Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Do clothes make the women? A Star Wars wardrobe observation/rant

#16 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Xombie @ Dec 7 2004, 09:41 AM)
Attack of the Clones was a bad movie.
If Natalie Portman had been naked in it it would still have been a bad movie.
But...it would have been a better bad movie.

and i would buy a copy....

--------------------------

the thing is... padme is a queen and like 16 years old... she didn't look all that different to how most 16 year old girls would dress if they were queen for only 8 years...

blowing the buget on their hair cut.

this actually brings up a really good point!!!

HOLY SHIT!!!

when i watched TPM, i though wow she's a pretty young queen... her parents must of died. but then in ANH we find out she was elected...
so who the fuck votes for a sixteen year old to rule over them?

#17 User is offline   Sagacity Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:03 PM

It's even worse. In TPM she was 14. blink.gif

#18 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:18 PM

AHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

WHO THE FUCK VOTES FOR A 14 YEAR OLD.... even then, she was already elected... so she would have been even younger!!!!

#19 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 10 April 2005 - 10:45 PM

I made that point in one of the other threads kicking around -

But... and here's the really weird bit....
Who were her competitors in the election that they were so young/incompetent/not porcelain enough/old/competent to be elected queen?

#20 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:33 AM

hey, yeah... ouch. that would be a crushing defeat...

galaxy in news
mondale to amidala: "where's the beef?"

mondale arested for lewd coment to minor.

minor elected by default.

#21 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:59 AM

For some reason, I believe that Naboo elects only teenaged girls who have no experiance in worldly matters, let alone galactic politics and running the day to day affairs of an entire planet when girls her age don't even have any influence as to what they'll be eating for dinner the next day! :mad:

#22 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:58 AM

It's the same "Fantasy vs. Science" problem as with midichlorians. It's Fantasy Fairytale Queen vs. Democratically Elected Leader. Lucas again tries to merge opposed concepts with laughable results.

Would love to see a political campaign on Naboo.
"I'm cuter than you, and my dress is outraaageous!"
"No, I'm prettier and I have an even more extravagant fashion sense!!"
"But I can speak in a really weird accent!"
"Oh, poop..."

If I recall correctly way back there was a few threads on the absurdity of "elected Queens".

#23 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (Paladin @ Apr 11 2005, 02:59 AM)
For some reason, I believe that Naboo elects only teenaged girls who have no experiance in worldly matters, let alone galactic politics and running the day to day affairs of an entire planet when girls her age don't even have any influence as to what they'll be eating for dinner the next day! :mad:

Strangely enough, the elected queen of AOTC looked like she was well into her 40s (though it is hard to tell with all that make up).

This post has been edited by Lord Aquaman: 11 April 2005 - 09:14 AM

I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#24 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (HK 47 @ Apr 11 2005, 02:58 PM)
It's the same "Fantasy vs. Science" problem as with midichlorians. It's Fantasy Fairytale Queen vs. Democratically Elected Leader. Lucas again tries to merge opposed concepts with laughable results.

Would love to see a political campaign on Naboo.
"I'm cuter than you, and my dress is outraaageous!"
"No, I'm prettier and I have an even more extravagant fashion sense!!"
"But I can speak in a really weird accent!"
"Oh, poop..."

What I don't understand is why Lucas couldn't just make her a constitutional monarch? That way he could have his Fantasy Fairytale Queen without all the nasty undemocratic absolute monarchy stuff. And why the hell wasn't she queen of Alderaan, not some stupid little planet we'd never heard of before? Grrrrr.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#25 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (Helena @ Apr 11 2005, 07:18 AM)
What I don't understand is why Lucas couldn't just make her a constitutional monarch? That way he could have his Fantasy Fairytale Queen without all the nasty undemocratic absolute monarchy stuff. And why the hell wasn't she queen of Alderaan, not some stupid little planet we'd never heard of before? Grrrrr.

Because George is crazy.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#26 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 11 April 2005 - 05:49 PM

I agree - he's spent so much time by himself/writing stuff thinking its a good idea with no foil to check his work/ believing his own press/ buying his own hype/ eating his own tripe that he is probably non compos mentis these days.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size