Chefelf.com Night Life: Eighties nostalgia - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Eighties nostalgia I pity the fool who don't like it!

#16 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 10 December 2004 - 06:31 AM

Anybody recall what the hell we ate back then? I know the two liters had the still unexplained black bottom pieces but thats all I really remember. Oh yeah and I think Gushers and Amazin fruit gummi bears debuted sometime in the late eighties and I subsequently professed them to be the greatest thing ever.

I remember the eighties was a time of big action movie stars, the heyday of Rutger Hauer and Dolph Lundgren. Also Wilson-Phillips was quite popular then for some reason as well. I remember all those movies you mentioned, Jordan they all totally owned. As well as Naked Gun and Beverly Hills cop. I dont think I watched die hard but I recall the theme from Axel Foley's adventures.

Oh man and Saturday night live didn't suck and Michael Jackson was acceptable even to people with children. Oh and I think Ring Pops debuted in the eighties as well. I wonder how long it took people to come up with that idea.

Oh, and the Kush ball and the Slinky. Those things kicked more ass than my GI Joe battle mobile and my Starscream action figure combined. They didn't break as easily either. Speaking of breaking they should have used the same technology on old star scream as they did on my damned McDonalds action figures. Have any of you guys tried to bash the damned things? I used the following implements of destruction on mine: The garage door, a hammer, a screw driver, my dad's ford bronco, and who knows what else. I think I ended up using fireworks in the end. When I lead the revolution I'm covering myself in McDonalds toys as armor.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#17 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 December 2004 - 04:57 AM

I just watched Eddie Murphey's Raw last night. That was excellent. Now I just need to get a copy of Dilerious.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#18 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2004 - 05:59 AM

Rutger Hauer certainly was hot these days, and he's completely gone to seed now. I remember last year I watched once again the Ladyhawke, his film with Michelle Pfeiffer (she was also very hot back then). I really liked it, but I just winced and shuddered when I heard the music, SOOOO very eighties, by ALan Parsons Project.

And Depeche Mode was heard everywhere. I was not very keen on it back then, and I could not understand the grafilli on every wall in Poland "DM". To me DM meant Deutsche Mark, which, sadly, is not with us any more replaced by EURO.

#19 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 11 December 2004 - 05:13 PM

Damn that euro! Seriously. At my house, for some reason we have a keyboard that has the Euro symbol in the Num Lock slot. You need to hold Shift down to use numlock, otherwise you get that euro symbol. It was really irritating.

80s, Ninja Turtles, all of those Disney shows (which actually weren't bad, somehow and don't forget Goof Troop). Goonies and Sandlot and Bill & Ted... I was like 4 when the 80s ended, and the 90s are kinda a blur, and the 2000s are already getting there. However, you can't forget Soundgarden. Superunknown is a brilliant album.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#20 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 11 December 2004 - 05:41 PM

I grew up in during the 80's (born 1981) I lived the 90's. Yes the Euro is lame and for reasons I'm not entirely sure why. The idea of countries dropping their currencies and all adopting a standard one is creepy.

TV commericals from the 80's I remember

-night light
-simmon
-life cereal
-mouse trap

Come to thing about it, almost all of the commericals I remember had to do with constructive games (board games) or cereal ads

Who remembers the "eggs! get crackin'" TV ads? Camp Caribou was the shit and in my town big bright pink skate boards with fat plastic bumber guards were all the craze.

What about "THE HILARIOUS HOUSE OF FRIGHTENSTEIN". It was produced during the 70's but ran reruns during the 80's. With vincent Price

This post has been edited by Jordan: 11 December 2004 - 05:44 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#21 User is offline   electricprune Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Theremin playing, experimental music, cable access tv, amateur photography, indie film, hula hooping, blueberries, yogurt, macaroni and cheese, walking long distances, psychedelic music

Posted 11 December 2004 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Dec 11 2004, 05:59 AM)
Rutger Hauer certainly was hot these days, and he's completely gone to seed now. I remember last year I watched once again the Ladyhawke, his film with Michelle Pfeiffer (she was also very hot back then). I really liked it, but I just winced and shuddered when I heard the music, SOOOO very eighties, by ALan Parsons Project.

Ah, raggin' on Alan Parsons Project! I love those guys. Never did see Ladyhawke though. That reminds me, Tangerine Dream did a lot of good soundtrack work in the 80s too. "Firestarter" comes to mind.

#22 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 12 December 2004 - 01:26 AM

I remember Ladyhawke. It had a tiny version of Matthew Broderick in it. And yeah the music was horrible but it was a good kind of horrible.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#23 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2004 - 03:15 AM

That horrible music is philp harmonics. I think that's it. Rutger Hauer played one of my all time favorite villians. The bad guy from BLADE RUNNER. He was a tragic villian, always the best. I wanted him to win in the end sad.gif
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#24 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 12 December 2004 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Dec 10 2004, 06:31 AM)
Oh, and the Kush ball and the Slinky.

The slinky's been around a lot longer than that, I think...

#25 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:13 PM

As I type this I wear a Thunder Cats T-shirt. They used to show it on Toonami until a few years ago. That show ruled.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#26 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Dec 11 2004, 05:59 AM)

that film has remained one of the best fantasy films of all time...

it has not dated at all...

but that music... bleech... it was dated at the time.... innapropriate, and totally out of sinc with the period in which it was set...

like 'a knights tale' but less tacky...

loved rutger hauer... in the the late 80s he and my father could have been identical twins...

also good...
IRON FUCKING MAIDEN (and yes JYAMG I DID have to swear)

metal and punk in general...
sythpop, industrial, goth, sythpop that everyone called industrial, etc.

HORROR movies that fed both sides of our brain by providing both gratuitous violence/gore AND nudity, full frontal female nudity...

not so good...
Ronal regan banning violence and nudity...

pirate.gif pirate.gif pirate.gif pirate.gif
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

#27 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2004 - 02:15 AM

- IRON FUCKING MAIDEN -

I can't recall one of their songs. JYAMG has a degree in English. He's a steward of the language, or something like that. Poor english is a smack to his cheek. So 9/10 people would offend him. Myself included.

#28 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2004 - 02:33 AM

I am glad people here remember Ladyhawke and share my opinion about the awful music.

And I use a lot of EURO symbol. Actually I am looking forward when we renounce our currency and take up EURO. Saves a lot of bother in trading, honestly.

And more from the eighties – fashion of course. New romantic hairstyles ! Floppy fringes! Banged-up shirts with wide belts! High waisted narrow-legged jeans! Bat-wing sweaters!

And, last but not least – Dirty Dancing “I’m crazy for Swayze”. I actually never saw it – at 16, I considered myself too mature and grown-up to watch such rubbish.

#29 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:03 AM

thrift stores, fuzzy navels, white zinfidel, nachos, potato "skins," Crowded House was a real band then. Live Aid, MTV showing Videos, the cup holder, Andrew Lloyd Webber (groan,) New Wave, Ronald Reagan joking about bombing USSR (I loved it,) Macintosh 1984 commercial, Black coffee makers, Mary Lou Retton, royal wedding, Video arcades. Some of the best years of my life.

#30 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Dec 14 2004, 10:03 AM)
Ronald Reagan joking about bombing USSR (I loved it,)

In retrospect I have to admit that was pretty funny.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size