Chefelf.com Night Life: Is it just me or is starwars the greatest - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Is it just me or is starwars the greatest

#1 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 05 December 2003 - 08:45 PM

Episode III is going to have the battle of the century. Obi vs Anakin. This battle should be as powerful and moving as the vader/luke battle.

There is just one problem. Is it me, or does the relationship between anakin and obi wan seem rather weak and distant. I think Lucas's biggest mistake was not concentrading on their friendship in the first 2 movies.

Han Solo and Luke after episodes IV, V had a more entertaining and believable friendship than Obi and Anakins.

So will the dual between the two be emotional or boring?

If lucas does not step up the bond between them, the emotion will be drained from the fight.

I m also thinking that we will hear same "deep'n dark" score that we heard in return of jedi when Luke began to attack Vader with all his might.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#2 Guest_test_guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 05 December 2003 - 08:54 PM

"deep'n dark" like what I flush down my toilet? tongue.gif

#3 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 05 December 2003 - 10:41 PM

*SPOILER WARNING*

I would've like for Obi-Wan to have had more of a friendship relationship. Obi-Wan in EP 3 seems to have more of an affection for a clone which eventually turns on him. I wonder if Lucas would give the same level of intimacy that Obi-Wan gives the clone trooper to his own padawan?
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 December 2003 - 12:59 AM

The problem with this is there isn't any love between the two. There are occassional lines in the movies where Anakin says tha Obi-Wan is like a father to him but the two clearly can't stand each other.

Anakin is a totally unlikeable character. He's arrogant and obnoxious but in a much more aggravating and unforgiveable way than Daniel in Karate Kid or Luke in the first trilogy.

So the battle is not going to be moving. It won't be surprising in any way. Oviously we've all known this duel would take place in Episode III. We knew that twenty years ago. However it's not going to be a climactic battle between teacher and apprentice. It's going to be the logical outcome of a wise, learned Jedi given a worthless shit stain of an apprentice. The battle is ineveitable because Anakin is such a horrible Jedi.

"And he was a good friend."
Obi Wan in A New Hope

He was not a good friend. Other than the horrible elevator scene in Episode II where Obi Wan and Anakin remenisce stupidly about a pit of gundarks there is no sign whatsoever that they even like each other. Never mind them being "friends".

"You father. Powerful Jedi was he. Mmmm. Powerful Jedi."
Yoda in The Empire Strikes Back

Is he? Everyone is always talking about how he's the greatest and most powerful Jedi ever and whatnot but what does he actually do to show this. Besides having a high midi-chlorian count is there anything to actually back this up? He seems to be about average for a padawan. He gives a rather lackluster performance in battle against Dooku and seems to have weaker skills than just about every other Jedi.

I'm curious if there will even be an attempt in Episode III to show his power. We already know he loses the battle to Obi Wan. If he can't even beat Obi Wan in battle then why is Palpatine interested in him in the first place? Wouldn't any old Jedi do?
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2003 - 01:29 AM

Lucas has truely painted himself into a corner. This is what you get for writing a script by yourself in 2 weeks.

Ep 1:

The Senate and trade federation showed George's lack of understanding in the area of law and government.

The concept of Naboo was thought up in probably one evening.
-Electing Queen?
-No Resources- therefore no real reason to place trade bloackades around the tiny nothing planet
-Small human population- I noticed that there was not many Nabooeans around
-Primitive retarded alien race, neither have an army yet control a large beautiful planet
-Possibly a utopian society- no war just love and freedom with no populace, yet was some how over looked by 1000 billion people on the grossly over populated Corrcusant

Like chefelf said, I m willing to suspend disbelief on matters concerning the force, starships, deathstars.
But the pathetic politics surrounding Naboo stretches it too far. I just can't take that planet or the Senate seriously

Ep 2:

We are introduced to 47 new characters, all who have a total of 2 lines each
The old characters are still as flat and static as they ever were

Bravo Lucas, hail to you champion

I
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#6 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 06 December 2003 - 04:09 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Dec 6 2003, 12:59 AM)
"And he was a good friend."
Obi Wan in A New Hope

He was not a good friend. Other than the horrible elevator scene in Episode II where Obi Wan and Anakin remenisce stupidly about a pit of gundarks there is no sign whatsoever that they even like each other. Never mind them being "friends".

