• « First

LotR vs. SW

#46 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 31 December 2003 - 07:57 AM

I actually liked Darth Maul too. I was sad to see him die, I thought we could get to know his character more, but that was asking too much.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#47 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 31 December 2003 - 09:35 AM

He HAD no character, though. He was just one of the guys from KISS that didn't have any lines. A villain is much more intriguing if they are able to speak and tell their point of view. The truly great villains are the ones that don't even seem entirely evil. The ones you can side with a little. Having someone that is just mean (and apparently mute) doesn't create much intrigue.

They might as well have been fighting a grizzly bear.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#48 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:26 AM

He had something about him, a pure evil. Sometimes characters let off an aura without saying much. It would have been nice to scratch more then just surface with Maul.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#49 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:41 AM

laugh.gif

Gene Simmons, one of the guys from KISS who had lines, would've been GREAT in that part. He easily could have slept with amidala, He could have become Darth Vader for goodness sake. He's tall enough, menacing, and certainly vocal about how his feelings. Not afraid to embrace the dark side. Good with makeup. and he has his own weaponry.

And he just MIGHT have carried one of these with him

<http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031231082846199174147138888506/g=guitar/g=guitar/search/bigpid/base_id/59562/>

#50 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 31 December 2003 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Dec 31 2003, 09:35 AM)
They might as well have been fighting a grizzly bear.

Exactly. Maybe a shapeshifter who can turn into a grizzly bear? And wield a lightsaber, of course.

X2 had a great moment with Mystique, the shapeshifter who had like zero lines in the first film but somehow managed to be a better villain than the two Magneto flunkies who did have lines (because they were terrible lines). Nightcrawler asks her why she chooses to remain in her natural form when she could just be whatever she wanted to be and live secretly. She says "Because I shouldn't have to."

That may as well have been a line for gay pride, or for political freedom, or religious tolerance. And it summarized her role as a villain as well as all the concentration camp flashbacks and long-winded speeches about fear and intolerance had done for Magneto. Bang! In one line Mystique was a character, and even sympathetic for having a realistic motive.

Lucas could have tried something like that with Darth Maul. As David Brin has pointed out, his perfect opportunity was during the Qui-Gon/Darth Maul staredown in the hall of shifting force fields. Why didn't he do it? Because in Lucas's universe being evil is its own end, and if you ever get angry, like ever, then you are in danger of becoming 100% ultimately evil. From JEDI on (and I include JEDI), the villains in the STAR WARS movies have been unmotivated and embarrassing.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#51 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 09 January 2004 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Dec 30 2003, 04:50 PM)
You got it despondent. The witch king was invincible only to man not woman. Merry did aid in the kill, you are right, I forgot about that. He stabs the witch king in the leg and that is why he falls to his knees. In the book this actaully kills Merry. The shear evil leaps out at him after thrusting the sword in the nazgul's leg and ultimately kills him. I thought this was a good ending for Merry, but then Tolkein brought him back to life with herbs or something. I think Eowyn also dies aswell in the book. ( but is also brought back to life blah)

okay...

the Witchking of Angmar was the king of Angmar before becomming a wraith, once corrupted he completely destroyed and warped the area plus a whole lot of Eriador (thus the Barrow Whights).

part of what he became was that no man could kill him. a tecnicallity that was exploited but two people who were never expected to be on a battle field.

merry lost the use of his arm, and 'passed into darkness' (not killed) and the sword was disintergrated, eyowen got her ass kicked but got an attack of oportunity, and was completely blacked out but not killed. they both apeared dead, this is why (you might remember) you see eomer crying with eyowen in is arms, because he thinks she's dead and leads the roharim into death charge (wait for the special eddition).

they would have died, but Aragorn manages to send for kingsfoil, a herb with powerfull healing proporties that eventually brings them to. had this not been done, they would have died.

#52 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2004 - 09:39 PM

Passes into darkeness, I always thought this meant death. But it makes sense that it doesn't, ressurection from herbs seems a bit far fetch.

The Witch King better kick some more ass in the extended edition. Also the commander of the Orc army, what happened to him in the movie? He was giving orders one minute and then.....gone!

#53 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 10 January 2004 - 10:02 AM

I'll probably go see it again today. Goodness, it's nice to have a great fantasy film worthy of repeat viewings, and probably around to stay awhile. Summer of Empire, it played for 18 weeks or so. the two terrors, and i'm referring to the prequels, it'd be like "this is the last week it's playing (July?) maybe I should go see it again while I can. (watto grunt) Nehhh" (not worth it)

I saw A.I. at the theater this way. Oh no, not on the screen. In 2 black, strapped reel boxes by the door ready to be picked up by ups. (what, 2 or 3 weeks after opening?)

#54 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2004 - 04:03 PM

I got some inside info on the special edition ROTK DVD.

You may have noticed that Gandalf looses his staff somewhere in the great battle scene. What happened to it? The Witch King breaks it in a duel with the wizard.

Remember the dialogue.

"what about the white wizard?"

Witch King replies

"I will break him"

So we will see some more Witch King. yay

#55 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 11 January 2004 - 12:34 AM

"Well, I'm back"

man that movie rocks. Noted the witch king line/ missing staff, Jordan.

2 funny moments no one else laughs at: Legolas' skateboard departure from the oliphant and Pippin and Merry leading the charge at the gate. Oh! and the trolls beating their drums.

I really like the closing credits. what a nice treatment at the end of it all. I always sit through a movie's credits, and have to admit sometimes I get bored with them. But not here. maybe sometime I'll even get around to reading the names. the drawings really go quick with a lot to see and it's like a tennis match, looking left and right to try and catch it all. The Annie Lennox song is good, and the orchestral part has a nice wrap-up also. Although the last measures really do remind me of the end of Gotterdammerung (the final measures of Wagner's 17-hour RING of the Nibelungen cycle) picturing the one ring, eternal. mellow.gif

#56 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 11 January 2004 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jan 10 2004, 10:02 AM)
Goodness, it's nice to have a great fantasy film worthy of repeat viewings, and probably around to stay awhile.

I'll say.

Speaking of which, I just bought HAWK THE SLAYER (1980) on DVD. I adn't been aware that it even existed on DVD, so it was one of those "instant buys" you ake when you see a product you'd hate yourself for missing. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm sure looking forward to it. That's one of those fantasy films, like KRULL or THE SWORD AND THE SORCEROR, that you can watch over and over again.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#57 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:11 AM

Did someone say Krull? That's got to be the worst film I'll watch over and over. Worse, even than Flash Gordon.

It even has Qui-Gon in it.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#58 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:36 PM

Well I have not seen Krull, S&ts or HawkTS. so I guess I've got some homework now to add to my things to do. which goes on the back burner every time I check up with you all.

did see an ad for an episode 2 chess set. follows the simpsons variety.

King
Yoda v Darth Sidious

Queen
Amidala v Count Dooku

bishop appears to be
2 obi wans v 2 zams

knight
2 anikans v 2 jangos

rook
2 Windus v 2 federation droids

pawn
8 clonetroopers v 8 geonosians

"handcarved of solid resin" it says.
As I cough up in disgust, let me reach for my empire strikes back box of puffs tissues. (really)

#59 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 January 2004 - 07:52 PM

The Return of the King DVD extended edition has a running time of 4hrs 15min.
this is confirmed. and will make the trilogy run for a total of 11hrs and 30min. biggrin.gif

#60 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2004 - 07:55 PM

DAMNNNNNNNNNNNN 4hrs and 15mins!!!!!

I still cannot believe they did not have an intermission in the theatre.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size