Chefelf.com Night Life: Punk - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Punk What Is It?

#16 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 06 December 2004 - 07:15 PM

The word faggot is a very ugly word and everytime it is used as an insult I can't but feel being insulted a bit myself.

Accusing people of homosexuality as an insult is the only thing I've slapped my friends for doing.

#17 User is offline   Shawnathan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 06 December 2004 - 08:34 PM

I apoligize, I didn't mean as faggot being offensive torward being homosexual in my post. I'll edit it and get rid of it. I don't use the word all the time.

I tried to edit it, but my guess it's been reported. I apoligize again.

This post has been edited by Shawnathan: 06 December 2004 - 08:39 PM

--Idiotic Inc. "Teaching Cheerleaders to use birth control since 2004"
--They Call Him Rick: I'm telling you, it's not that bad

#18 User is offline   electricprune Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Theremin playing, experimental music, cable access tv, amateur photography, indie film, hula hooping, blueberries, yogurt, macaroni and cheese, walking long distances, psychedelic music

Posted 06 December 2004 - 09:41 PM

I usually associate the term "punk" with the idea that you can create something on your own without any formal training or corporate backing, the DIY (Do it Yourself) aesthetic if you will. This wouldn't just apply to music, but also to independently operated businesses, fanzines, personal websites, etc.

#19 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:53 AM

Well put, electricprune. Heck, the most famous punk magazine (PUNK) was started in some guy's basement, and issues of it from the 70s are worth somewhere in the area of $500 or so now. Even Alternative Press started out as a 'zine.

(Shawnathan: users only have the ability to edit their posts for thirty minutes after posting. That's why you couldn't edit it.)

#20 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:31 AM

Hot damn! I love the DIY way of thinking, it is in my opinion the purest way to creation. It is where the art comes not from greed or formulas, but from the heart and will never be corrupted.

I'm punk check the eyeliner!

#21 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:28 PM

I think I have a bit of that in me. I modify my own clothes (most of which are second-hand) and make my own bracelets and so on sometimes. Mostly, it's just fun and I enjoy doing it. I don't really think of it as "DIY" per se, I just like modifying clothes and stuff.

#22 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:54 AM

I'm as far from DIY as you can get. I've just never been very artistic.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#23 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 08 December 2004 - 11:23 AM

I do try with the clothes, but the extent of my own modification thus far is saftet-pinning up a pair of ripped trousers. Mostly I just practise "wear what the hell you like, no matter what anyone says."

If you want DIY, a band an acquaintance of mine is in records their songs by recording each instrument for a song into Sound Recorder, then merges them together and sticks them on the Internet. I don't think you can get anymore DIY recording than that...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#24 User is offline   Shawnathan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:11 PM

Sometimes, punkers pass me by as weak minded individuals. Can't have their own style, so they just end up trying to blend in with the crowd. No offense.

QUOTE ("Chyld")
Mostly I just practise "wear what the hell you like, no matter what anyone says."

I do agree with you there, just in my view it's "wear straight leg jeans and tucked in T-shirt, no matter no one says."
--Idiotic Inc. "Teaching Cheerleaders to use birth control since 2004"
--They Call Him Rick: I'm telling you, it's not that bad

#25 User is offline   electricprune Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Theremin playing, experimental music, cable access tv, amateur photography, indie film, hula hooping, blueberries, yogurt, macaroni and cheese, walking long distances, psychedelic music

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:15 PM

If you want DIY, a band an acquaintance of mine is in records their songs by recording each instrument for a song into Sound Recorder, then merges them together and sticks them on the Internet. I don't think you can get anymore DIY recording than that...

In fact Reader and I have recorded a few tracks like this. Ooh, we're so "punk."

Shameless plug...If anyone's into experimental noise music, feel free to give a listen to "Exploring the Infinite Abyss" on the Acidplanet site (hope ya don't mind, Reader):

Click here for some sonic insanity

Heccubus also has a few of his own profiles set up. Dude, you're too punk for your own good.

This post has been edited by electricprune: 08 December 2004 - 07:25 PM

#26 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:22 PM

punk is dead?

i'm so fucking sick of hearing that...

the correct phrase would be youth is dead, rebellion is dead, cool is dead...

punk didn't die... it's audience did.

i don't like the things that get called punk these days, because they're weak...

my punk is Dead Keneddys, Dead Milkmen, Buzzcocks, Stoogers, Clash, Ramones, Sex Pistols, etc.

this music ment something to me, and still does...
industrial music was part of this...

punk wasn't about rebeling against the establishment, or being offensive to people you didn't like...

i was a revolution... casting aside everythinh rock or pop was suppose to be... conservatorium trained proffesional session musicians...

it was raw...

unlike all the little pansy ass chicken shit conformists running around today listening to hypno-toad top 40 repedative 'purchase this product' chant...

punk is alive and well...
it's just suffering from being a tree falling in the woods that no one can hear...

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size