Chefelf.com Night Life: 11 states approve ban on gay unions - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (3 Pages)
  • +

11 states approve ban on gay unions Wednesday, November 3, 2004

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 03 November 2004 - 10:22 AM

11 states approve ban on gay unions
Activists promise court challenges
By Dana Wilkie
COPLEY NEWS SERVICE

November 3, 2004

WASHINGTON – In nearly a dozen states yesterday, voters sent the loud, clear message that they think marriage should be reserved for unions between a man and a woman.

Reacting to recent court rulings allowing same-sex marriages, voters from Oregon to Georgia passed state constitutional amendments banning such unions – often by sweeping margins.

"The people are responding to the courts, which are increasingly trying to change the definition of marriage," said Carrie Gordon Earll, a spokeswoman for Focus on the Family, a conservative Christian group. "Marriage is not some kind of social play dough that the courts can reconstruct."

Gay rights activists vowed to challenge some of the amendments in court.

"Basic human rights should not be put up for a popular vote," said Matt Foreman, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. "We're confident that the Bill of Rights is going to secure the freedom to marry for gay Americans."

The measures were on ballots in 11 states – Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon and Utah – and they were placed before voters at a volatile time.

This year, Massachusetts' highest court ordered the state to grant marriage licenses to gays. San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom thumbed his nose at a voter-passed state law banning same-sex marriage, Proposition 22, and allowed thousands of gays and lesbians marry in his city. The state Supreme Court later invalidated more than 4,000 of these marriage licenses.

A 1996 federal law already defines marriage as between a man and a woman. And all the states with ballot measures, except Oregon, have laws outlawing same-sex marriage, as do 27 other states.

But President Bush and others say a federal constitutional amendment is needed to prevent what they call "activist" judges from overturning the 1996 law. After such an amendment failed this year in the House and Senate, the state ballot measures were seen as a backlash against congressional inaction.

The measures galvanized liberals and gay rights activists, as well as social conservatives and evangelical Christians.

The Human Rights Campaign, one of the nation's largest gay rights groups, spent nearly $7 million to fight the measures. In Ohio, where voters banned same-sex marriage by a ratio of 3-to-2, the Christian Coalition had mailed out 2 million voter guides on the issue.

Ohio's measure is considered the broadest because it bars any legal status that "intends to approximate marriage."

Gay activists' best hope was Oregon, where voters have a history of defeating measures perceived as anti-gay. But even Oregon voters endorsed the ban on same-sex marriage.

"It feels like a death," said Kelly Burke, 35, of the amendment's passage in Oregon. She is a stay-at-home mother who began receiving health care coverage for the first time after she wed electrician Dolores Doyle, her partner of 15 years, in Portland in March.

The measures won easily in the 10 other states – by ratios as high as 3-to-1 in Kentucky and Georgia, and 6-to-1 in Mississippi.

Polls indicate Americans oppose same-sex marriage by 2-to-1. But they are far less enthusiastic about amending the federal Constitution.

Gay rights advocates claim the GOP used the measures to rally social conservatives and boost turnout for Bush. Four of the measures were in presidential battleground states.

"(Republicans) will pay a long-term price for this kind of intolerance," Foreman said. "Young people and swing voters are going to reject the Republican Party."

Said Gordon Earll, of Focus on the Family: "These measures would have been on ballots regardless of who was running for president."

http://www.signonsan...999-7n3gay.html

I think we can all look forward to the next election where we can get rid of such pesky laws as:
  • Allowing blackfolk to marry
  • Women being allowed to vote or go to school
  • Native Americans getting to have jobs

FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS!
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 November 2004 - 10:29 AM

I understand that many governments in the world fail to take humanity forward. But can they at least try not to take it backwards?

#3 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 03 November 2004 - 10:36 AM

But the 1950's were so much fun! Let's do it again, just for old time's sake.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#4 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 November 2004 - 10:43 AM

Golly gee whiz! It sure was! I love good nostaliga and moving back towards clubbing one another to death and communicating through bodily functions and grunts!

I want to cry for the death of my faith in humanity, but my tears dried up years ago. If Bush gets Ohio I'm going to go be a hermit in Canada.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#5 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:05 AM

This is why I hate America. Apologies to the Americans who aren't racist close-minded assholes, but the rest of your country needs clubbing with meat hammers.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#6 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:21 PM

I'd be more than happy to perform the act myself...
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#7 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 03 November 2004 - 04:15 PM

No come on, I mean, I hate Americans right now, and I'm with the rest of the world against the fuck and the people who voted for him, but it really isn't right to hate America. It is a really good country. It's had a bad leader for the last 4 years, but I still love it, even though I really dislike it right now.

