• (2 Pages)
  • +

Already a continuity error... and Episode III hasn't even come out yet

#1 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:13 AM

If anybody watched the preview for Episode III, we see Anakin's eyes are yellow...once he has turned to the dark side presumably...

Unless George Lucas is telling us that our eyes turn yellow when we become evil, and this is some sort of biological function, why are Anakin's (old dying egg-headed man's) eyes in ROTJ normal? I guess the answer is they turn back into normal when you are "born again."

I imagine this is the case, but if it is that when you become a Sith apprentce you turn into an evil demon and your eyes turn yellow...then why is Christopher Lee normal looking?

This post has been edited by Hannibal: 10 November 2004 - 12:14 AM

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#2 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:40 AM

We know from ROTJ, and KOTOR, turning to the darkside will physically change certain, but not all, force sensitive users. That's why Dooku doesn't seem to be affect (I cant believe Im sticking up for Lucas here) and Palpatine and Anakin are. I personally like the idea that some dark side user change and some don't. Adds more mystic to the darkside. Though his eyes still should've been yellow at the end of ROTJ. I bet that scene with Anakin will not be in the movie. A few scenes from the trailers never make it

This post has been edited by Michel Orla: 10 November 2004 - 12:43 AM

#3 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 10 November 2004 - 01:04 AM

it's probably a nighmare had by Amidala or Obi-wang.

cause we see him fight Obi in normal clothes... and we know the fight occurs before the fall into the lava, and he has normal eyes there...
so i'd say nightmare...

uh-hem... not that i care or anything, you know... FSW and all...

looks like a KOTOR rip off (the only descent thing left in the SW galaxy)

#4 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 10 November 2004 - 06:15 AM

You say that now, but wait til you see the KOTOR special edition! Lucas didnt feel it lived up to his vision so he took out all the game play and instead you just sit there and watch all the animation sequences with Gungans added in for commentary. Here's some highlights.

From the scene where Revan tortures Bastila:

"Come to the dark side, or be bantha poodoo!!!"

From the scene where the main character is trained by Vandar on Dantooine:

"You know, you look familiar but I can't quite place you. You wouldn't happen to be clouding my vision would you?"

From the scene where the main character finds Bastila in the cage on the starting planet:

"..." -Stares at Bastila creepily- "shes got a purdy mouth"

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 10 November 2004 - 06:21 AM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#5 User is offline   Garth Vader Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:34 AM

dude, the prequel trilogy is one big continuity error.

#6 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (Michel Orla @ Nov 10 2004, 06:40 AM)
We know from ROTJ, and KOTOR, turning to the darkside will physically change certain, but not all, force sensitive users. That's why Dooku doesn't seem to be affect (I cant believe Im sticking up for Lucas here) and Palpatine and Anakin are. I personally like the idea that some dark side user change and some don't. Adds more mystic to the darkside. Though his eyes still should've been yellow at the end of ROTJ. I bet that scene with Anakin will not be in the movie. A few scenes from the trailers never make it

But this just brings up even more unnecessary questions. If the Dark Side only causes physical changes in some Force users, why on earth is this the case? I always assumed it happened to everyone, but depended on how long they'd been following the Dark Side and how often they made use of it. Of course, Lucas is now doing his best to screw up this eminently sensible theory.

You say that now, but wait til you see the KOTOR special edition! Lucas didnt feel it lived up to his vision so he took out all the game play and instead you just sit there and watch all the animation sequences with Gungans added in for commentary.

Don't. Just... please don't. *shudders*
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#7 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:24 AM

The Yellow Eyes are ridiculous. I think the reason they are there however is because Lucas was watching X-Men and he saw Mystique and thought "Hey, that looks cool. I might use that in my next movie."

Kind of like how he saw the chariot race in Ben Hurr and this led to the pod race in Episode I.

I imagine Lucas to be a lot like a little kid with a piece of paper, a box of crayons in front of a television set.

#8 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (Helena @ Nov 10 2004, 09:04 AM)
But this just brings up even more unnecessary questions. If the Dark Side only causes physical changes in some Force users, why on earth is this the case? I always assumed it happened to everyone, but depended on how long they'd been following the Dark Side and how often they made use of it. Of course, Lucas is now doing his best to screw up this eminently sensible theory.

yeah i wondered that too. an obviously evil Dooku would have been no good in Ep2 though, the same goes for Palpatine. Remember that Maul had the same eyes, and he seemed consumed by the dark side in a way that Dooku wasnt. if you have to give in to the dark side, perhaps its possible to 'hold back' before it consumes you completely. Palpatine of Ep6 seems to be mentally unbalanced compared to his more reserved, intelligent younger self. Dooku had a similar kind of calm restraint.

#9 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:27 PM

JYAMG, I was actually like George Lucas for my first year and a half of writing. Then I got some sense knocked into me and I realized that ripping off other people's work like that is just plain stupid.

Speaking of which, in the story that I'm writing (I'm doing good progress on the second chapter) the part where your character uses a motorcycle to escape through the enemy defenses is partially inspired by the motorcycle chase in The Great Escape, but I want to make it different enough to be original.

#10 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:11 PM

Using other stuff for inspiration is fine. But what Lucas did with the Pod Race was replicate the chariot race of Ben Hurr down to the last detail - even having the bad guy use some trickery to damage the other guy's pod. It was embarrassing.

