Chefelf.com Night Life: Tony the Tiger and fatty friends banned from TV - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

Tony the Tiger and fatty friends banned from TV Tuesday, Feburary 1, 2005

#1 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:46 AM

Tony the Tiger and fatty friends banned from TV
January 21, 2005

TONY THE TIGER, Ronald McDonald and the Honey Monster could be banned from television screens under European Union plans, supported by the British Government, to curb the advertising of junk food to children. Urgent action was needed to tackle the widespread obesity on the Continent, the European Commission said. It called for food companies to take voluntary action to stop promoting food high in sugar, fat and salt to children.

But Markos Kyprianou, the European Health Commissioner, said that Brussles would legislate if necessary. “I would like to see the industry not advertising directly to children ,” he said. “The signs from the industry are encouraging, positive. But if this doesn’t produce satisfactory results, we will proceed to legislation.”

Legislation would focus on adverts aimed at children, in particular those that use cartoon characters to appeal to children, such as Frostie’s Tony the Tiger, Sugar Puff’s Honey Monster and McDonald’s Ronald McDonald.

An alternative to an outright ban would be to limit such advertising to late at night, when children are presumed to be in bed.

Mr Kyrpianou said: “The idea is that children are protected from direct marketing and advertising convincing them and inducing them to consume too much of this product.”

The Commission issued the warning as a result of concern about the widespread obesity among the Continent’s children. One in four European children is overweight while a third of Italian and Greek children are overweight.

With pressure from many national governments, some large companies have started taking voluntary measures. Recently the US company Kraft said that it would stop advertising to under 12 year olds.

The EU has already banned tobacco advertising on television. The Government said that it would support European legislation if the industry did not reform itself.

Melanie Johnson, the Public Health Minister, said: “There is a strong case for action to limit the advertising and promotion to children of those foods that are high in fat, salt and sugar. “We will monitor progress through Ofcom and if, by early 2007, sufficient progress has not been made, we will introduce a compulsory framework for regulating the promotion of food to children.”

Despite her support, the Government has no right to legislate in this area as Brussels has declared that advertising on television is a European-wide issue as many TV stations are shown in more than one country and because TV signals can leak over borders.

The Government has the right to vote only on proposals put forward by the European Commission but could be outvoted by other governments and so be forced to continue to allow junk food advertising on television against its wishes.

Chris Heaton-Harris, a Conservative in the European Parliament, said that the Commission was making the proposal to win friends among the European public before the vote on the constitution. “The EU is trying to make itself more relevant. It is picking issues where it can get good news stories.”

Ms Johnson also criticised junk food companies that promote “two for one” deals and toys to children. “We are seeing contradictory messages going out to the public. It is important that the momentum towards healthy choices for the public is maintained by the food and drinks industry.”

She criticised double burger promotions, such as that recently run by McDonald’s, as well as toy offers with meals for children. The Government would use Britain’s presidency of the EU this year to press ahead with tackling this, she said.

http://www.timesonli...1449917,00.html

Hmm. I've never seen Ronald MacDonald as a viable reason to go to Macdonalds personally, nor have I seen Tony the Tiger or the Honey Monster. as a reason to buy cereal. If anything, that stupid clown puts me off buying the revolting stuff...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#2 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:46 PM

*stares at keyboard for two minutes, at a complete loss due to utter desolation*

Ok, gotta try to organize my thoughts into something coherent and lucid instead of those not-quite word thoughts.

So, Europe thinks it's fat, so it yells at advertisers that market junk food to children for their mascots? This entire concept is so offensive that I can't even articulate the mental revulsion and contempt for society I feel right now.

IT'S THE FUCKING PARENTS' FAULT FOR NOT TEACHING THE CHILDREN... Ok, Slade, calm down... Ahem... It's the parents' responsibility to keep children from becomming overweight. Not society to shelter everyone from everything that could possibly assist in affecting them. Urge to kill growing...
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#3 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 01 February 2005 - 01:07 PM

More evidence of 'modern man' resorting to the same old idiotic tactics that lead to tyranny.

Tony the tiger and ronald macdonald are irritating and disturbing images invented by sick men, but even i wouldn't suggest Star Wars be banned.

Instead of facing the real issues and problems, reactionaries always respond with facsism.

Fat? Ban it, forbid it, damn it, start out calling this an enemy, then a "killer" then a terrorist, then a monster, so we can "kill." A "war on fat" or choose your term.

Neither left wing nor right wing morons understand the reality behind it, they will respond predictably to any issue they feel a need to confront as an 'enemy.'

Before long we will be killing smokers, fat people, alcoholics, letting them die in the street to starve to death "because they cost us money."

Or if you're on the other side of the fence, condemn them as sources of "the problem" and responsible for harming us.

Ban substances, condemn the people and never worry about the real issues.

Until the left wing gives up on wishing for the death of christians, and their conversion, blaming them and the jews for the bad karma of the world, and until the right wing gives up on blaming the muslims, liberals and environmentalists for every paranoid problem they have with the world and stops burning them at the stake, there will never be a utopian world peace.

Banning Tony the Tiger isn't going to change a thing.

Sugar in coffee, sugar in chocolate, sugar in ice cream, fat in meats, and french fries and all kinds of other things...Christ when will people learn that it is "responsibility" that offers hope to these problems...and you don't get responsibility without freedom.