But here's the thing about gay marriage. WHO GIVES A SHIT? I'm not for or against it, you know why? Because it has nothing to do with me! I mean that makes me against the ban, but why is it even an issue? It's the most ridiculous diversion I've ever seen, and yet it managed to work because of the stupid bible belt people. Approving the ban isn't moving America backwards. People are saying how they define marriage, fine. The fact is, if a gay couple gets all the benefits of a married couple but they don't call it marriage, I don't know if that's so horrible. Stupid, yeah, but it really doesn't make a difference. The thing moving America backwards is the fact that it was even brought up in the campaign, that it was even voted on as a major issue.

#8 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 03 November 2004 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (Vwing @ Nov 3 2004, 05:15 PM)
But here's the thing about gay marriage. WHO GIVES A SHIT? I'm not for or against it, you know why? Because it has nothing to do with me! I mean that makes me against the ban, but why is it even an issue? It's the most ridiculous diversion I've ever seen, and yet it managed to work because of the stupid bible belt people.

A lot of people "give a shit". It's blatant discrimination. What would they do if they did the following:

House Passes Law Defining Marriage as the Union of a White Man and White Woman -- African American Marriages Seen as Void

The country would be sent into an uproar, and rightly so, because it would be a racist and inappropriate thing for our country to do. It's a matter of discriminating against an entire group of Americans because of the fucked up brand of Christianity that our government has chosen to sponsor.

If you truly don't feel it's a big deal then that should be even more reason to support gay marriage. It's a right that no one should be denied. No one that supports this ban seems to recognize how that this is just government sponsored discrimination.

How would you feel if they were trying to ban interracial marriage or marriage between Asian-Americans? Would you care then?

If you don't think it affects you, you're dead wrong. I'm not gay, I'm not planning to get married. It doesn't "affect" me directly either, however, I'm appalled by the fact that my country would deny a basic right to an entire group of citizens. We should be moving forward on this subject, however we've turned the calendar back twenty years.

Approving the ban isn't moving America backwards.  People are saying how they define marriage, fine.  The fact is, if a gay couple gets all the benefits of a married couple but they don't call it marriage, I don't know if that's so horrible.  Stupid, yeah, but it really doesn't make a difference.  The thing moving America backwards is the fact that it was even brought up in the campaign, that it was even voted on as a major issue..

This is absolutely false. Gay couples do not get the same benefits. Gay partners are denied into the hospital to see their ailing partners on their death bed, denied insurance pay offs and often left with no security in the event of sickness or death. A lot of companies will not allow them to insure each other as domestic partners.

There are emotional, religious and monetary restrictions put on these couples due to their "chosen" lifestyle in this country. However this country is so hypocritical that a policitian can openly support the ban of gay marriage and be elected president. If that same man tried to ban any other race of people from the union he'd be thrown out on his ass.

That is the difference and it disgusts me.

#9 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 03 November 2004 - 05:04 PM

Goddammit.

LEAVE THE GAY PEOPLE ALONE!

It frustrates me to see how many people actually voted their presidential vote SOLELY on "John Kerry likes gay boys so I'll vote bush because being gay is wrong." (A direct quote from my morning votech class, I might add.) It's absolutely infuriating. Hey kids, NEWS FLASH, we're exploderizing other countries. Like Iraq. Have you heard nothing of this? Apparently not, because clearly, in your mind, guys having buttsex in the privacy of their own homes who aren't bothering you at all are the real issue here. I had a girl tell me today "You like Kerry so you are going to burn in hell. Kerry likes gay people, and gay is wrong. God will send you to hell. Judgement day is coming, and you're going to burn." I wonder if it would have made her head go pop had I told her I was bi? dry.gif When will people learn that I and the gay community don't give a fuck about their religious beliefs? Gay people aren't looking for your approval! They just want to be left alone and live their lives. UGHHHHDiediedie, everything is bad and humanity is RETARDED!

A little venting. I feel better.

...Wait...nope, just remembered that Bush won the election. Now I feel worse.

EDIT: Bloody typos. :angry:

This post has been edited by Amber-Nicole: 03 November 2004 - 05:09 PM

"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#10 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 03 November 2004 - 05:51 PM

Nate is absolutely right. The ban is wrong because it's discriminitory against an entire group of Americans, and the reasons for it are solely religion-based, when this country is supposed to have a separation of church and state. I have yet to hear a reason to define the gender of those in a legal marriage for any non-religious, non-arbitrary reason.