#11 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Nov 10 2004, 07:11 PM)
Using other stuff for inspiration is fine. But what Lucas did with the Pod Race was replicate the chariot race of Ben Hurr down to the last detail - even having the bad guy use some trickery to damage the other guy's pod. It was embarrassing.

Not to mention, it was boring! One of the things about the OT was that even if he ripped off other things, he ripped them off WELL, they were rip-offs that would entertain you. Now, it's just one 10 minute race that serves no purpose but to get this whiny little kid we just met out of slavery, when the Jedi could have easily just said, we're taking him Watto, go fuck yourself. Oh and his mother too. And it's just so boring, nothing exciting happens in the race at all, there are maybe 1 or 2 fairly exciting moments, and then it just goes back to a bunch of weird looking vehicles racing in the sand. You just don't care.

#12 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:18 AM

I also found it hard to get ignore the fact that Lucas made the pods look like chariots as well.... these are machines, right? Yet we have engines harnessed to the pod to drag them along. For the love of all that's good in the world, why?

Why weren't the engines built into the pod?

And yes, it was boring. I also believe it is the catalyst that ruined the rest of Episode I (and in turn, the entire prequel trilogy). Lucas was supposed to be showing us the clone wars and establishing the key players in the fall of the Old Republic and the rise of the Empire...

... but instead we got two hours of entirely inconsequential pointlessness.

And all because Lucas wanted to set up this stupid set piece, the pod race.

#13 User is offline   Garth Vader Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Nov 11 2004, 04:18 AM)
I also found it hard to get ignore the fact that Lucas made the pods look like chariots as well.... these are machines, right? Yet we have engines harnessed to the pod to drag them along. For the love of all that's good in the world, why?

Why weren't the engines built into the pod?

And yes, it was boring. I also believe it is the catalyst that ruined the rest of Episode I (and in turn, the entire prequel trilogy). Lucas was supposed to be showing us the clone wars and establishing the key players in the fall of the Old Republic and the rise of the Empire...

... but instead we got two hours of entirely inconsequential pointlessness.

And all because Lucas wanted to set up this stupid set piece, the pod race.

yep, damn right. episode 1 by in large was a waste of time and meant the rest of the PT was far too cmpressed and forced to miss out the better parts of what you'd expect from a new trilogy.

#14 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2004 - 11:23 AM

it depends on how you look at it, or what you expect SW to be about. Lucas has always said that SW is about Anakin. so if you look at it from his perspective, the choices he made make perfect sense (wether we agree with them or not is something else of course).

heres what TPM set up-

1. The start of Palpatines rise to power, which is the one thing that the whole saga pretty much revolves around

2. The early life of Darth Vader, including his connection to his mother, which will be a crucial factor in his (and hence, the whole sagas) life

3. The Jedi- who they were, how they worked, what they did

4. a place which has no wars, and no real conflict or strife

I dont think that starting the first film with the clone wars would have been that good as i always think its important to see the 'unspoiled' SW galaxy (with idllyic places like Naboo and Courasant) in order for the deterioration as the story progresses to be more powerful. i like the idea of the galaxy falling to bits as Anakin does.

although there are times when i wonder what might have happened with Hayden playing Anakin in all three films (starting with him aged 19 or something in TPM). i think the whole thing might have been a bit tighter.

#15 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:18 PM

heres what TPM set up-

“1. The start of Palpatines rise to power, which is the one thing that the whole saga pretty much revolves around”

I thought it was always centered on Anikan. Which is bullshit because, accept it. Lucas makes this up as he goes along.

“2. The early life of Darth Vader, including his connection to his mother, which will be a crucial factor in his (and hence, the whole sagas) life”

He was too old. We ought to have QG, Obi-wan droids and the naboo crowd stumble upon the babe in a manger. Star wars tried to break into the holidays before, SW Nativity sets could have been as seasonal as coca-cola red.

“3. The Jedi- who they were, how they worked, what they did”

Well, they did some cool force magic, which they pretty much ignored after the opening sequence. the higher-ups didn’t work at all. the freaking Senate was more efficient than the Jedi masters for jedi’s sake.

“4. a place which has no wars, and no real conflict or strife”

because of 999 generations keeping the peace (that are never mentioned outside of Ep 4?) without the memory of winning a war they have perfect peace? (ok, fine: Slavery is strife. Jedi live with conflict within)

“I dont think that starting the first film with the clone wars would have been that good as i always think its important to see the 'unspoiled' SW galaxy (with idllyic places like Naboo and Courasant) in order for the deterioration as the story progresses to be more powerful. i like the idea of the galaxy falling to bits as Anakin does.”

why not go back to the formation of the Jedi council then? (Or even the formation of the single celled organism? why not make the darwin fish the lucas fish?) the reason religion gets such a bad rap isn’t because of what the savior did, it’s because of how people divide the spoils and set themselves up in authority. endor was more idllyic IMHO than the places you mentioned.

“although there are times when i wonder what might have happened with Hayden playing Anakin in all three films (starting with him aged 19 or something in TPM). i think the whole thing might have been a bit tighter. “

Accept it for what it is. Like with religion, the definition depends on who you are. So Jariten, you’re right. I’m right. Arafat was right and Lucas is right. force clouded Yoda is right and we’re all right! And then we'll sell it in New Hampshire! and then in wisconsin! and in california! Star wars forever. (I mean Special Edition Star Wars forever.) Yeaaaahhhhhhghhhh!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size