Chefelf.com Night Life: Changes in Original Trilogy Highlighted - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Changes in Original Trilogy Highlighted From thedigitalbits.com

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:07 PM

Jen sent me this link to a review of the new Star Wars DVDs. The interesting part is that they show side-by-side screenshots of the differences between the originals and the new "Specialer" Editition. Very interesting chance.

Best change
Changing the English lettering in "A New Hope" to Imperial.

Worst Change
Removing Sebastian Shaw's Anakin Skywalker Jedi apparition.

Most Unusual Change
Removing Sebastian Shaw's eyebrows from scene where Vader's mask is removed. Why would they bother to do that?

Check out the full changes here: http://www.thedigita...arschanges.html
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 September 2004 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the link. If these are all the changes, then I don't think I'll need to buy the DVD after all! smile.gif

#3 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 16 September 2004 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Paladin @ Sep 16 2004, 09:37 PM)
Thanks for the link. If these are all the changes, then I don't think I'll need to buy the DVD after all! smile.gif

I'm willing to bet there will be PLENTY more.

I wonder if Lucas has bothered yet to fix that scene in Ep. IV where they didn't put the effect on Obi-Wan's lightsaber? In the original trilogy it was just a big metal stick... THEN in the Special Edition they still hadn't fixed it!

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#4 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:04 PM

Most of the changes listed there aree just like "Why did they bother?" The lettering one is the ONLY good one. The apparition one makes me want to cry.

#5 User is offline   Lefty Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:06 PM

...except that scene where all the stormtroopers now carry only flashlights.

Oh, wait.

I think I'm falling into the camp of that one guy's post, 'let's attempt to erase Star Wars from our consciousness, 'Total Recall' style.' Can I change my preferences so I no longer see this forum, ChefElf?

#6 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:36 PM

Actually, this seemed like more good than bad news to me. The guy, who seems to be a lot like us in many of his opinions, says that the Greedo scene, while still unacceptable, is now bearable, the Jabba scene looks much better even though it's unnecessary, the Luke scream in ESB has been erased (Hallej-fucking-lujah), and the Naboo scene has been added, which doesn't really affect the movie one way or the other. Plus, he does say that it is magnificent to behold. The one horrible thing is having Christensen instead of Shaw, and that is pretty bad, though the guy did say Lucas's reasoning makes sense in the universe, though it doesn't make sense in OUR universe. But taking this all in, I just have one thing to say.

It could've been a SHITLOAD worse.

#7 User is offline   Esco Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:I love playing baseball, fishing, spending work day ripping on the SW prequels, hanging out with my wife, going to church, working out, writing music, producing music, watching movies, going for long walks (with wife), hanging out with friends.

Posted 16 September 2004 - 10:58 PM

the best news not noted in digitalbits is the Rancor scene in ROTJ which originally looked unacceptable. Thankfully they fixed that up as well and removed the matte lines.
Come on guys, this DVD is worth the price of admission, no?

#8 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 17 September 2004 - 02:28 AM

no.

#9 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:16 AM

Most Unusual Change
Removing Sebastian Shaw's eyebrows from scene where Vader's mask is removed. Why would they bother to do that?

That is strange. However, the reason might be to make Shaws Vader less human or "characteristic". Removing a persons eyebrows effectively removes a lot of personality. Other reasons: All bodily hair was burnt off in the duel? Obi Wan skillfully slicing off Anakins eyebrows to show him who's the better swordsman? smile.gif

Anyway, the changes seem not as bad as anticipated, but I still f**king hate the Greedo scene and the Hayden in Jedi scene. But I bet you there will be some horrible surprises left, like the rumoured Gungan dance close-up in the ROTJ celebration sequence...

Edit: There will be a review by you, right Chef?

This post has been edited by HK 47: 17 September 2004 - 07:17 AM

#10 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (Lefty @ Sep 16 2004, 10:06 PM)
I think I'm falling into the camp of that one guy's post, 'let's attempt to erase Star Wars from our consciousness,  'Total Recall' style.'  Can I change my preferences so I no longer see this forum, ChefElf?

I could technically make you a speciall forum permission mask that filters out this site. But then where would the fun be in having your comments? rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Esco)
the best news not noted in digitalbits is the Rancor scene in ROTJ which originally looked unacceptable. Thankfully they fixed that up as well and removed the matte lines.
Come on guys, this DVD is worth the price of admission, no?

I agree that that is probably one of the worst scenes in the OT, effects wise. Cleaning it up a bit couldn't hurt. I don't really have much of a problem with cleaning things up to look a little better. It's the continuity problems from scene additions/changes taht bother me. I could care less if the Rancor looks better or worse... so long as he doesn't mention some stuff that happened in Attach of the Clones.

QUOTE (HK 47)
Edit: There will be a review by you, right Chef?

I really want to do one but at the moment I am not really in the financial position to be buying... well, anything. Anyone want to buy it for me? rolleyes.gif

#11 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:48 AM

I could care less if the Rancor looks better or worse... so long as he doesn't mention some stuff that happened in Attach of the Clones.

That's my biggest grievance with the whole thing - that Lucas is not allowing viewers like ourselves to pretend the prequels don't exist. We should be able to watch these films without seeing Hayden Christensen and without hearing Temeura Morrison. These are not small things. These are terrible travesties that would ruin the experience for me...

... and let's not forget the awful new dialogue between the Emperor and Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back.

And I hate the fact that he says he is changing these films so they are they way he originally envisioned them. Rubbish. Honestly George, did you envision Hayden Christensen back in 1983?

#12 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:26 PM

geeze, taping over them with any three police acadamy movies would be an improvement at this point.

#13 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Post icon  Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:35 PM

but you can't. Nice coaster set though. I like the box. smile.gif

#14 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2004 - 11:55 PM

although ive not seen it yet, from the looks of things the new clean up on the picture and sound (and old special ed versions) look excellent.

im actually starting to like the Hayden as force ghost thing. it actually seems to make sense too, in light of the line from Obi Wan

"he ceased to be Anakin skywalker, and became Darth Vader...the good man in him was destroyed"

it seems that thats how Anakin wanted his son, who had saved him, to remember him as- a good man, a Jedi.

This post has been edited by jariten: 17 September 2004 - 11:56 PM

#15 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2004 - 02:07 AM

I'd like to buy it for you, but even I'm lacking on the financial position too! sad.gif

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size