I surely hope one side or the other kills me soon for something I do, because I am sick of looking at both of you and I really can't stand watching this place decay and die, because Lefty wants a revolution and Righty wants a Crusade.
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#4 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ Feb 1 2005, 06:46 PM)
IT'S THE FUCKING PARENTS' FAULT FOR NOT TEACHING THE CHILDREN... Ok, Slade, calm down... Ahem... It's the parents' responsibility to keep children from becomming overweight. Not society to shelter everyone from everything that could possibly assist in affecting them. Urge to kill growing...

Yes, it is the parents' responsibility to teach their children... but a) many don't and b) a lot of children ignore their parents anyway. Let's face it, companies wouldn't bother advertising on children's TV if they didn't think it was effective. It's not just an issue of individual liberty, either - obesity-related illness costs huge amounts of money to treat, and since Britain and many other European countries have some form of tax-funded health service, everyone pays for this.

I actually support this idea in principle, though I'm not sure how effective it would be in practice. Some other countries such as Sweden already ban junk food advertising to children, but I don't know how much of an effect it's had. Another idea that's being floated around is raising taxes on junk food, as with alcohol and cigarettes.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#5 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:13 PM

i blame parents for everything. and i'm not ashamed of it...
it's a management job with high responsibility. which is why people should have to take a test before having kids.

but parents, in all fairness cannot watch thier kids all the time and this one situtaion where their parental duties are by-passed. Alot of kids find their own way home after school, and go to shcools in cities near the CBD where they can go anywhere for lunch (and lets not forget fieldtrips). these kids will pass McDonalds on a regular basis. Advertising works extremely well on kids. put the facts together... and i think that europe may be onto something...

McDonalds should only be advertised late at night, as it's only practical use is when you're off-your-tits drunk, and stumbling around with alcohunger and you want to go somewhere where the descision making process is cut down to a bare minimum and you'll be too drunk to care about the synthetic tastes. therefore... it's an adult product.

#6 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:37 PM

More EU meddling in what should be our personal affairs. Our illuminate masters must be laughing evily to themselves over this one.

Mcdonalds, and it's evil beyond belief clown? Fine. Ban him, no questions. Mcdonalds can still advertise to the parents anyway.

But banning tony the tiger? are they mad? how much cereal can a kid eat anyway? It's not like the kid's going to go down to the supermarket and buy some on their way home. No, they depend on the parents for that. The parents need to grow a backbone and say 'too much sugar for you, you're getting cornflakes.'
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#7 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:29 PM

An alternative to an outright ban would be to limit such advertising to late at night, when children are presumed to be in bed.

Cereal comercials coming on next to boner pills and sex hotline ads. The thought just tickles me to death. laugh.gif
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#8 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 04 February 2005 - 08:45 AM

I think this is a good idea. Sure, parents should be responsible for their children, but this isn't as simple as watching what games they buy, or what shows they watch. Fast food is cheap. Thats why I eat it. If your not at home, its easy to find and doesn't cost much. As Barend was saying, many children pass it on the way home from school. I remember when I was at school, out bus route changed so that it went past McDonalds. First day that happend people were making plans to run in and get some chips whilst the bus was stopped at the lights. Though they were older children, not those that the ads were aimed at, but I'll get to why it's still relevent. I'll ask you to find a little kid. Don't care whose, just ask them what they like to eat. 9/10 will mention some form of takeaway food. Why? It generally isn't as tasty as homemade stuff(well, it may be, but not in 90% of cases)so why is it so popular with kids? Children have been conditioned to belive that takeaway is better then homemade food because it's takeaway. I know I used to think that as a child, and it took me years to realise that I was just being mislead by advertising. As children, we get sucked into thinking that it's better, and as we get older, we just go ahead and follow suite. And as to the issue of parents stopping it, have you ever had a little kid jumping around and screaming about McDonalds, every single night?
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#9 User is offline   xmradiodave Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Feb 4 2005, 08:45 AM)
It generally isn't as tasty as homemade stuff

You have never tried my wifes cooking. sick.gif

#10 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:09 AM

Well that would be why I added the qualifier 'generally' tongue.gif

This post has been edited by SimeSublime: 06 February 2005 - 02:10 AM

The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#11 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:21 PM

People say the same things about smoking, and thats already being banned in public places. They also banned smoking companies from adverting before they did that. I wonder if the EU will put a ban on eating McD in public places incase fumes from the food make people fat. That would make a sweet court case...

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:29 PM

Oh, it's tasty.

When the McDonald's finally came to our sleepy little midwest town, it carried the Pirate theme and went up right across the street from the high school (the Pirates being the mascot.)

Lots of folks found it awful convenient. It's for every age group as a by-product. The happy-meal is a low cost alternative that pleases many parents And kids, both of which don't know any better or exercise caution with the trade-off of convenience.

But the Honey Monster? What the heck is that? And yes, I know I can run a search. I'm just surprised they kept Sugar in the name. I remember from the days of Quisp and Quake, where Sugar Bear was a real happenin' dude. Then it became Super Golden Crisp. His Kellogg's rival, Dig' Em was the frog mascot of Sugar Smacks, which became Honey Smacks.

So, I guess I learned something else today. smile.gif the Honey Monster.

#13 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:38 AM

kellogs nutra grain = 49% sugar
kellogs froot loops = 52% sugar

yep... cereal's real good for kids.

smile.gif

#14 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:33 AM

I understand that Honey Monster is a British thing. Yahtzee wrote an article articulating his fear of it once.

I'm currently on holiday, so I get up at 11ish and just eat lunch.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size