Chefelf.com Night Life: Unearthing the fossil... - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Unearthing the fossil... What do we know about the backstory?

#61 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (CowboyCurtis @ Apr 18 2005, 01:31 PM)
Jar Jar is how Lucas originally wanted Chewie, unfortunately.

Huh? This is the first time I've heard anything like this. You're kidding, right?

#62 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:50 PM

Hey, since Leia mentions that Obi Wan served her father, does that then intone that she had met Obi Wan while she was young, perhaps he was even her guardian at some point? Otherwise why would she remember him?

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#63 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Apr 18 2005, 07:50 PM)
Hey, since Leia mentions that Obi Wan served her father, does that then intone that she had met Obi Wan while she was young, perhaps he was even her guardian at some point? Otherwise why would she remember him?

I don't think that logic follows. "Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars." Years ago my father served in the Korean War but obviously I wasn't around to see it. I don't think there's anything in that utterance of Leia's that suggests that she had to have known him.

#64 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:30 PM

I'm trying to find my "art of Star Wars" book which shows an illustration of an early version of Chewbacca that somewhat resembles Jar Jar.... When I find it, I'll post it...
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#65 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:01 PM

Don't you mean "the Art of A New Hope"?

Sorry. In some upcoming posts I'll be showcasing a countdown calendar leading up to the release date of Rots. In one article, Kurtz talks of "THE New hope" being the new Ep 4 name (in 1979.)

#66 User is offline   Sagacity Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:25 PM

The "Art of" books were reissued in the 90's as "Art of Star Wars: (movie title)". I don't remember seeing a Chewie pic that resembles Jar Jar... blink.gif

#67 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:14 PM

Well Leia seems to put an awful lot of faith in him. If you were in trouble you wouldn't just ask one of your dad's old war buddies you'd never met to help you. So I'm theorizing that either he did something really great or that she or her family knew him very well (as opposed to not knowing him at all in the PT )

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#68 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:29 PM

True; she knew to ask for him, J m, (and not, oh... Watto.)

Can't wait to see onscreen what GL has been waiting 40 years to bring us rolleyes.gif

#69 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Apr 19 2005, 10:14 PM)
Well Leia seems to put an awful lot of faith in him. If you were in trouble you wouldn't just ask one of your dad's old war buddies you'd never met to help you.

Well, that's a good point. (Although if I knew any of them I'd consider calling them for help if there were no one else.) But remember that it's not Leia who begs for Kenobi's help, it's her father. "Now he begs you..." She's just passing the message along. Again, I don't think that the evidence requires that Leia knew Kenobi.

#70 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:44 AM

I found the Jar-Chewie picture. I'll scan it tomorrow. It's not as exactly I had remembered. I hadn't looked at it in awhile. It resembles Jar Jar in only the barest of senses... so my point is probably moot.

Well Leia seems to put an awful lot of faith in him. If you were in trouble you wouldn't just ask one of your dad's old war buddies you'd never met to help you. So I'm theorizing that either he did something really great or that she or her family knew him very well (as opposed to not knowing him at all in the PT )

That's what I thought, too. In my rewrites, Obi-Wan is from Alderaan, and it's sworn protector. So, Leia would know the stories not just from her father, but historical records as well, and the legends that surround him.

And may I add in my read through the ROTS script, where does it show that Obi-Wan actually "helped" Bail in the Clone War(s)??? Nowhere does it show this. It looks more like Bail saves Obi-Wan's ass!

This post has been edited by CowboyCurtis: 20 April 2005 - 12:45 AM

Flying Ferret

#71 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:36 AM

I know there's no hard evidence to support this, but I always assumed that Leia knew Obi Wan personally.

Remember when Luke tells her "I'm here with Ben Kenobi."? What does she do?

She gets all excited and says "Ben Kenobi? Where is he?"

Also, the fact that she refers to him as Ben in that scene shows a familiarity which sort of lends itself to the theory that she knew him.

Remember, she's a diplomat who grew up in the Alderaan royal family. She knew Darth Vader already, knew Governor Tarkin and presumably moved around in the circles of very influential people. Is it so far fetched to believe she knew Obi Wan Kenobi personally?

#72 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:40 AM

Well, that's a good point. (Although if I knew any of them I'd consider calling them for help if there were no one else.) But remember that it's not Leia who begs for Kenobi's help, it's her father. "Now he begs you..." She's just passing the message along. Again, I don't think that the evidence requires that Leia knew Kenobi.

Good point, but then you wouldnt refer to them as your only hope. I had forgotten the dialogue about her father wanting it, but I still think theres a good case for her actually knowing Obi Wan. Either way the prequels don't show any of this so its open to speculation.

Movie Goer- Ah so I'm not the only one who thought there might have been a connection.

#73 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (ernesttomlinson @ Apr 18 2005, 04:26 PM)
Huh?  This is the first time I've heard anything like this.  You're kidding, right?

re: Jar JAr /chewie...

i'm sure the 2014 edditions of SW, will have JJ instead of chewie...

#74 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:19 PM

I'm sure by then my fridge curse will have severely damaged Lucas - also the fruitbasket one might have some impact.

#75 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:49 PM

Here are those images... judge for yourself...

Probably not. I think it's the eyes kind of remind me of Jar Jar.
Flying Ferret

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size