Chefelf.com Night Life: no talking while movie is playing - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

no talking while movie is playing ...a friendly warning

#1 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 08 October 2004 - 03:27 AM

I was watching AVP (which was so-so, but worth seeing i thought... lets not get into an argument...) and these 12 or so teenagers up the back were making so much noise... I yelled shut up... and they went quiet for a bit... everyone was shooshing them... my friend went up and asked them nicely... they kept talking... he went back up and asked them unnicley... they kept talking... he went back up angain.... they kept talking... we both went up... I said "you've been asked nicley, now talk again and i'll break your fucking legs" then some other guy came up and said "we're going to beat the shit out of you afterwards... then another guy on our side got up and said "infact... get out now" and lifted one of them out of their seat, so all four of us started lifting them out of their seats and ushered them out... i kept telling them to move faster... they all got out... we got a standing ovation from the audience... and watched the rest of the film...

of course when we got out... all the kids, two security personel, two cops, and what i suspect was one of their parents were waiting outside for us...

now that really pisses me off. those kids were taught a lesson, and they called their parents and the cops and security despite being in the wrong. no violence was committed against them, and even though i used the words "I WILL KILL YOU" early on in the peice, i think that was rather absurd...

either way i walked out past the kids, the cops, the parent, then one of the kids pointed me out to the cops who began to persue, but i 'slipped into the shadows' of the car park so to speak and got away...

what a fun night smile.gif

#2 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 October 2004 - 07:07 AM

I hate it when people who are in the wrong go on the defensive when they're caught out. I've got kids at my school who do that. They act like total smartasses, but the moment they get in trouble, they break down and cry. Well, sorry kids but them's the rules - if you wanna be a smartass, fine. But getting in trouble afterwards is also part of the deal.

Hmmm... people who talk in the movies... very annoying. I've actually seen a lot of people who talk on their mobiles during the film. Why the hell are they in the theatre in the first place if they don't want to watch the movie?

#3 User is offline   Dragonspawn Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:linkinpark... im mad for em!<br>Computers.... im comp nerd.<br>Scuba diving... i like going down on girl instructors... ahem, i mean with!

Posted 08 October 2004 - 07:44 AM

I remember when seeing the third LOTR, there where 2 kids next to me constantly pointing out hobbits whispering (rather loudly): 'thats an elf' 'no its not... no wait, yeah it looks like an elf' 'yeah i told you so, LOOK another elf... TeeHee'
and everytime i told them to shut up there mum kept giving me the evil eye... bitch

#4 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:01 AM

I hate the new mobile phones. With the large, blue bright screens. I really fucking hate them in movie theatres.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#5 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 15 October 2004 - 11:50 PM

An open letter to people who clap during movies.

Dear idiot.

Why are you stupid? Do you not realize that this is not a play? For whom do your hands toll? The projectionist? The other patrons? The screen? The owners of the theater? And, like the fools you are, you only clap for the worst crap in the movies. You clapped for Legolas' hopping about upon the oliphant scene. What the hell is wrong with you all? You, the same who laughed when Legolas and Gimli continued their silly counting dead orcs contest. You, who probably don't know Frodo from Bilbo or Gandalf from Radagast. You consider yourself to be worthy to applaud a film?

Your opinion is meaningless and your personal hygiene is lacking. Please, never clap for a film. It embarasses you, no matter how many others do it, and it embarasses me to be of the same race as you.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#6 User is offline   Creaux Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Um, I like music, Studying religion from Catholocism to the occult, warhammer and DND and other nerdy things, being kind to people, freaking people out. And swords.

Posted 16 October 2004 - 01:52 AM

Eh, I'll admit that my friends and I to comment durring movies...A product of our overexposure to MST3K and my friend's contagous dissrespect towards many things.

It's pretty bad, but it certainly is entertaining...And it is no sign ofdissrespect to a movie, either. Ehh, my friends are bad influences....Heh.

But I'd never get mad at someone for getting mad at me, and I certainly control myself if thereare a lot of people near me. I try to leave SOME modicrum of respect mixed in with my dissrespect.

#7 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 18 October 2004 - 03:07 PM

I don't see what's wrong with clapping for movies. Yeah, nobody involved with the film can hear you, but so what? It's a harmless exp​ression of appreciation. Don't you feel just a little bit of magic when a group of strangers, gathered together only by moviegoing taste and geographical and temporal coincidence, clap, gasp, and cheer as one? If it truly annoys you, maybe public film exhibitions aren't for you.

