Chefelf.com Night Life: New Lois Lane & Lex Luthor - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

New Lois Lane & Lex Luthor God have mercy on us all!!!!!!!!!&

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 09 January 2005 - 12:11 AM

After months and months of screen tests, they say that Kate Bosworth is going to be the new Lois Lane opposite 25 year old soap opera punk Brandon J. Routh in the role of Superman/Clark Kent in Bryan Singer's 2006 Superman Returns, with Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. Now Spacey as Lex I can see, but Kate as Lois? Well, all I can say is... GOD HELP US ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry.gif :angry:
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:09 AM

that girl annoys me...

she's cute... but she annoys me...

i was going to send in a portfolio of work to get a job on those movies, bu was too busy working on another... the only pix i had to submit i wasn't alowed to show... so i didn't do anything...

i'm sure that story had a point....

but fuck it...

#3 User is offline   DBrennan3333 Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Aside from finding myself pathetically addicted to ChefElf's writings, I'm big on:<br /><br />-Star Wars<br />-Futurism<br />-Studying Systems<br />-The Matrix <br />-PS2<br /><br />But that's kind of forcing myself to be specific about things that are ever-changing and actually really broad in the first place. <br /><br />Really I get interested in lots of things.

Posted 26 January 2005 - 05:35 PM

Of course, Brian Singer is going to make Superman "relevent" by turning the whole thing into a thinly-veiled subtext about how....Superman is secretly a homosexual!

Lois Lane will inevitably be "sexually frustrated" and will "find herself" in the joys of promiscuity and lesbianism and Lex Luthor will turn out to be a forgiveable because his dad beat him when he was a kid.

-Usual Suspects sucked
-X Men sucked (one more than the last)
-Superman will suck

#4 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:55 AM

Of all the 20 something actresses they were considering, they could have at least gone with Claire Danes (she seemed like the best actress of the lot) or Keri Russell (she's VERY easy on the eyes).

In a perfect world with me at the helm of "Superman Returns", however, I would have gone with Jim Caviezel as Superman/Clark Kent and made Lauren Graham Lois Lane.

Now I hear that Daniel Day-Lewis is going to play Jor-El, Famke Janssen is gonna play Lara (birth mother of Superman), Eva Marie Saint is gonna play Martha 'Ma' Kent and Kevin Bacon is gonna play John Corbin/Metallo (the robot powered by kryptonite). And I can't help wondering why Day-Lewis, the man who said he can only do roles he feels he can completely devote himself to, the man who turned down the brooding Aragorn in LOTR, could possibly see any redeeming value in the small if slightly crucial role of Jor-El in a half-assed relaunch of the Superman movies [unless he's getting blackmailed].

From what I've heard, "Superman Returns" is going to be a sequel to the first two Superman films that starred the late Christopher Reeve (1952-2004, RIP Chris) while ignoring 3 and 4. The grapevine has it that the people of Earth started hating Superman after the debacle with General Zod in "SM 2" (Zod will reappear in the form of Jude Law) because Superman was so late to save them; this makes the depressed Superman (Brandon Routh) decide that he can't live up to the what us stupid Earth folk expect of him so he exiles himself to his Fortress of Solitude for six years, coming out of retirement when a new threat (presumably Metallo) threatens the Earth.

Why they didn't cast a man over 30 for the Superman role I dunno. Oh wait, it'll attract a bunch of idiot middle/high school girls. Part of me woud like to give Brandon Routh a chance, but to quote the Star Wars characters, I've got a bad feeling about this [movie].
I am the Fisher King.

#5 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:21 PM

Kevin Spacey sucks. I am not going to this one.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#6 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:47 PM

Sucks in general, or sucks for the role? I liked him in LA confidential and Unsual Suspects.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#7 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:15 PM

No, Jordan. You liked THE USUAL SUSPECTS and LA CONFIDENTIAL. You sure didn't like Kevin Spacey. He sucks. He is exactly one mannerism. He's like Robert de Niro or Al Pacino, minus the period when he was great. Spacey never had a great period. He was at his best in SEVEN, where he appeared for so short a time you didn't have the opportunity to realize that you were seeing his entire acting range.

Also: THE USUAL SUSPECTS and LA CONFIDENTIAL sucked. The former is utterly pointless, and people like it only becasue of the "twist" ending that on reflection makes no kind of sense at all. The latter is just all shots borrowed from better movies with no credible plot to hold them together.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#8 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:54 PM

What movies did they borrow from? You didn't like Usual Suspects? You're not one of those guys who hates popular movies/music, are you?

