Chefelf.com Night Life: Shark Repellent Deemed a Breakthrough - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Shark Repellent Deemed a Breakthrough Saturday, July 31, 2004

#1 User is offline   K1NGWARREN Icon

• Devil Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 31 July 2004 - 10:37 AM

Shark Repellent Deemed a Breakthrough
Saturday, July 31, 2004

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Excited by the scent of blood, a dozen sharks dart about in a frenzy as a researcher dips a pole in the sea and squirts out a clear, yellowish substance. Within seconds, the sharks jerk their snouts away and vanish.

Researchers say they finally have found a potent repellent to drive away sharks, after testing off Bimini island in the Bahamas. It's a goal that's eluded scientists for decades.

"You introduce this chemical, and they all leave," said lead researcher Eric Stroud, a 30-year-old chemical engineer from Oak Ridge, N.J. "It works very, very well."

http://story.news.ya...epelling_sharks

#2 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 July 2004 - 11:27 AM

Excellent. I'll just wait until Ron and Valerie Taylor give it a test run and if they're not devoured, I'll give it a shot.

#3 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 31 July 2004 - 11:39 AM

I can't believe people are still freaked out by Jaws. That movie is so tame by today's standards.

#4 User is offline   electricprune Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Theremin playing, experimental music, cable access tv, amateur photography, indie film, hula hooping, blueberries, yogurt, macaroni and cheese, walking long distances, psychedelic music

Posted 31 July 2004 - 06:36 PM

I have a good friend who is terrified of sharks and gets the willies whenever you mention "Jaws." Perhaps I ought to get him one of those shark shields that divers wear for his next trip to the beach.

#5 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 31 July 2004 - 08:57 PM

I'm happy just as long as the water is clear and the sunlight enhances the visibility as much as possible. I hate swimming in murky water and I hate it when a wave whips up lots of sand in the water so you can't see a thing. I do not like this at all. If there is a shark in the water, I want to be able to see it.

#6 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 August 2004 - 06:56 AM

Generally, if a shark is near the beach, its all over the radio in advance anyway.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#7 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:03 AM

...a researcher dips a pole in the sea and squirts out a clear, yellowish substance...

is just me, or did the dude just take a leak in the ocean?

#8 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:23 AM

My God! It's so simple! You don't have to do anything to ward off a shark attack.

If you see a shark near you in the water, you will be petrified. If you are petrified, you will wet yourself. If you wet yourself, the odour of the urine carried by the ocean currents will disgust the shark and it will go away.

No worries!

#9 User is offline   electricprune Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Theremin playing, experimental music, cable access tv, amateur photography, indie film, hula hooping, blueberries, yogurt, macaroni and cheese, walking long distances, psychedelic music

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:42 AM

That's what I thought when I first read that. Maybe I just have a gross mind.

#10 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2004 - 12:21 PM

But... Bat Man has had Bat Shark Repellent for years. Damn Wayne industries and their malicious lies and coverups!

#11 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:48 PM

It's funny I was just thinking about that... and it came in a can of spray too...

#12 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 02 August 2004 - 01:10 AM

That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television. It's a hard call though, deciding which was the most outlandish...

the shark repellant

or

Batman rehydrating all the U.N. guys.

Probably the latter, as it's completely impossible, but the shark repellant cracked me up just as much. smile.gif

#13 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 02 August 2004 - 04:32 AM

I've been SCUBA diving in Hawaii before, and I always kept in the back of my mind the possiblity of a shark attack. Fish move so gracefuly underwater. You move like a ton of bricks. YOu have 0 chance of surviving when you are that deep in the ocean. (30-60 ft)

When I dive here in BC, I always think of global warming, and the chances that sharks have migrated up here.

It doesn't ruin my dives, I"m not scared, just aware.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#14 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 02 August 2004 - 05:39 AM

Agreed. Throwing aside the humourous deviation this thread has taken, a bit of caution is always a good thing when you're in the water. That's why I don't swim in murky ocean water with low visibility and I generally try to avoid swimming in the ocean at dusk.

#15 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 02 August 2004 - 06:12 AM

That's why I don't swim in murky ocean water with low visibility

You just described BC diving. The creepiest moment I ever had underwater was during a wreck dive off the coast of Nanaimo. The wreck started at 60 ft I think, and was located in green murkey waters.

At one point during the ascention, I was far enough from the surface to not get ample light and far enough from the wreck so I could not see ground or anything. I was trapped in "sea space".

Now that is creepy! Bring surrounded by murkey water all by yourself (met up with team at the ship). You can't help but look out into the great abyss and fear that something old and terrible will come forth and drag you away to it's lair.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size