Chefelf.com Night Life: US graffiti on ancient Babylon's walls - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (3 Pages)
  • +

US graffiti on ancient Babylon's walls Monday, November 1, 2004

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 01 November 2004 - 08:56 AM

US graffiti on ancient Babylon's walls
Friday 29 October 2004, 12:01 Makka Time, 9:01 GMT   

Hammurabi the law-giver was here. So were Nebuchadnezzar, Alexander the Great, Saddam Hussein and now, apparently, Sergeant Woods.

US soldiers are the latest in a long line of powerful forces visited on ancient Babylon and they have left their mark, in graffiti scratched into walls Saddam added in the hope of joining his predecessors' pantheon.

"Folks come through here and are like, 'Kilroy was here'," says Major David Gilleran, an army chaplain guiding 16 US reservists among the mud-brick walls and shards of cuneiform-inscribed tablets.

Carrying automatic weapons, US soldiers and their foreign allies walk through the world-famous cradle of civilisation, now within the walls of a military base run by Polish soldiers 80km south of Baghdad.

"You could almost say all roads lead to Babylon," says Gilleran, 50, from Daphne, Alabama. "This is a focal point in history. Alexander the Great was fascinated with Babylon. Saddam, too.

"This place represents the greatness in human history. We're just passing through."

Welcome departure

Iraqi security forces are supposed to take over the base by the year's end, and Iraqis say they cannot wait.

"For me, Americans and Polish, out!" a man at the site said in English. "Babylon is 4000, 5000 years [old]. It's for all civilisations, not Americans. They must go." He asked not to be identified.

"The Americans are here. They've occupied the country and put Saddam away, and I think everyone appreciates that," said Donny George, a Ministry of Culture official, who directed an archaeological dig at Babylon during Saddam's time.

"But going back to these ancient cities, it does nothing for the image of the Americans," George said.

Hammurabi's code

The English-language graffiti is not widespread and does not appear to have caused extensive harm. Arabic script is also scrawled on the walls. US-led forces have spent tens of thousands of dollars repairing ruins and protecting them from looters, and are investigating whether US and Polish heavy machinery and rotor wash from helicopters are inflicting damage.

"Babylon surpasses in splendor any city in the known world"

Greek historian Herodotus
The city dates back some 4000 years. Hammurabi, credited as the first ruler to encode law, made it his capital. His code, written 1700 years before Christ, includes the timeworn maxim: "If a man put out the eye of another man, his eye shall be put out."

Rebuilt by Nebuchadnezzar more than 1000 years later, the city boasted the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.

Nebuchadnezzar sent his vast army from here to Jerusalem to put down an uprising and bring the Jews back as slaves. "Babylon surpasses in splendour any city in the known world," wrote Herodotus, the Greek historian, in the 400s BCE.

Alexander the Great died suddenly in Babylon around 320 BCE, possibly poisoned. Saddam Hussein rebuilt atop Nebuchadnezzar's original walls, to the chagrin of archaeologists.

Following orders

"There were direct orders from Saddam to put up the walls. As archaeologists, we didn't like this, but we couldn't say no at that time," George, the ministry official, said. 

The site, which includes a 2600-year-old stone lion, its snout missing, drew few foreign tourists during Saddam's government.

Now US-led forces photograph Saddam's walls, studded with bricks recording his claims of glory.

"My kingdom will last forever," Gilleran translates from the classical Arabic script, to chuckles from the American soldiers.

Gilleran offers words of caution, though: "America's a young country. We have Jamestown, Williamsburg. This is another, 3000 years older. Americans need to stop and think a bit. We're a great power, but we weren't the first. We need to treat sites like this with reverence."

Then, pointing up to a Saddam-era palace looming over the ruins, he lays out his own scenario for the future: "It's possible to imagine a Marriott with a five-star restaurant. There could be a bed and breakfast up there."

http://english.aljaz...9DCEDACF9A5.htm

If there are any of those patriotic, bald eagle picture having, american flag flying, football watching, beer swilling fortysomethings who wonder why the rest of the world hates America, they can look no further than the ruins of Babylon. Not that they'd know what Babylon is or appreciate any history older than 200 years or so.

Extra Halloweeny thanks to barend for this one!
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:06 AM

Oh for fucks sake, kick the smacktards in the cojones and get them the fuck out of there. That's as nice as I can be about this.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#3 User is offline   Creaux Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Um, I like music, Studying religion from Catholocism to the occult, warhammer and DND and other nerdy things, being kind to people, freaking people out. And swords.

Posted 01 November 2004 - 01:40 PM

Mmm. Classy.

I like the bit advising Americans to take the lesson.

#4 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 01 November 2004 - 05:21 PM

I've flown a flag in my car for fifteen years. I don't swill beer, but kentucky bourbon is ok. I watch football when my team plays, and I'm almost forty-something.

I don't need anyone to tell me the world hates the United States. I see it, hear it, read it, feel it and taste it every single day. sleep.gif

#5 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 01 November 2004 - 06:14 PM

I'm hoping I'm not the only one who read this and thought along these lines:

"Ohgodohgodohgodohgod they did what they fucking did what?! No. Nonononono I am not reading this they did not do that those bastards! Let me at them! I'll kill them with my bare hands those ignorant, disrespectful, PIECES! OF! SHIT!"