I've never heard anyone call those movies on borrowed material.

Is borrowed even bad? How was the plot the credible? I'm so confused. Thought those movies were awesome.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#9 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2005 - 09:59 PM

I'm not going to go on about how LA CONFIDENTIAL was NOT a modern "film noir," like everyone with a typewriter was calling it. Anyone who has seen CHINATOWN, BLADE RUNNER, ROMEO IS BLEEDING, THE LAST SEDUCTION or even MEMENTO (I do like modern films, see; most of my top 100 are less than 30 years old) knows exactly what modern film noir is supposed to be. LA CONFIDENTIAL is a generic cop show with moody lighting. I yawned so hard my lips split.

I won't go on about what's wrong with THE USUAL SUSPECTS, but I will ask one question: what might your impression of that film have been had you walked out 9 minutes before it ended? Would you have been going on about what an intel;ligent crime show it was, or might you have been scratching oyur head, wondering what was the point of this completely random collection of "cool" guys and generic action situations? Of course, I say the latter. The whole thing is like an episode of Ben Stiller's "Twist Ending Theatre;" the twist ending is so ludicrous and out of nowhere. Pete Postlethwaite is of course great, and Gabriel Byrne injects his role with a quiet guilt, while Benicio is a revelation as the incoherent mechanic. Real funny stuff, if of course pointless: "I had a finger up my asshole tonight..." The others, sadly, and Spacey in particular, are just hard to watch.

So, yeah: Spacey as Lex Luthor: pass. What would have been wrong with bring back Hackman? If this is supposed to be a sequel to that series, why did everyone get younger?

#10 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:30 AM

Gene Hackman, while a great actor, was not a good Lex Luthor. Luthor as a hammy, slumming stand up comic villain nearly wrecked the first two Superman films (then again, "Superman II" had suck choppy editing I'm almost amazed it didn't crash and burn).

This post has been edited by Lord Aquaman: 10 February 2005 - 01:31 AM

I am the Fisher King.

#11 User is offline   kdogg Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Feb 9 2005, 09:59 PM)
I won't go on about what's wrong with THE USUAL SUSPECTS, but I will ask one question: what might your impression of that film have been had you walked out 9 minutes before it ended?  Would you have been going on about what an intel;ligent crime show it was, or might you have been scratching oyur head, wondering what was the point of this completely random collection of "cool" guys and generic action situations?  Of course, I say the latter.  The whole thing is like an episode of Ben Stiller's "Twist Ending Theatre;" the twist ending is so ludicrous and out of nowhere.

I agree with you on this. When I first watched this movie, the last 10-15 minutes were cut off (it was a dubbed VHS tape), and I didn't really enjoy it that much. When I watched the movie in its entirety a few months later, I still didn't think it was as great as everybody else thought it was. I did enjoy LA Confidential, however.

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:08 PM

I liked Hackman as Lex. Han Solo was a would-be stand-up comic by comparison.

And I don't know the party line, but I'd imagine these would be entirely new films. The last round was nearly 30 years ago, so of course we have to have a new interpretation on Pa Kent, young Clark coming into this world and so on.

(Smallville is hardly canon, but I find it kind of fun.)

and with the New Batman movie going into his younger days (right?) It's sort of like a whole new series.

You have to include an origin story. If you don't set the story straight to begin with, it ain't gonna make sense when you backtrack (Lucas.) But more importantly, New Fans. (Supes 2 had one. Spidey 2 had on in comic-book form for the titles.)

#13 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Feb 10 2005, 02:08 PM)
I liked Hackman as Lex. Han Solo was a would-be stand-up comic by comparison.

Don't you ever, EVER compare Hackman's Luthor to Han Solo.
I am the Fisher King.

#14 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2005 - 07:07 PM

How about Jerry Stiller! I think he'd make a great Lex Luther, in a comical sense. Shnitzer's Rye!

#15 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Feb 10 2005, 10:58 PM)
Don't you ever, EVER compare Hackman's Luthor to Han Solo.

(earlier)

Gene Hackman, while a great actor, was not a good Lex Luthor. Luthor as a hammy, slumming stand up comic villain nearly wrecked the first two Superman films (then again, "Superman II" had suck choppy editing I'm almost amazed it didn't crash and burn).

Han was great, no doubt. But he was clever when he needed to be for his character.

Now when Lucas controlled his laugh-tastic Jedi performance, it didn't help put out the fire as the picture spiralled out of control.

Might be argued Hackman's Luthor was written to be cool and funny like Ford's Solo was. sleep.gif

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size