Chefelf.com Night Life: What's all that crap in the Jedi library? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

What's all that crap in the Jedi library? Jedi don't have the internet...

#1 User is offline   The Spinning Corpse of Gary Kurtz Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:46 AM

Look...I know this is supposed to be a galaxy far, far away...but do the Jedi really need a huge room full of what look like giant neon laser discs to store information? Wouldn't they just all access one big database?
I mean, what happens if you're a Jedi, and you urgently need to find out about a particular planet or species or something, only to be told by that crotchety old witch that the particular disc you need has been lent out to some pudgey faced Jedi kid...

And anyway...how does that massive, cavernous room fit into a tower?

It's just rubbish.

#2 User is offline   The Spinning Corpse of Gary Kurtz Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:53 AM

...And how many different shapes and sizes of toilet must that building need?

Rubbish.

#3 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 August 2004 - 07:53 AM

AHAHAHAHA!!! I LOVE your avatar! Welcome aboard TSCOGK!

Oh yeah, and that crotchety old witch is probably Lucas attempt to "make the kids feel welcome in the neon disc library". Hope she gets brutally slaughtered by Vader... Never paid that part much attention myself since there was also this huge glaring flaw in that sequence. "Let's ask the kids shall we?" "Maybe they can figure it out". Yoda: "Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is." I hated that part. Crap! Crap! Crap! yell.gif yell.gif yell.gif

Speaking of crap... hmm it's probably just a large hole somewhere where the Jedi use the Force when dispatching their feces.

This post has been edited by HK 47: 29 August 2004 - 07:55 AM

#4 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:48 AM

That was horrible wasn't it... but oh, I forgot. These movies are made for kids! ohmy.gif Silly me. There I was, thinking that these films were made for the fans who had been waiting patiently for over a decade for them. What was I thinking?

And welcome aboard, The Spinning Corpse of Gary Kurtz. Great avatar and great username.... you wouldn't be the real Gary Kurtz by any luck, would you? smile.gif

#5 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2004 - 11:02 PM

.but do the Jedi really need a huge room full of what look like giant neon laser discs to store information? Wouldn't they just all access one big database?

Lucas was trying to go for an ancient, archiac feel to the Jedi library. and since Obi looks up something in about 5 seconds on a computer, im guessing that everything is stored in one big database.

And anyway...how does that massive, cavernous room fit into a tower?

the tower just houses the jedi council, theres a whole other structure underneath that.

"Let's ask the kids shall we?" "Maybe they can figure it out". Yoda: "Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is."

Yoda was trying to humble Obi a little bit. dont get too far ahead of yourself, dont get too confidant in your own abilites. despite the skill with which he conducted the search, in the end he ignored the most obvious explanation. even then, he didnt believe it ("thats impossible isnt it"). this seems to tie in with Yodas comment about arrogance being a flaw more and more common Jedi ("even the older, more experiened ones" lol)

#6 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2004 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Aug 29 2004, 11:02 PM)
"Let's ask the kids shall we?" "Maybe they can figure it out". Yoda: "Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is."

Yoda was trying to humble Obi a little bit. dont get too far ahead of yourself, dont get too confidant in your own abilites. despite the skill with which he conducted the search, in the end he ignored the most obvious explanation. even then, he didnt believe it ("thats impossible isnt it"). this seems to tie in with Yodas comment about arrogance being a flaw more and more common Jedi ("even the older, more experiened ones" lol)

I'm not sure I agree. The way I see it, Lucas wants to show us how innocent and "free" the minds of children are. "Only a child could figure it out because they have no preconcieved ideas about the world". A decent concept, only it is presented in a horribly awkward and stupid way. There is no mystery or "aha" feeling to it. The scene feels like it's been forced into the plot. Obi Wan must be a moron to not think of it. "There is gravity there, but we can't see the planet, duh!" No, not arrogant, a moron. smile.gif

#7 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:23 PM

What's worse is that yoda belittles obi wan infront of the kids...

yodarse:lost a planet obi wan has hmmm?
annoying kids:*laughter*

i guess there is not heirachy in the jedi order then...
it's poor form to allow students to laugh at a senior member of the order, in class.

I know it was ligghthearted but still... these kids are taken away from their families, not allowed to love, and yet none of these harsh realities stop the kids from laughing at the expense of a jediknight. these kids seem really happy about their situation...

it's so dumb that 5 year olds are being trained... I mean really...
it trivializes the whole damned concept...

#8 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:37 PM

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This is another scene I was unaware of until recently. So what happens here? Yoda shows how a bunch of kids know things Obi Wan doesn't? Or how they can use reasoning he has no access to?

Huh.

Didn't Obi Wan go to this school? What's the point of teaching these kids silly word games or whatever, if apparently they'll just forget them when they grow up? Is this like how we all learned about Fort Huron and Captain Vancouver and all that shit when we were 9?

I agree with HK 47 that this scene seems to be about the minds of innocent children, and pure uninfected thinking, and lateral thinking and all that. But come on, is it just the equivalent of those games that little kids play, where they ask really obvious questions of one another and the answers are all tricks? Should Obi Wan be falling for this rubbish?

Once more, Lucas forgets that Obi Wan went to this school and is well aware of this game. Once more, Lucas does not understand the concept of "offstage development."

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#9 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 30 August 2004 - 11:15 PM

once more, obi wan should have followed his pupils actions and slaughtered the bunch of them for laughing!!!

#10 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:06 AM

It was just filler. And in a way, a very quick and easy way out to solve the oh-so mind boggling mystery that perplexed the audience for a whole 15 minutes.

I hated that scene. I even hated how the kid answered "master yoda sir".
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#11 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:11 AM

yeah, it should have been more like a boot camp!

WHEN JUMP I SAY, HOW HIGH YOU WILL ASK, HMMM!!!

#12 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2004 - 12:18 AM

And have you noticed, that one kid in that scene is called LIAM? GL was taking the piss out of Neeson, no doubt. That does say something about actor-director relationship in TPM.

#13 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 01 September 2004 - 02:32 AM

to continue my point:

Yoda: In what part of galaxy, born were you?
Liam: Alderan, Master Yoda.
Yoda: well... two types there are, Alderan from... Steers, and Queers!

#14 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2004 - 08:30 AM

can somebody remind me of the part that refutes that Obi Wan hadnt already-

1. figured it out

2. was going to Yoda for confirmation/to discuss the problem of a jedi potentially wiping data from the archive, and

3. that he was just keeping his mouth shut and letting Yoda let the kids try to figure it out in the way that good teachers should?

#15 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2004 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Sep 1 2004, 08:30 AM)
can somebody remind me of the part that refutes that Obi Wan hadnt already-

1. figured it out

2. was going to Yoda for confirmation/to discuss the problem of a jedi potentially wiping data from the archive, and

3. that he was just keeping his mouth shut and letting Yoda let the kids try to figure it out in the way that good teachers should?

1. This should have been made clear if he had, considering the importance of the problem. Where is the evidence that he had figured it out? Which is more likely?

2. They didn't discuss that problem. They only discussed the missing planet, not the implications of a rogue Jedi.

3. So instead of treating this as a serious problem, they turn it into a little mini-quiz for the kids? Yeah right. Since this implies that he already knows, see reply no 1.

HK-47: "Grasping at straws meatbag!!!" yell.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size