Chefelf.com Night Life: What can I actually like about star wars now? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

What can I actually like about star wars now?

#1 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 30 October 2004 - 10:50 PM

After the last 10 years of insults by Lucas himself, and after giving the man tons of money, having been a fan since 1978, I ask myself, what is left? What in Star Wars is left to like, after recognizing the blatant plagiarism, the bad writing, the fascist and racist tendencies, the completely arrogant and egomaniacal head of the vast corporation known as Lucasfilm, George Lucas himself...hmm...I still like Wookies...and those treehouses were cool...and the cantina...oh that's right its all been changed now...and it seems that all thats left to enjoy is all the creations of Ralph McQUarrie and not George Lucas at all...Well, if they ever make another Wookie TV Show...I'll be there...unfortunately that's about it...I liked that Star Wars comic about the wookies being enslaved by the trandoshans and yet I am told by fanatics that it isn't "cannon..." Well, Peter Mayhew, Ralph McQuarrie...good job, I thank you for entertaining me and making me think...as for you Lucas, I hope that giant tumor on your neck gets bigger and an alien pops out and eats your bank account. I hope you rot in the fires of hell(or generic star wars alternative)...and burn for all your jedic sins. May the Force consume you in the end and put you in your place, just below Ed Wood and a little above P.T.Barnum and on the same precipice as Heinrich Himmler...and as for my fellow Star Wars fans...tell me, those of you disenfranchised few, what sad few things remain on your list you still cannot let go of?
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#2 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 31 October 2004 - 03:09 AM

I think we can all be thankful that George Lucas hasnt yet screwed with the OT as much as he will in years to come... Wait that's depressing...

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#3 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 31 October 2004 - 04:41 AM

I just did the smartest thing I could think of. I copied my OT Star Wars tapes to DVD. They may not be the best quality, but now I can say I have the original triology on DVD. The way I remember them growing up. And I'm thankful there's nothing Lucas can do to take that away from me

This post has been edited by Michel Orla: 31 October 2004 - 04:42 AM

#4 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 31 October 2004 - 08:40 AM

nothing

#5 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 31 October 2004 - 10:32 AM

Play Knights of the Old Republic. If anything can possibly restore your faith in Star Wars, it's that game. (Note also that Lucas had no involvement whatsoever in its production.)
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#6 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2004 - 10:57 AM

how about where Obi jumps through the window in clones? come on, you liked that bit.

#7 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2004 - 12:00 PM

To: Michael Orda
I just did the smartest thing I could think of. I copied my OT Star Wars tapes to DVD. They may not be the best quality, but now I can say I have the original triology on DVD. The way I remember them growing up. And I'm thankful there's nothing Lucas can do to take that away from me

I did the same as well. I have the trilogy the way I remembered it.

You didn't hear this from me, but I do know of people who have real DVD quality OT tapes.

-You can find them if you know where to look...... wink.gif

how about where Obi jumps through the window in clones? come on, you liked that bit.

That scene lasted about two seconds of screen time. And was followed by an unbelievably riduculous looking scene of Obi-Wan hanging from a drone flying through the city. A painfully obvious "CGI" moment

*sigh* sad.gif Were was the dignity of the Obi-Wan character that Alec Guiness provided so well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sad.gif

May the Force consume you in the end and put you in your place, just below Ed Wood and a little above P.T.Barnum and on the same precipice as Heinrich Himmler

PT Barnum was in many ways a genius of marketing much in the same way Lucas is.

I actually think that Ed Wood is a "good" director. If you watch his movies in the right frame of mind, you can actually see the ideas and the style in his work.

I enjoyed the Ed Wood movie as well as Ed Wood's works.

I would watch Plan 9 from Outer Space 26 times before watching Attack of the Clones once.

I think Torr Johnson gave a more in depth and enjoyable performance than Hayden Christensen ever did. :yuck:

Heinrich Himmler. Was he the dope addict of the Third Reich.......or the failed writer?????????

Replying to What can I actually like about star wars now?

Well Hannibal, the OT films will still be forever in your heart and mind. Perhaps the failure of the pT films makes those films stand out even more as precious pieces of great filmmaking.

Sort of like precious diamonds amongst the cubic zirconia of the PT films

Damn, that was a good line by me!!!!!!!!!!!!1 tongue.gif

The Star Wars books for the most part are still very good and keep the feel of the films.

As, Helena had mentioned, there are the numerous video games that exist and will exist in the future.

You know something I think people don;t realize or appreciate about Star Wars is the fact that it has expanded from a film franchise to the ultimate MULTIMEDIA FRANCHISE.

With books, music games, internet, graphic novels, THIS FORUM!!!........you could make a case that Star Wars could exist for decades without ever one single live action movie being made.

This ultimately may be the best way to appreciate Star Wars now and perhaps the most efficient way to enjoy it.

Look at the "Dungeons & Dragons" franchise.

D & D is a complete multimedia franchise consisting of games, internet sites, vide games, cartoons, graphic novel, books ALL without making a single live action movie of note!!

{Yes......there has been no D & D movie made of POSITIVE SIGNIFICANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!}

{Jeez.......never though Jeremy Irons could be made to look so bad in a film................... :yuck: }

Star Wars universe will still be enjoyable, no matter how many bad films George Lucas makes... smile.gif

- Even the novel books based on the PT events are very read good reads-

Try picking up "Rogue Planet" if you get a chance!! cool.gif

And don;t forget there is also "fan fiction".

Why not "create' your own PT stories??? huh.gif

#8 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2004 - 01:56 PM

That scene lasted about two seconds of screen time

so did the death star blowing up. so what? it was still a shocking, memorable moment.