It's...it's Babylon for god's sake! You don't mess with something like that, you cherish it! Leave it alone! sad.gif

I'm going to go whimper quietly in a corner over the blasphemy of it all.

This post has been edited by Jane Sherwood: 01 November 2004 - 06:19 PM

Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#6 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 01 November 2004 - 07:56 PM

I can't wait til some dumb Americans decidee to have a kegger at the Parthenon. Then our reputation as a civilization will be completely ruined. Maybe someone stateside should adopt a code of laws, among them such jewels of wisdom as :

Don't invade random countries

Don't ignore the rest of the world

If you must do the above things don't piss all over the invaded country's history, assface!

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#7 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 01 November 2004 - 08:55 PM

Mother fucker!!!!

Nebuchadnezzar, ruler of the first great civilization, ruler of the then known world, leader of the greatest city ever (comparativley speaking), overseaer of the Hanging Gardens (one of the wonders of the world), Foreseer of all kingdoms to rule the earth...

Alexander the Great, told his army he would not feed them, or pay them, and dragged them through wastelands, and led them to the ultimate victory: CONQUORING THE WORLD!!!

Saddam Hussein in charge of half a country... for a bit...
who the fuck was he to put his name on that wall... historys nobody that's fucking who...

but if that wasn't mediocre enough...

we have Sergeant Woods...

A FUCKING SERGEANT... the 4th lowest rank or something... not even president George W 'let's kill them rag heads' Bush!!! who is also another nobody... in comparison...
but a sergeant? that's like the night-duty manager of an independant supermarket in butfuck Alabama insisting his likeness be added to mount rushmore...

but worse...

That is the most discracefull act of of boastfull american, no history - identity crisis driven, overcompensative outlashing i have ever heard of...

i mean who the fuck is this guy....

it would actually be less offensive if I did it!!! for fucks sake...
I am so Horrified, that withdraw any sympathy for the US on any issue...
may the native americans rise up and wipe the military and government out...
i hope Sergeant Woods dies a fucking humiliating death for his insult to the history of the world...
FUCK HIM and the horse he rode in on!!!
I hope that the terrorist get their shit together and hijack 8 planes full of 100% PABAAH members, rednecks, and TV evengelists, and the 43 people who interrupted me while typing this... and crash into the white house while the big W in on the toilet masturbating to Sadams gun....

FUCK!!!

#8 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 01 November 2004 - 11:05 PM

Daggon cousin Barend, calm on down. It's just a silly ole wall. Not like this action is symbolic of American arrogance and disregard for other cultures or nothin.

On second though yes, yes it is. I live in America and I still see nothing wrong with anything you said.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#9 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 01 November 2004 - 11:22 PM

I for one love the US, and its cities, and its freedoms, and its people.

I hate its foreign policy, and its army.

I hate the frequent claim that all are tied together, that you need its foreign policy and its army for its freedoms to remain intact.

That's nonsense.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#10 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 01 November 2004 - 11:32 PM

This...this just makes me ashamed to be American.

It's inexcusable.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
XD

#11 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 November 2004 - 12:38 AM

Although the article didn't mention it, but do you think that the other soldiers in the area joined in, or was it just Americans? Because, to be fair, the article may have just picked on Americans because they're easy targets. I'm not saying that we shouldn't attack the people who did it, but I'd hate to just go off at Americans because it's the trendy thing to do.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#12 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 02 November 2004 - 12:55 AM

I've been ashamed to be an American for a while now. This is nothing new or surprising, just reenforcing my own sentiments.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#13 User is offline   Creaux Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Um, I like music, Studying religion from Catholocism to the occult, warhammer and DND and other nerdy things, being kind to people, freaking people out. And swords.

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:08 AM

I've got a feeling that many, many others throughout history have graffiti'ed the wall. That used to be a big Victorian thing. I'm sure American names are allready on it.

It's still a jack-ass move, but we aren't the only jackasses on it. At least America didn't build a millitary instalation on it.

This isn't an excuse to go and kill people. If you think it is, then you must agree that the US was COMPLETELY justified in attacking the taliban (Buddha statues...?), although I don't knowwhere you guys stand on that issue.

#14 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:12 AM

(*whimpers*)

Oh god...don't remind me of the Buddha statues...

XD

#15 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:27 AM

other countries are guilty of graffiti... Aussy troops made their marks on pyramids... for example... to which i was horrified...

but this i have to say is different to all the jack asses that have deface monuments...

Babylon was the first real World power... and only someone who has concoured the world deserves their name up there...

not Sadam, and even more not some cowboy ass sergeant...

it's not just about being offensive to a country, but too a great one virtually unmatched in splendor, and all but gone...

What an ASSHOLE!!!

to think so ludicrously high of himself...

it would be like if they found the original tablets containing the ten commandments, hand written by god, then me comming along and inscribing: 11. and upon request all girls should report to blowjob duty at barends house...

not the same but up there...

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size