Let the religions define their internal religious marriages howsoever they want, but marriage is not only a religious ceremony but a complex legal status. It defines how partners live, their financial status, their property rights, custody rights, adoption rights, next of kin, whether or not they can see each other in the hospital... I believe there's over 200 things connected legally with marriage. There is NOTHING connected with civil unions.

You are also wrong if you think it doesn't affect you because you are not gay. An estimated one in ten Americans is gay or lesbian. Even if you don't know it, people you care about-- friends, family, co-workers-- are being discriminated against.

#11 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2004 - 06:42 PM

Chef, I'm saying give them equal benefits. If you don't call it marriage, but give them the benefits of it (which is something that I am for) then I don't think anyone will mind. It would only be semantics. And again, there is no reason I can see for not allowing them to call it marriage. It just makes a bunch of religious people happy, and like I said, though stupid, if it's only semantics, we can, for the time being, deal with it. An amendment banning it is just ludicrous.

But I'm saying why is it an issue in a presidential campaign? There are so many more important issues about the very stability and power of the country to address, so many more things a campaign should be about, and yet gay marriage is not only one of them, but one of the most important ones! It's a diversion. The fact is gays marrying affects NO ONE personally, which is the point I was trying to get at in a very long-winded way smile.gif, and so it's ridiculous anyone should want to use the Constitution of all documents to actually ban it. Again, the reason I'm not for or against gay marriage is because it shouldn't be an issue in the first place! Let 'em see each other in hospitals, let em get the money other couples get. Why do people care, when we have issues like the environment, stem cells, and other big problems being put on the backburner?

#12 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 03 November 2004 - 06:44 PM

How can anyone believe that this is ok? Just because something dosn't effect you dosn't mean that the spirit of it won't. So you're not gay and you don't speak out. After that they come for the blacks and you're not black so you don't speak out. Then they come for the Jews and you're not a Jew so you don't say anything. Then they come for the Muslims and you don't say anything because you're not a Muslim. Then they come for you and there's noone left to say anything at all. Thats how fascism works, people.

This ban is completely wrong. It's being made by people it won't have any effect on and the only people it will effect are a minority to whom it is highly detrimental. Good God, you crazy ass Christian fucks, with the money you spent trying to keep some gay people from marrying you could have fed the poor or clothed the cold or any number of silly things. I really wish I could find the place in the bible where it says "Thou shalt be a total prick who is unable to accept any cultural differences"

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#13 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2004 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Nov 3 2004, 06:44 PM)
This ban is completely wrong. It's being made by people it won't have any effect on and the only people it will effect are a minority to whom it is highly detrimental.

Exactly. Why do you think Cheney's for it? Cause it hit him close to home. That's why I almost hope Bush gets Row v. Wade overturned and his daughter gets pregnant and needs an abortion. And you gotta understand, I am not against gay marriage. When I say I am against the issue, I'm saying I'm against the fact that people disguised this ridiculous infringement on people's rights as an issue, much less a Presidential Issue! I do think that if gays are granted civil unions with the proper benefits and rights, then it is certainly OK given the fact that most of the country is against gay marriage. But I just can't believe anyone would bring it up as an issue, so it can just distract from Iraq, while, again, the environment, overpopulation, stem cells, all these things that SHOULD be issues aren't. As Charles Pierce of msnbc.com said, "When gay marriage trumps dead soldiers in Iraq, how do you run a race without dissolving into fantasy?"

#14 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 03 November 2004 - 07:27 PM

JM, I hope you're just spewing vitriol and not speaking about anybody on this board.

Vwing, I'm glad you clarified your position. I can see where you're coming from, although I think calling it marriage would be meaningful for a lot of people, I wouldn't mind an otherly-named institution that was exactly the same in every detail. But I hardly think the people who are making this ban are going to be willing to create a "separate but equal" institution for gays and lesbians.

#15 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 03 November 2004 - 08:41 PM

i can't remember who said it but i thought:

"The problem is that they don't like the idead of gays having sex, but nothing prevents sex like marrage, so I should think they would be for it... but there you go..."

------------------------------------

you're voting system over there sucks by the way...

a winner declared 11 days before the votes are finished being counted...
just cause someone got 270+ seats...

that's not democracy...

that's totally weak...

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size