Chefelf.com Night Life: The Passion of the Mel [as in Gibson] - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

The Passion of the Mel [as in Gibson] Mel Gibson shafted for director's Oscar

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 21 December 2004 - 11:59 PM

Mel Gibson and his controversial religious money maker "The Passion of the Christ" hasn't gotten any Oscar nods whatsoever - not for directing, acting, cinematrography, torture - nothing. I'm assuming that's because the film caused too much controversy, but tell me, does anyone here feel that Mel deserves an Oscar for "Passion"?

And while we're on the subject of "The Passion" and Oscar, should Jim Caviezel be given an Oscar for his portrayal of the battered, beaten, bloodied, bruised/long-suffering Jesus Christ?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:34 AM

i don't know... for me it didn't live up to the hype...

everyone said it was the biggest anti-semetic tool ever created...
and yet when i saw it... Nothing. I went to that movie assuming i'd come out a nazi, but all i got was the lousy opinion that Mel Gibsons good on both sides of the camera... and can really pull together an impressive film...
tongue.gif

but seriously... i liked it.
my only greivence is that it was just too catholic... tongue.gif
for how well i thought it was made, i think it missed the point of why you would tell the story...

I'm no expert Christian, but I would have thought the most important thing about Jesus was the example he lead his whole life, not the slow painful death that we watched for however long i was in there...

but it is being nominated for best foreign language film. So Mel stil gets a chance at the bling-man. but i think the film deserves a little more credit... It was well made, well acted, and nicley artistified...
just a little malfocused...

#3 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:50 PM

the film left me feeling pretty cold and detached, although he did make some bravish choices. I heard originally that he didnt even want subtitles in it.

#4 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 23 December 2004 - 06:32 PM

i also thought killing off the main character was quite a brave choice...
but then he comes back at the end...

#5 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 24 December 2004 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Dec 24 2004, 12:32 AM)
i also thought killing off the main character was quite a brave choice...
but then he comes back at the end...

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Excellent, barend.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#6 User is offline   Stongbah Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 December 2004 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for the spoilers you tool.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size