• (3 Pages)
  • +

Episode III title revealed

#16 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:29 PM

I hate this title for one particular reason. I have seen TPM only once, AOTC several times, and still from watching the films I have only a vague idea of what "the Sith" is. It is because even though I consider myself a sort of a fan, I am not "geeky" enough to buy all crappy SW books and read them all in order to find out who the Sith are. So, will people wo are not SW fans and do not read novels realise what is "the Sit"h?

In OT by the third episode everyone knew what a Jedi is, therefore the title had enough pull and significance. Here, I do not think it means anything for most people.

I thought Lucas knew better, but it seems to me he is following the footsteps of Matrix films, where the third film made much less money that the first and second. I suppose most people, (just like me) were not interested enough to watch the third instalment. And Lucas also seems to be doing everything he could to get people disinterested. Hence the stupid, meaningless title.

#17 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Jul 25 2004, 07:29 PM)
I hate this title for one particular reason. I have seen TPM only once, AOTC several times, and still from watching the films I have only a vague idea of what "the Sith" is. It is because even though  I consider myself a sort of a fan, I am not "geeky" enough to buy all crappy SW books and read them all in order to find out who the Sith are. So, will people wo are not SW fans and do not read novels realise what is "the Sit"h?

Play Knights of the Old Republic. Seriously. It fills in a lot of background on both the Jedi and the Sith, and it's also an incredible game.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#18 Guest_some guy_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 July 2004 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (Helena @ Jul 25 2004, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Jul 25 2004, 07:29 PM)
I hate this title for one particular reason. I have seen TPM only once, AOTC several times, and still from watching the films I have only a vague idea of what "the Sith" is. It is because even though  I consider myself a sort of a fan, I am not "geeky" enough to buy all crappy SW books and read them all in order to find out who the Sith are. So, will people wo are not SW fans and do not read novels realise what is "the Sit"h?

Play Knights of the Old Republic. Seriously. It fills in a lot of background on both the Jedi and the Sith, and it's also an incredible game.

KOTOR? Is that for the X-Box

#19 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 July 2004 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (Helena @ Jul 25 2004, 03:01 PM)

Yup. If it were left up to the movies you would have no concept of what the Sith are. It's very cryptic... not explained at all.

KOTOR builds a nice back story of the Sith, but it's ruined by the prequels.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#20 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 25 July 2004 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Jul 25 2004, 12:18 AM)
Compare this to the OT

A new hope. There's a hope, it's new, its name is Luke. Any questions?

The empire strikes back. There's an empire and it is striking back.

Return of the Jedi. There's a Jedi, he's returning. The end.

Now is that so hard?

The first film was caled STAR WARS, and it had no episode title. If it had had one, like, in a real series, it would have been called THE DEATH STAR. No point in burndening it with this after-the-fact nonsense about Luke being "a new hope" for the flailing Jedi; that just makes no sense. Why would someone want to give that away n the title, when viewers generally enjoy finding out the story as it goes along?

THE EMPIRE STRIKE BACK is a silly title. Great movie, but the title is not like the title of an episode in a series, but rather like the title of a cheesy B movie. It's a title of the SON OF KONG or RETURN OF THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON variety.

RETURN OF THE JEDI is a great title. Lucas had meant for it to be called REVENGE OF THE JEDI, and later claimed that that title had been a ruse. Whatever; he's an amazing liar, like the guy caught in bed with another woman who says "it's not what it looks like." Anyway, I'm glad Star Wars fans brow-beat Lucas into changing the title.

As for the prequel titles, they are all bad. REVENGE OF THE SITH is not intrinsically bad, however; it's just bad in that "reloaded/rvolutions" kind of way. It's a title that is meant to sound like another title, to try to borrow some of its significance. WTF?
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#21 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jul 26 2004, 12:47 AM)
THE EMPIRE STRIKE BACK is a silly title.  Great movie, but the title is not like the title of an episode in a series, but rather like the title of a cheesy B movie.  It's a title of the SON OF KONG or RETURN OF THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON variety.

Actually, I agree about The Empire Strikes Back - it's a pretty dire title. But I feel exactly the same way about Revenge of the Sith - it sounds like a B-grade horror movie. 'The Sith, Part II: This Time It's Personal.' 'Revenge of the Killer Bikini Vampire Sith.'
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

#22 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:59 PM

"Revenge of the Sith"

.....is a horrible title... I'll tell you why!

