Chefelf.com Night Life: Movies that could have been very bad - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Movies that could have been very bad But were actually very good

#31 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 25 August 2004 - 12:45 PM

I actually didn't think Titan A.E. was that bad. It could've been better, yeah, but I thought it was interesting.

Along those lines though, I thought Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within would be horrible, but I really liked it. Not only for the animation (which really is remarkable, and I hope they do other movies like that) but for the story. I really liked the story, and the characters. Baldwin, Buschemi, Rhames, Sutherland, Woods, and the girl who played Aki were all very good. I was disappointed it flopped, first because I think people missed a good movie, and second because now they probably won't make movies like this for a while, until it gets a lot cheaper.

Oh and I've never played a FF game so I didn't have any biases going in.

This post has been edited by Vwing: 25 August 2004 - 12:47 PM

#32 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:23 PM

If final fantasy had anything to do with the game it would have sucked...

the games rather silly and comical...
there are some cool things in it, but only in the confines of the game.

however i like that revolver sword... i don't know why...

#33 User is offline   Lefty Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Post icon  Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:11 AM

It's a fine line (whether the movies on my list are bad or AWESOME).

Many of them are undeniably crummy, but despite themselves, they deliver huge amounts of amusement, or are the perfect thing to have keeping your VCR out of trouble while you're playing a computer game (or programming, for those of you that like to multitask with both extremes of your brain at once).

Lost In Space is more fun if you refer to Matt LeBlanc as "Joey" (as I learned from the lanceandeskimo crew).

#34 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:16 AM

It depends on what you mean by "good".

Are we talking about "movies that looked unpromising, but turned out to be truly masterful"?

Or "movies that looked dumb, embarrassing, and unenjoyable, but turned out to deliver the laffs"?

In the first case, I'd agree about Crouching Tiger and Clueless (although I too was expected CT to be pretty good). In the second case, I'd agree about most of the movies that were suggested (that I've seen) (except possibly Mystery Men, which <i>looked</i> good (it has Janeane Garofalo!) but turned out to kind of suck).

I've gotten to the point where I'm having trouble telling the difference between "good" and "fun". If I like a movie, I'm afraid I might think it's good, even if it's not "good" good. That's why Wing Commander is right next to Magnificent Seven on my shelf (that and they're the same color).

#35 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 29 August 2004 - 01:59 AM

It didn't really bag a load o' laffs;

has anyone seen this movie, Midnight Madness? It was Disney's second targeted "PG" movie (the black hole being the first,) and was kinda fun. these nerds, jocks, sorority girls, actual nerds (the guy from I Wanna Hold Your Hand, that Spielberg gem,) all go on an all night scavenger hunt (created by another nerd all his own) in L.A. Our heroes are led by nice guy David (mc?)Naughton who was the dr pepper guy of the late '70s.

I can't believe I'm tying myself to this worthless film. But I'd like to see again to see if, yeah, it's just a bad film after all.

#36 User is offline   Girdag Fireskull Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 01 September 2004 - 02:52 PM

Donnie Darko. Could have descended into psychotwaddle, but turned out to be one of the best film's that I've seen. Some parts are just inspired.

#37 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 07 January 2005 - 11:13 PM

That movie Stuart Little wasn't THAT bad. I understand the sequel wasn't so good...

But the little moment that makes me smile is where the Nathan Lane cat's friend wants to do something and smiles with a cat toothy grin and begs "pleeeeeeeaase?" that was cute.

And I'm not a fan of the talking babies kind of thing.

#38 User is offline   Xombie Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:26 AM

I'd have to say Wild Things. I was expecting a big-nothing cinemax-style soft core by-the-numbers thriller and got instead one of the most inventively intricate plots I'd ever experienced.

#39 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, Wild Things had a lot of great twists and turns - very entertaining. And lots of fun. Yeah, I'm with you on that one, Xombie.

#40 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:26 AM

You are all forgetting the masterpiece Bubba Ho-Tep is, just take the idea (an elderly Elvis versus a Mummy) and it immediatly sounds moronic stupid and C-movie-ish. Instead it is a brilliant movie that mops up the floor with most of todays top class Hollywood films.

Ohhh and Evil Alien Conquerors, but maybe that's just because I was expecting a horribly stupid and retarded movie, which I got, but there was something very special about the presentation of it all.

#41 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (Laura @ Aug 28 2004, 07:16 AM)
It depends on what you mean by "good".

Are we talking about "movies that looked unpromising, but turned out to be truly masterful"?

Or "movies that looked dumb, embarrassing, and unenjoyable, but turned out to deliver the laffs"?

In the first case, I'd agree about Crouching Tiger and Clueless (although I too was expected CT to be pretty good). In the second case, I'd agree about most of the movies that were suggested (that I've seen) (except possibly Mystery Men, which <i>looked</i> good (it has Janeane Garofalo!) but turned out to kind of suck).

I've gotten to the point where I'm having trouble telling the difference between "good" and "fun". If I like a movie, I'm afraid I might think it's good, even if it's not "good" good. That's why Wing Commander is right next to Magnificent Seven on my shelf (that and they're the same color).

Well said, Laura. I share that same dilemma with this thread. Generally speaking its easier to name films that look bad and prove to be bad than it is to name films that look bad and turn out good.

As for myself, I thought the original teaser trailer for Pirates of the Caribbean made the film look - or rather, sound - dumb, granted it was just a bunch of random shots of CGI islands and oceans. Then I saw the main trailer and I changed my mind.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - flawed, but interesting. To quote the late Sir Alec Guinness, it remains a vivid experience.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#42 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 13 January 2005 - 02:44 AM

Yeah, Mystery Men took what could be a good concept for comedy and butchered it via lack of jokes and Ben Stiller.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#43 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:09 AM

I think they aimed for too young an audience, and hence missed the nerd/geek target.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#44 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 16 January 2005 - 12:24 AM

I saw a movie on tv earlier tonight, 84 Charing Cross Road with Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins. It's not that it could have been bad, but I wasn't necessarily expecting it to be as enjoyable. Read the book a long time ago, couldn't envision it as a film. Just innocent letters, mostly between the leads.

But I thought I'd mention it because correspondence is also central to webforums.

What surprised me was that it was a dramatic film, directed by Mel Brooks. the good news, there are comedic moments, and it still holds up.

1977's Star Wars also had comedic moments..

And it sleep.gif still holds up.

#45 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:34 PM

Robocop 2 had a lot potential that was squandered.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size