Damn.

I am so glad I've never seen this movie. Since its release, not one thing about it has sounded remotely good. This Gundark crackis obviously another nod to the original trilogy, but not a good or clever nod, like, say, actually developing a credible back story might have been.

You're totally right to bring up the "good friend" line. The whole notion of Jedi schooling has always bugged me. Luke can pick up the basic in a few weeks, but at what, nine? Ankin is "too old" to begin. And how are these two friends, when it's so obviously nothing more than a mentor/protege relationship? I think the impression I had when I was nine years old is still right - Ben should have been referring to a contemporary, not a child.

And of course, Lucas just blew it altogether by having Anikin whiny and bratty and not the least bit heroic. There should have been something that happened late in his career that seduced him to the darkside. Instead Lucas decided to have the damn thing be foreseen and inevitable. Well, sure; *we* knew it would happen. But if at east one person in the text of the story didn't know it was going to happen, we coould at least imagine that we were watching a normal movie.

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK was, in retrospect, a fluke. And these prequels will succeed in making it as bad as they are, by association. Save yourselves. Do not watch them.

Mike.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#7 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 06 December 2003 - 01:20 PM

Like I've always said, Episode I, never mind entertainment value, was the most unnecessary movie ever made. Even Lucas admits that it's only purpose is background, to set up the other 2 movies. Newsflash George: WE DON'T NEED 2 HOURS OF GODDAM BACKGROUND! If the series started with Episode II, with maybe 15-20 minutes of background info, even if it was the same exact movie with Portman and Christensen's bad acting and such, no one would be complaining. Because we knew that we would have a whole MOVIE to show the relationships between Anakin-Padme, Anakin-Obi-Wan, hell even Anakin-Yoda and Anakin-Palpatine. We would have a whole movie to progress the characters, to show why they were friends, why Anakin was considered so powerful a Jedi, and why he sided with Palpatine. Instead, because Lucas pussied out on Episode I since he didn't want to make it too dark and wanted to make a goddam kids movie, all of this is going to have to be shown in THE FIRST HALF OF EPISODE III! Hell, maybe even less than that, half if we're lucky. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that most of it will be shown in a 5-MINUTE SHORT CARTOON SERIES, COMIC BOOKS, AND BOOKS! Like I said forget freakin acting, entertainment value, script, or anything else, Episode I was the most unnecessary movie ever made, and really screwed up what could have still been a great trilogy.

However, having said all that, despite there being no hope for redeeming the trilogy as a whole, there still is hope for Episode III, and let's hope it can at least end Star Wars on a high note.

#8 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 06 December 2003 - 03:29 PM

TOO OLD to begin the training? HE' s the freaking chosen one we're repeatedly told. got any other options? have any other rewrites?

in one of the Ep. 2 dvd features on mixing the sound, at the very end GL says something like (with all of the spirit of "yeah, I'm disappointed too. What's YOUR problem?") "well, we've done OUR part." So, stupid people. you didn't like the film? your problem. Lucas washed his hands.

(from a 2002 email to Nate)
maybe Lucas went into the future, saw how much the prequels
would suck, came back, and renamed the 1977 release: "Episode 4: a new hope"

#9 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 07 December 2003 - 08:52 PM

>THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK was, in retrospect, a fluke. And these prequels will >succeed in making it as bad as they are, by association. Save yourselves. Do not >watch them.

"it is too late for me" laugh.gif

>TOO OLD to begin the training? HE' s the freaking chosen one we're repeatedly >told. got any other options? have any other rewrites?

yeah... blink.gif what's up with that? he said it about luke, but anikan was 5!, what do they do train sperm? yoda just says that to everyone.

yoda sucks ass now!!! I can't belive Frank Oz is involved!!!

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 07 December 2003 - 08:59 PM

oh yeah, i forgot my main point.

with the lack of love between Anikan and Obi-wan, i hope ther is no fight.

that's right, f*** it!!!

i don't belive it would happen, I hope (and this will make up for everything) that Obi wan Pushes Anikan into the Lava/Molten Metal pit!!!

#11 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2003 - 09:42 PM

He pushes Anakin into the lava just after he's slept with Padme. A Union that will ultimately produce Luke & Leia. Damned if this Anakin deserves to reproduce or take credit for Luke as an offspring.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#12 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2003 - 09:50 PM

To be consistant with the story George should just have Anakin fall off cliff, Obi Wan fall off a bridge, and Yoda fall off a space ship in which he will land on dagobah.