1. It's unoriginal. It's just a continuation of the ripping and recycling of ideas from the previous Star Wars trilogy.

2. Revenge of the Sith..........nice 'cept..............what REVENGE????.....exactly when has it been detailed that the Sith are out for revenge against the Jedi....we are never told if the Sith have any personal motivation against the Jedi.....revenge for what..........'Darth Maul's death????? "Revenge of the Jedi' made sense because the Jedi were taking vengeance against the Emperor having wiped them out. REVENGE OF THE SITH makes no sense.

3. Lucas is one hell of a salesman and marketer. This title is just like those rumors about Episode II being dark, just a way to draw you guys in to seeing it. 'A sucker born every minute"

#23 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:09 PM

Revenge of the Nerds was taken already.

Didn't one of Darth M's only speaking lines say something like "as last we shall have our revenge?"

I'm not asking folks to believe this line would be memorable and prophetic. I don't know, and I'm caring less and less.

#24 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:33 PM

I wonder if when i get to the box office it will suddenly be changed to RETURN OF THE SITH.

De Ja Vous (sp)

???

asshole.

#25 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:45 PM

Lets see if I can remember anything from KOTOR (I never finished with my character, who was neutral leaning towards good, but had a nasty habit of collecting bounties on people's heads)... The Jedi preach that to become a Master, you have to remove yourself from all emotion. The Sith did not, and over the years the two schools of thought eventually got so pissed off at each other that they split apart. But the Sith were led by some of those wonderfully violent conquistadors, and in their worlds were tought to embrace anger as power, and be ruthless and hate Jedi and stuff. It was something sorta like that... But nothing to need revenge over. They went around blowing up worlds they didn't like over the whims of the "powerful Sith Lords." If anything, all of the innocent need some revenge.

But weren't the Clones the good guys in AOTC? I couldn't stand to watch more than two minutes of Anikin's acting, so I dunno about it at all.

If I were in that universe and able to use the Force, I'd have to start my own faction. Screw the Jedi and the Sith... I shall be the first... Umbra... or something...
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#26 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 27 July 2004 - 12:51 AM

The sith SHOULD be avenging that the Jedi whiped all of them out in the great hyper space war and the remaining sith went into hiding and only two ever emerged.

This could have been a cool way to divulge some of the history of star wars and telling us something, ya know, USEFUL might well have made Qui Gon less of a nothing character. I mean he's an old Jedi master, they're practically made of useful tidbits and helpful revelations with a small amount of force thrown in.

The sith would never seek to avenge one another because they'd kill a sith just as soon as the Jedi would. The lives of other sith, what pissed them of is that the Jedi denied them power.

Of course we don't learn anything about this at all.

The idea of the OT was: Hey, the sith are evil and they took over the republic.

That was well explained and proven.

The idea of the PT is that the sith wanted to take over the republic to avenge... something. And especially in this film I doubt that they'll explain that.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#27 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:32 AM

Maybe It's revenge for providing them with an ally called Annie.

#28 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:30 AM

KOTOR is set 4000 years before the movies; at that time there were a lot of Sith around as well as Jedi. I haven't read any of the books, but I think there was supposed to have been another war about 1000 years before the rise of the Empire, where the Jedi pretty much wiped out the Sith altogether. That is presumably what the Sith should be 'avenging' - but you can bet your life that it will either barely be mentioned in Ep III, or not at all.

#29 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 27 July 2004 - 08:35 AM

Where do the present-day (PT) sith come from? How did Palpatine get dark powers? His force lightning kicks ass, but if he's already mastered the dark side that makes it even more unbelievable that No one senses TPM within.

on that sw web page, they had an icon of Vader with Anikan's head. I guess that's what "before the helmet" refers to.

#30 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Being Chefelf's girlfriend has been an interest of mine for some time now. I also enjoy am interested in packing, unpacking, and organizing acres of cardboard boxes into a livable structure.

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (Slade @ Jul 27 2004, 02:45 AM)
If I were in that universe and able to use the Force, I'd have to start my own faction. Screw the Jedi and the Sith... I shall be the first... Umbra... or something...

What you should be is the first Umbro, and start a dynasty devoted to the wearing of silky checkered soccer shorts ...

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size