And was followed by an unbelievably riduculous looking scene of Obi-Wan hanging from a drone flying through the city. A painfully obvious "CGI" moment

of course it was CG, but it looked great. the interaction of Obi and the speeders etc. made the scene as real as technology constrants would allow. ie pretty damn good.

This post has been edited by jariten: 31 October 2004 - 02:00 PM

#9 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2004 - 05:50 PM

so did the death star blowing up. so what? it was still a shocking, memorable moment.

With all due respect....

........you mean to tell me that you are comparing three seconds of a part of a minor action sequence..........

.................to the climax of a movie??????????

#10 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2004 - 06:07 PM

And was followed by an unbelievably riduculous looking scene of Obi-Wan hanging from a drone flying through the city. A painfully obvious "CGI" moment

of course it was CG, but it looked great. the interaction of Obi and the speeders etc. made the scene as real as technology constrants would allow. ie pretty damn good.

Again with all due respect............one of the problems with CGI, is that action movements by characters, such as Obo-Wan,become almost "cartoonish" rather than realistic.

You've seen Crouching Tiger & Spiderman right??

Compare the "night fight" scene in Crouching Tiger with the scene in Spiderman where Peter is hunting the burgular that killed Uncle Ben.

Look at the way the characters move while they are flying,jumping & running in "Crouching" Tiger.

Look at the way Spider moves when he is jumping and crawiling.

The Crouching Tiger scense are believable because the motion of action is real to life.

The scenes in Spiderman are unrealistic because you KNOW that nobody can move like that. Spiderman moves at speeds that don;t happen in real life motion.

Here's a film lesson:

-If your audience knows it;s a special effect right of the bat, it's not a very special effect.-

This is my biggest greivance on CGI effects.

YOUR AUDIENCE KNOWS RIGHT OFF THE BAT THAT IT"S CGI.

When you saw Yoda for the first time the special effect was perfect because it never registered to your mind the moment that you were watching that Yoda was a puppet.

-Movies are using CGI WAAYYYY too much for my liking. :yuck: -

#11 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 31 October 2004 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Helena @ Oct 31 2004, 10:32 AM)
Play Knights of the Old Republic. If anything can possibly restore your faith in Star Wars, it's that game. (Note also that Lucas had no involvement whatsoever in its production.)

Oh man, I just started playing it for the fourth time through today (A game so good I could play it another ten times through) This to me is the definitive Star Wars after the OT trilogy, not the last two shames we've seen in the box office

I did the same as well.  I have the trilogy the way I remembered it.

You didn't hear this from me, but I do know of people who have real DVD quality OT tapes.

-You can find them if you know where to look...... wink.gif

That's the only way to have the trilogy. I'd much rather have them with no enchancements and special features, then sit through the bastardized version Lucas has presented on DVD

This post has been edited by Michel Orla: 31 October 2004 - 06:41 PM

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 31 October 2004 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Oct 31 2004, 01:56 PM)

That's why they went back to it, the First time they had nothing.

BEFORE, or (most certainly I think you'll agree) AFTER the addition of the power hoops?

#13 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 01 November 2004 - 02:04 AM

if i had to pick one thing from the prequels that i liked...
it would be the sound the depth charge makes launched by jenga fett...
and that joy is cancelled by the fact that sound doesn't travel in space...

there are too many changes to the OT... and i'm sick to death of explaining to people who wont back down why they suck... so the easist thing to do here is let all the suckers enjoy their precious crap!!!

I on the the other hand will walk away from it without remorse...
there's nothing left for me there...

it's all pretty baaaaaaad...

there are better things to devote to myself to...
Star WArs is now 100% styrofoam.

#14 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2004 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE (Mike Mac from NYU @ Oct 31 2004, 05:50 PM)

With all due respect....

........you mean to tell me that you are comparing three seconds of a part of a minor action sequence..........

.................to the climax of a movie??????????

you seemed to be trying to dismiss the impact of the obi scene i mentioned because of its brevity. i was just pointing out that even quick scenes can have a lasting effect on the audience.

as to your other point. i see what you are trying to say, but im not sure i agree with your points of comparison. the action in crouching tiger is obviously supposed to be a highly stylised, almost romantic (?!) form of movement without the constraints of going for any real representation of reality or anything during those scenes.

and i agree about spiderman. the cgi in that bit looked stupid. the problem is that you cant compare that to Clones, as they actually had Ewan hoisted up in the air, with him clinging onto the droid which was throwing him about while a huge fan blasted him with air (as he watched a large anamatic of the scene on a screen infront of him). the point is, that was real (unlike spiderman) and clearly the best that any filmaker could have achieved.

also, i dont agree with your point about the audience not immediently registering that yoda was a puppet in Empire. i think they did. yoda was as obviously artificially created as Jar Jar (who, incidentally, my cousin thought was a guy in a suit until i told him otherwise)

This post has been edited by jariten: 01 November 2004 - 03:22 AM

#15 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Nov 1 2004, 03:13 AM)
i was just pointing out that even quick scenes can have a lasting effect on the audience.

If a hardcore SW fan has to surgically-remove a ten second scene to redeem a film, it's a lost cause.

For a candy lover to eat their halloween treats with relish, they can appreciate looking back on the bag and remembering "yes, that snack size crispy butterfinger (or jello shooter) was divine."

But if you feel sick, overwhelmed and just Blah the next day, you probably won't be thanking anything except the fact that it's over.

---

we like the seismic charge. Happy?

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size