Chefelf.com Night Life: From 6'1" to 6'7" - the Darth Vader growth spurt - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

From 6'1" to 6'7" - the Darth Vader growth spurt the size of Vader

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:14 PM

Among the many Hayden Christensen complaints, there have been complaints that he's not big enough to wear the Darth Vader suit. Hayden's is listed as 6'1" and looks very skinny. The original Darth Vader, David Prowse, was 6'7" and looked like he weighed well over 200 lbs, being a British weight-lifting champion and all that.

I find that many Star Wars fan fics write pre-Vader Anakin as being very tall and muscular, perhaps because of the original Vader was so big and brawny.

Do the rest of you feel that the actor playing Anakin should have been extraordinarily tall and muscular? If that's how it should have been then there's only one guy I can think of who could have fit the bill - Daniel Cudmore, the 6'8" weightlifter who played Colossus in X-Men 2.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2004 - 01:14 PM

I think Anakins height is ok the way it is, if he were that much taller, Obi Wan would look a bit silly next to him. Besides, isn't Vaders body almost completely mechanic after the lava dip? So those 6 inches and that bulk are easily accounted for. smile.gif To me the height thing itself is not important at all, considering the very long list of other annoying issues that plague the PT that could have been made better...

#3 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2004 - 10:00 PM

I'm with Lord Aquaman on this. Having Anakin as a skinny rake bothered me immensely. It's already bad enough that he's a whiny immature adolescent.

And no, I do not buy that theory about his mechanical components bulking him up. There's only so much bulking you can do within the limits of a human framework. They could bulk him up a little bit but nowhere near how much would be required to make him Vader.

#4 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2004 - 04:56 AM

And no, I do not buy that theory about his mechanical components bulking him up. There's only so much bulking you can do within the limits of a human framework. They could bulk him up a little bit but nowhere near how much would be required to make him Vader.

Have you seen "Extreme Makeover" biggrin.gif
Seriously, what if there's just his head and a bit of torso salvagable when Obi Wans finished with him? "He's more machine now than man, twisted and evil." Oh my God I'm defending a PT issue. Hope Jariten doesn't see this.

#5 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2004 - 05:48 AM

Really, the height problem is the least of my complaints about Hayden Christensen as Vader. Maybe his shoes have just extremely thick soles - Tom Cruise- wise

#6 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:05 AM

I don't think that Anakin is conciously that immature. His behavior was more of a fringe lunatic at times than a brat. At least brats don't go on massacres and slaughter entire villages!

#7 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 11 December 2004 - 07:35 AM

Honestly, the change in personality (for the better, IMO) between Anakin and Vader bothers me a lot more than the change in height. Though I agree that Hayden Christensen's 'boy-band' looks don't exactly make Anakin's character any easier to take seriously.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#8 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2004 - 09:23 AM

I doubt anyone will really think too much about the change. Like HK said god knows whats left of anakin after the duel.

At least brats don't go on massacres and slaughter entire villages!

At least brats dont have their tortured to death mothers die in their arms!

#9 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2004 - 09:29 AM

Indeed. The looks and acting merits of Christensen and Anakins personality in the PT is another (bad) thing all together, but it's got nothing to do with Anakins/Vaders height. I feel that a physical change when it comes to Anakin/Vader isn't a bad thing. It enforces the idea that he goes through a tremendous change when he becomes Vader. And besides, even though Hayden isn't even close to my visual idea of what Anakin should look like, the idea of having him be a hulking giant of a man doesn't have much appeal either. His son certainly didn't inherit any such physique smile.gif

#10 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:59 PM

The suit makes up for the six inches. With the helmet and botts and all the mecahnical stuff 6 inches wouldn't be that hard to make up.

#11 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 11 December 2004 - 05:21 PM

I guess the question I should be asking is: "Why the Hell are they letting Hayden Christensen wear the suit instead of hiring a big guy to wear the suit?" I can't help fearing that even with James Early Jones doing Vader's voice Christensen will somehow screw up in the Vader suit.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#12 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:40 PM

they were going to get a tall guy but christianson begged them...
he actually admits to this in a doco...

it's lame...

i don't think they needed a tall guy to play anikan...
if anything it makes sense that he would have been made taller...

if you dragged me out of lava and said..."I'm going to make you a dark cybernetic warrior"

my last words would be "... make me 7 foot tall..."

but in saying that... he should have been made 6'7" not 6'1" leaving us to assume he got an upgrade...

that's just dumb...

#13 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:14 PM

Im sure if they made ELijah Wood and the rest of the hobbits 3 feet smaller than they can make HAyden CHristiansen in a Vader suit look 6 inches taller.

#14 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:41 AM

You're amazingly hopeful, my friend. Where does all this unfounded optimism come from?

#15 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE (use the force @ Dec 12 2004, 10:14 PM)
Im sure if they made ELijah Wood and the rest of the hobbits 3 feet smaller than they can make HAyden CHristiansen in a Vader suit look 6 inches taller.

actually.... that's a good call.

the only thing is he does look skinny in there...

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size