jedi bunch spared five bucks to buy her back and get her a nice cottage somewhere if supposedly her presence would have interfered with Anakin's training. And then she dies a slave and Anakin roars defiance at the universe? Go figure. :angry:

Then again, I am the mom of a teen son, and doesn't he dare even thinking of doing this to me ! dry.gif devil.gif

#112 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (Moiraine @ Apr 1 2005, 07:21 AM)
Nah really, about the sequels, the thing that really annoyed me was the fate of Anakin's mother : after they went and saved the world, not once did Anakin think about her, and no one of this do-gooders Jedi bunch spared five bucks to buy her back and get her a nice cottage somewhere if supposedly her presence would have interfered with Anakin's training. And then she dies a slave and Anakin roars defiance at the universe? Go figure.  :angry:

Then again, I am the mom of a teen son, and doesn't he dare even thinking of doing this to me !  dry.gif  devil.gif

Welcome to the forum! Please enjoy your stay. smile.gif

That's a good reason to hate Episodes I and II. thumbsup.gif
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#113 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (Moiraine @ Apr 1 2005, 09:21 AM)
after they went and saved the world, not once did Anakin think about her, and no one of this do-gooders Jedi bunch spared five bucks to buy her back and get her a nice cottage somewhere if supposedly her presence would have interfered with Anakin's training. And then she dies a slave and Anakin roars defiance at the universe? Go figure.  :angry:

Now wouldn't that just open up a slippery slope? If we free someone's (much less a Jedi's) mother from slavers, wouldn't we have to do it for everyone's mother?

Sheez, we be practical about it!

devil.gif

I'll give GL this -- at least the prequels aren't as bad as the Federation attack on Nibus III in ST: V.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#114 User is offline   JW Wells Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (njamilla @ Apr 1 2005, 05:03 PM)
Now wouldn't that just open up a slippery slope? If we free someone's (much less a Jedi's) mother from slavers, wouldn't we have to do it for everyone's mother?

You say that like it's a *bad* thing. . . . .

Menace/Clones show the Jedi being passive, in fact maddeningly passive. And what does it get them? One of the reasons I liked KOTOR 2 so much was that it was somewhat about the consequences of not getting involved.

#115 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (Moiraine @ Apr 1 2005, 09:21 AM)
Nah really, about the sequels, the thing that really annoyed me was the fate of Anakin's mother : after they went and saved the world, not once did Anakin think about her, and no one of this do-gooders Jedi bunch spared five bucks to buy her back and get her a nice cottage somewhere if supposedly her presence would have interfered with Anakin's training. And then she dies a slave and Anakin roars defiance at the universe? Go figure.  :angry:

Then again, I am the mom of a teen son, and doesn't he dare even thinking of doing this to me !  dry.gif  devil.gif

my question is why didn't Qui-Gon do anything...

If i were QG, it would have gone more like this...

WATTO: so... you want the slaves? well you can only have one! here is my che- eh... chance cube... if lands on blue you get the woman... if lands on red...
QUI_GON: I get both!
WATTO: what?!?
QUI_GON: *cuts of wattos head, it lands on the ground bloody stump up* what do you know... red!!!

#116 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:44 PM

tongue.gif

I guess the other end would be blue, being watto and all. That's GReat, B.

Welcome, Moiraine. Hope your son't an OT fan. shifty.gif

#117 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 02 April 2005 - 12:01 AM

Could they not have traded something on their ship to Watto in return for Shmi? She never ONCE did a damned thing for Watto. Could Anakin not have traded C3P0 for his mother's freedom, which would have been a very good deal for Watto? Could Amidala not sell half her wardrobe? Could they not find some chunk of the ship to pawn? Howabout selling R2D2? No, they couldn't do that, especially after the award ceremony angry.gif

Thats just one thing that's never explored in the prequels or thats just completely made up. Many minor plot elements are just Lucas covering his ass because he couldnt find any way to work it into the story. For instance:

"Tatooine is the nearest planet"

"The hutts will kill you so you cant come"

"we have bombs in our heads that blow up if we try to escape"

It sounds to be like a D&D game with an incompetent DM who just keeps making up obstacles to keep his story line intact.

"I want to draw my lightsaber and free the slaves."

"Ummm ummm you can't, they have bombs in their heads."

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 02 April 2005 - 12:09 AM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#118 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Apr 2 2005, 12:01 AM)
Could they not have traded something on their ship to Watto in return for Shmi?

In a way, they did the exact opposite. tongue.gif

But, yeah. Good points from where I stand.

#119 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:49 AM

Anakin's mother was a useless role. I've said it before, he should have been introduced as a teenager, not a little kid.

NO mom, no toddlers, no tatooine.

Anakin should have been both dark and light at the same time. Perhaps an affinity to do evil, but also have some regrets for his actions.

Civillian once stated that kids like the Anakin from TPM and AOTC don't grow up into cold blooded killers. They become inverted and wierd at worst, but not killers.

Anakin needs some sort of seeded evil in his spirit in order to help sell the idea that he is going to be the universal Hitler one day.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 02 April 2005 - 01:51 AM

#120 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:22 AM

Anakin's mother was useless, and the fact thaqt she was called Shmi didn't help her any.

Stuff introducing teenage Anakin - fully-fledged adult. Following old Obi-Wan on some idealistic crusade.
Idealism... in its extreme form, the single-mindedness and strength of will to bend the world around your way of thinking. An extraordinary persistence to get the job done that blinds you to the purpose of the task. To err on the side of cruelty - that would be a good foundation for the Dark side of the force - not fearing for your mother or ranting about your mentor. That just makes him seem - like a kid, like a teenager, not like a Dark Lord of the Sith.

Also... who taught Palpatine the ways of the force.
That guy should have been the sith lord.

And why didn't they use the pod money to free Shmi... dumbasses.

As for the moment it all started sucking - he goes by the name of Binks.

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size