Chefelf.com Night Life: How long does it take to make bad films? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

How long does it take to make bad films?

#1 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:00 AM

One of the great mysteries of the Star Wars prequels for me is the time that was involved in making them.

George Lucas had over twenty years to think about these movies and has used three years to make each one.

With this amount of time, there is no excuse for these films.

#2 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 08 May 2004 - 08:57 PM

he waited till the last minute. I think it's obvious. He had the time but did nothing with it.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#3 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:48 PM

Kind of makes you wonder why he bothered making these films at all... seeing he didn't see fit to actually put in the time to make these movies as good as they should have been.

#4 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:59 PM

Maybe he just had a horrible case of writer's block. Or maybe he really didn't want to make another Star Wars, but he was so pressured by fans and studios that he ended up making them before he had put any real thought into them. Or he was too busy making Howard the Duck.

#5 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:34 PM

That's an interesting thought actually... did we pressure him into making these movies against his will? That would put a new perspective on things and maybe make Lucas into more of a pitiful figure than a wanker.

"Look what you made me do!" he could say, crying. "I never wanted to make more films in the first place but you forced me to do these... and now look at the mess I've made!"

However, if he thought it was too much pressure and he didn't want to do it, he should have given the film rights to Timothy Zahn and Peter Jackson.

Ah... rolleyes.gif ... it is sweet just thinking about what the films would have been like if they had been made by that partnership.

#6 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ May 8 2004, 10:34 PM)
However, if he thought it was too much pressure and he didn't want to do it, he should have given the film rights to Timothy Zahn and Peter Jackson.

Well, we all know he's too arrogant for that. If he was going to make SW movies, he was going to make them by himself, because he didn't want anyone else making them. I would love Zahn to have written the prequels, but I don't know if Jackson is right for Star Wars. I would instead get an up-and-coming director to put a fresh spin on it. Or maybe Steven Spielberg. I know, even though they're "partners-in-crime" Spielberg is still a fabulous director, and I would be interested in his vision of Star Wars. Too late now though.

#7 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, a new director would be good... a talented unknown... and there must be many talented unknowns out there. There are probably a few of the film guys on this forum who could have directed it.

And yes, I agree that while being a partner in crime, Spielberg can make some good films. That said, he can also make bad films as well... but usually these films are still well directed.

#8 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 09 May 2004 - 09:06 PM

what scares me is that AI (originally a Kubric project) was finished by Speilburg of all people... when the real obvious choice would have been Ridley Scott (given his friendship with Kubric), but Ridley Scott mad Black Hawk Down...

#9 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (Jordan @ May 8 2004, 08:57 PM)
he waited till the last minute. I think it's obvious. He had the time but did nothing with it.

So just like the majority of school and University students Lucas had the notes all the notes and had checked out all the books nice and early, but still wrote the paper the night before it was due.

I love this analogy Jordan. It's fantastic and has amused me greatly. Which very few things about Lucas have done lately.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#10 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 10 May 2004 - 12:17 AM

So just like the majority of school and University students Lucas had the notes all the notes and had checked out all the books nice and early, but still wrote the paper the night before it was due.

That analogy was pretty damn good as well, Supes!

#11 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:27 AM

I recall in psychology, they suggested that if you study while drunk
or on drugs, you might as well take the test under the same circumstances.

that theory may help to explain.
and to follow-up after the movie's release
would certainly help ease the pain.

#12 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:29 AM

Hell, perhaps seeing these movies when you are drunk might be fun!

#13 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:35 AM

Actually, that reminds me...

Does anyone think that maybe these movies are bad enough to be good?

You know, like Plan 9 from Outer Space comedy value.

#14 User is offline   Esco Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:I love playing baseball, fishing, spending work day ripping on the SW prequels, hanging out with my wife, going to church, working out, writing music, producing music, watching movies, going for long walks (with wife), hanging out with friends.

Posted 10 May 2004 - 01:56 PM

JYAMG,

I think Episode II definitely applies as a so bad it's good movie, since it's funny and amusing, but for all the wrong reasons.
For example, I find the Obiwan diner scene hilarious, but not in the context of Star Wars. Dex's voice also is great, but again, not fitting for a other-worldly looking alien.

Anakin riding the huge tick in the plains of Naboo definitely is another terriblly amusing scene. That scene alone sealed Lucas' fate with episode II.

Episode I has no redemming qualities (IMHO). It's so slow, that I can't stick around to see if it's unintentionally funny or not.

#15 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:38 PM

Dex's voice acting is OVER THE TOP. It's ridiculous.

Anakin ruding the tick: dumb.

I still think AOTC is mind-numbingly boring. Perhaps having the three years to let TPM sink in made me less easily entertained. I dunno.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size