#8 User is offline   electricprune Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Theremin playing, experimental music, cable access tv, amateur photography, indie film, hula hooping, blueberries, yogurt, macaroni and cheese, walking long distances, psychedelic music

Posted 18 October 2004 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Dragonspawn @ Oct 8 2004, 07:44 AM)
I remember when seeing the third LOTR, there where 2 kids next to me constantly pointing out hobbits whispering (rather loudly): 'thats an elf' 'no its not... no wait, yeah it looks like an elf' 'yeah i told you so, LOOK another elf... TeeHee'
and everytime i told them to shut up there mum kept giving me the evil eye... bitch

When I saw X-Men in the theatres, this dude behind me kept commenting on how attractive the female cast members were, "Halle Berry, she is fiiiiiine. Damn!" And this went on throughout the course of the whole movie.

Sure, I can understand whispering to your friend if you feel the need to comment on something happening in the movie, but if you're a solo viewer shouting random things at the screen that can be kind of annoying.

#9 User is offline   Creaux Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Um, I like music, Studying religion from Catholocism to the occult, warhammer and DND and other nerdy things, being kind to people, freaking people out. And swords.

Posted 18 October 2004 - 07:58 PM

No, that's when you turn around and start dissagreeing. Bonus points if turning around involves blocking good portion of hs view.

Unfortunately for those around, it isn't really one or two shouts, more like a gentle stream of comments.

Yeah, people hate us...

This post has been edited by Creaux: 18 October 2004 - 08:00 PM

#10 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 18 October 2004 - 08:16 PM

ok, at the Stupid, predictable common denominator stuff, clapping bothers me. But at the end of a Good film if people applaud, I don't mind.

So, what? the director doesn't hear us? I think an educated audience is Beyond Not being listened to.

#11 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 18 October 2004 - 08:28 PM

JM Hoffman: That was the most pretentious thing I have ever heard. You don't have to be a hardcore Lord Of The Rings fan to enjoy the movies. "Your personal hygene is lacking"? What does that even have to do with anything?

If people enjoy a movie and feel the need to applaud, then so be it. It is, as Laura noted, just a general gesture of appreciation. Talking in a movie is one thing, but people enjoying it enough to applaud is something altogether different. Who cares if the director can't hear it? If it really bothers you that much, wait for the DVD.

#12 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 18 October 2004 - 09:14 PM

I normally end up talking throughout movies whether I want to (or realize it) or not, simply because I always talk to myself like that out of pure habit. But in my own defense, I always mumble what I’m saying very quietly under my breath, so I doubt anyone can hear me unless they're really trying to. I usually save the loud MST-esque comments for when I'm watching something at home.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#13 User is offline   Owyn Icon

• New Cop

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:34 AM

That really pissed me off when i heard that barend, glad to hear you got out fine thoe smile.gif Its one thing to have laws stopping adults from just pushing around kids, but you gotta have some sense about it. It can get really out of hand how crappy laws get. Our teacher told us about a burglar who fell through a glassh overhead window when trying to rob the place. He then sued successful for damages the people he was trying to rob!

As for this clapping business, i agree, if you wanna act like a tool in public by clapping to a movie screen, its your right, however a friend of mine whenever he sees this happening jumps out of his seat and starts clapping and cheering loudly smile.gif Its rather a funny site to watch.

#14 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:09 AM

Perhaps its different where you live, but clapping during a movie is a serious offence. Sure, laughing or gasping or screaming are acceptable due to the fact that they can't be helped, and saying something under your breath/wispering to a friend is fine as long as you're quiet about it. But clapping and cheering are not on. They break the spell of the movie and drag everyone back to reality, ruining the experience. I remember seeing a dodgey version of Kiss of the Dragon, wherein there would be random cheering, clapping and calls of 'look out behind you!'. It wasn't until about half way through the movie that I realised that the director hadn't put it in, and it was in fact filmed in a cinema viewing wherein the audience actually YELLED ADVICE AT THE CHARACTERS! I couldn't believe it, its not a fucking pantomime. The cinema is a quiet place, for the same reason as a library.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#15 User is offline   Creaux Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:54 PM

SOMEONE YELL AT ME!

I need to pay for my sins! I feel so guilty, yet cannot stop >;D

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size