Chefelf.com Night Life: Coming Soon to Chefelf forums - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Coming Soon to Chefelf forums lobby poster

#16 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 19 August 2004 - 01:47 AM

Are you responding to the av with the green background or is there something we need to know about? ph34r.gif

Good Point about the upload times. You're absolutely right, and I'll take that under advisement. It's thoughtless not to be considerate and with save for web there are plenty of options to exercise smile.gif

And if we have to vacate the mall, where else can we go?

BTW I hope some of you have seen the film this is based on. It won an oscar for best cinematography that year, 1984, but lost best picture to Gandhi. Great score, with 3 or 4 themes at least. three and a quarter hours, but covers the amount of ground we'd like to see in the episode three. Probably the same amount of scenes though.

Lots going on. If it's alright I'm going to power down. I got a lot of work done earlier and watched/listened to TNE TT (the normal edition sad.gif .) I'm sure you'll be happy I took notes. tongue.gif

You guys paved the way for this new outlet. If there's a movie house playing when I get this done, we'll try to emulate the good stuff that's out there now.

#17 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2004 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Aug 19 2004, 01:47 AM)
Are you responding to the av with the green background or is there something we need to know about? ph34r.gif

Oh, no, I was just making fun of myself for NOT having recognised your avatar as SW character... Some SW fan I am... biggrin.gif

But of course, Peter Cushing played both Grand Moff Tarking AND Sherlock Holmes.

And am I understanding you correctly that you are going to add some things to TTT bashing thread? I am looking forward, then....

And I admit that I have not seen the film. I tried to find the list of nominees for 1984 and was not able to find it, there was only list of winners. Could you help?

#18 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Aug 19 2004, 01:36 AM)
Despondent, please don't get discouraged by Heccubuss.

No one's discouraging anyone. I know full well that this will wind up on here, irregardless of anything that I say (after all, I'm just the bleeding moderator, right?), I'm just saying that we've already got two, and it would be best if they were on a seperate site with a thread for discussion as well. The photo album was started so that there would be a designated thread for posting images of users, because we were suddenly seeing a slew of user-posted images since everyone decided to unmask. Now there's a whole new "trend" of sorts in image posting that can't really be solved by starting a single thread for everyone to post such things in. I'd rather we deal with a potential problem now than have a real problem to deal with later on.

#19 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Aug 19 2004, 05:46 AM)
QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Aug 19 2004, 01:36 AM)
Despondent, please don't get discouraged by Heccubuss.

No one's discouraging anyone.

I know you no-one is. As I said later on in my mail, I understand your point. I just wanted Despondent to keep working, and perhaps you can find a way to combine both purposes:
1. Keep us all happy viewing the work of fellow participants
2. Not to have the forum clogged with images.

And you don't think it was my intention to get on the wrong side of the all-mighty moderator, do you? sad.gif wink.gif

#20 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:35 AM

Madame C., they may have it in your Movie rental store. It was up for best pic against Ghandi, Sophie's Choice, the Verdict (? with Paul Newman,) and something else. ROTJ? no, wasn't that one. Thanks for the encouragement.

Heccubus, I understand your points. Maybe I'll put it on my dial-up megspace and link to that as a new site? Whatever.

You do have an appropos role in this thing...

#21 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:57 AM

Why not make a section of the forum dedicated to these things, and other picture intensive stuff, and then let each story be its own thread therein. Hence, all the pics will be relegated to a specific picuture area, so that people will know going in that anything in there may load slower.

And on the topic of movies, just what movie is it? Is 'The Right Site' the title of the movie, or did you modify it. Because if it's the actual title, I don't think I've ever heard of it before. But then again, I'm currently tired and have a headache, so my thoughts aren't the quickest.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#22 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Aug 19 2004, 10:57 AM)
And on the topic of movies, just what movie is it? Is 'The Right Site' the title of the movie, or did you modify it. Because if it's the actual title, I don't think I've ever heard of it before. But then again, I'm currently tired and have a headache, so my thoughts aren't the quickest.

There you are:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086197/

#23 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:43 PM

I can't speak for everyone on dial-up, but I don't mind large images that much, if they have a purpose. Indeed, I find the pauses between "website found, waiting for reply" and "done" to be quite relaxing and meditative. Oh yeah.

Anyway, looks good, Despondent. The two skulls there really bring it all together, y'know? It should be interesting.

#24 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:39 PM

I tried signing up to angel fire but, they no longer seem to have feee hosting... they advertise it... but i couldn't get past the $4, $10, $20 per month options...

i'll keep trying...

also though, in my experience, it's the pics that are slow to laod not the whole site...

but, perhaps we can Hectify the situation but having a thread paraody section...

you gave Jon Gutner his own section... and he never shows up anymore...

how about a JYAMG, Barend, Depondent section hmmmm...

PS
'hectify'

he he he he

(FIGJAM)

#25 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:30 PM

If you do plan to set up a free hosting account, you may want to try 50megs.com, since you're dealing with a large number of images.

#26 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:16 AM

I'll look into it. Thanks Heccubus.

Barend, I hope that one day, Hectify will have a place in the Oxford Dictionary. That is a great word! smile.gif

Hectify - (verb) meaning to rectify a situation, when the action is performed by one Heccubus of the Chefelf forums.

This post has been edited by Just your average movie goer: 20 August 2004 - 12:17 AM

#27 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:43 PM

Reccomended viewing, if you haven't seen "The Right Stuff," please make an attempt to in the next couple of weeks. It's really good, even by the high standards set by this forum and it's members. I chose it as a basis because it's one of my all time faves. It has terrific old-school special effects, a strong story, real people who become heroes, a dose of humor and an excellent soundrack. (not unlike ANH)

plus it was the basis of a Simpsons Episode. smile.gif

#28 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:39 AM

Well after checking out the options offered at ImageShack, Photobucket and 50megs.com, I have to say, Heccubus....

image hosting on the web seems pretty impossible to poor people like myself.

50megs.com says it offers free hosting and when you click on this, it asks you which payment option you would prefer (I must look up 'free' in the dictionary sometime because I thought it meant something else).

ImageShack does have free hosting... but has a limit on how many images you can upload before you have to start paying for it.

PhotoBucket seems like it may be workable but I'm having some trouble with it.

What I'd really like is something where I could just upload all the images and have them displayed as they were in this forum, so people viewing them can scroll down through them all as they did in the Star Wars forum.

I'll keep trying.... but I guess what I'm saying is that this forum is probably the only place where any of us will be able to post images on the internet.

I'd love to have my own internet site where I could do this but I don't know how to do it. I've never made my own website.

This post has been edited by Just your average movie goer: 21 August 2004 - 10:40 AM

#29 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 21 August 2004 - 11:19 AM

I'm not talking about image hosting. I'm talking about making a website for these things, and just having a thread to discuss them, with a link to the site in the first post or something. And 50megs DOES have a free account option. There is an enormous "FREE" logo at the top. They haven't exactly hidden it away where you can't find it.

#30 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 21 August 2004 - 11:28 AM

That's what I clicked. And then it asked me which payment method I'd prefer. But I will try again.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size