I went to the starwars forums again and got flamed
check this out: I showed them chef's statement about how bobafett is useless and how Rick McCallum thought Boba Fett was out to get the Skywalkers.

They responed with this:

"Boba got killed because he was busy trying to kill Luke while he was standing on a skiff withy Han, Lando, and Chewie. Maybe it happened that way because Boba was obsessed with killing a member of the Skywalker family."

then someone posted this

That is true. Maybe we'll learn more in Ep3.

I then retorted in a violent manner

Oh my God, I ve seen people on TV defend the most guilty of all convicts in society.

But this is just ridiculous. HE POINTED HIS ####### GUN AT HIM ON A SAND SKIFF? NOW ALL OF a-sudden he is obsessed with killing him? This is just trash, nay, complete disregard for my intellect and also your own.

Boba Fett wanted Solo, not Luke. There is no evidence pointing to Boba Fett wanting to kill luke. And don't say that " there's no evidience not pointing to that he did want kill him" Assume the obvious, if it ain't there, don't try put it there.

After a week of debating why the movie was lacking I then recieved this nasty little comment when I tried to post a comment today

Your account has been frozen in carbonite. The Forum Jedi have restricted your access to the message boards. When frozen, you can only view posts, but cannot edit or post new messages yourself.

It's likely one or more of your previous posts are in violation of our Terms of Service. Please review them and the Frequently Asked Questions

If you feel your account has been frozen in error, or would like to plead your case to have your account unfrozen, please post here.

#13 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 07 December 2003 - 10:19 PM

After empire's release, folks really liked to try to answer all the questions in the story's wake. I mean, we had 3 years following a terrific film. (those were the days.) Anyway, "why did boba pause and not kill Luke in the cloud city hallway? Boba must be Luke's real father!" went one letter to starlog. (or was it fangoria?)

Well, Boba wasn't luke's father. boba fans, get over it. he's just a character that prices well as an early kenner release. he doesn't deserve this backstory treatment, and I was wrong when I thought in JEDI he recieved an unceremonious death. turns out that's what he deserved. now with his traumatic childhood and all, I'm sure that'll change the way he dies on the new JEDI dvd.

#14 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2003 - 10:53 PM

I'm sure that'll change the way he dies on the new JEDI dvd

Maybe this is why he has not released the DVD's of the post trilogy. That slippery shit. It's almost as if he knew that the story was going to be contraticted and perverted.

#15 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Post icon  Posted 07 December 2003 - 11:30 PM

or, how about this...

anikan and padme have a son, just one, they call him anikan and he grows up to be a sophisticated and intelligent pilot who is strong with the force and is trained by obi-wan and together they have a close relation ship, and ani jnr (played by a decent actor) becomes a powerful jedi who marries a REAL queen but before he finds out she's pregnant, doku and palpatine spend half the movie putting poison in his ears about his father and he eventually falls for it and kills his father (the anikan we hate) and thus begins his journey into the dark side, ENTER OBI WAN "i can't let you continue on this path, you're my friend" and so on and so on...

this of course leads to a fight in which mace windu goes after the palpatine, doku goes after yoda, and anikan is left to make a decision about where his loyalties lie and as a shock last minute decision decides to prevent obi-wan from aiding mace. so they fight. doku and yoda crash on the swamp planet in the dagobar system, palpatine kills mace, and anikan jnr falls to his impending disfigurement leaving him in need of a cybernetic overhaul.

and other jedi's left alive should be killed by the imperial gaurd (the tall dudes in the red helms and gowns - iv'e heard they kick ass, well... show me!)

of course the REAL queen, the non-elected queen, the etc. finds out she's got twins so obi-wan says "i'll take him to the planet his grandfather grew up on, anikan jnr wouldn't think to look there because HE has never been there!!! Anikan snr had, but it doesn't matter because he's dead!!! (this would also explain why Darth Vader never recognises C3P0, bacause he didn't make him - and uncle owen could be owen jnr so it explains why uncle owen doen't recognise C3P0 either)

::aplause::standing ovation::cheers of admiration::kudos::and more aplause::

barend just saved star wars, it's just too bad that GL will never read this!!!

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size