Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

No negative Jedi speak here :) Ongoing Reasons to Like ROTJ

#1 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:55 PM

Ongoing Reasons to Like Return of the Jedi:

In the opening crawl, we already know how it’ll end. This kind of exposition doesn’t waste any time: “When completed (DS2) this blah blah battle station, yawn, blah blah yeah yeah. Wow! I know right where this is going!

The opening Space sequence is great. It exhibits an old-school freshness I haven’t seen in a while. Sincerely.

“inform the commander Lord Vader’s shuttle has arrived.” Who is this guy?
Vanilla Ice? Great 80’s throwback!

“The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am.” Awww. Darth Vader has a heart.

For all the ages. When R2D2 quivers and shakes, unshakably saying “I’ll only give it to Jabba,” we see more earnest bravado than we’ll ever see again in a Star Wars movie.

3P0’s “dark ride” throught the cell area was fun. And the triage/torture droid’s mouth moves when he talks. that’s cool. Do trade fed droid’s mouth’s move? This guy was way behind that technology. But he was doing his job. (Arm swing of encouragement.)

Jabba’s Chucky Cheese show. It actually reminded me of Showbiz, but nobody remembers those.

There’s a bounty on Chewbacca? I never knew that! Wow! I’m learning all kinds of stuff!

He snuck in a grenade? Great! This new bounty hunter is a terrorist! This will be the next scene to be removed, so I’m glad I saw it!

Ok, there’s a disco beat in the background.
Look, Boba Fett is nodding in time.
He’s nodding to ME.

The frog zaps the spacebug. cool. Oh. He burped. Never mind.

Jabba is so cool, he has sleepovers. And folks just crash where they are! Man, that’s where I want to go to live it up!

Ok, that’s not a bounty hunter, it’s Leia! And she’s speaking in that Loud amplified voice in the dead of night so Han will relax. Then she takes her helmet off to surprise him. Even though he’s blind, so it won’t console him too much. Ok, so NOW she speaks in a whispered hush? Bitchin’!

I keep waiting for a commercial to take me away from all of this. But there are no commercials! I guess that's good.

In his mysterious Jedi cloak, Luke sounds a lot like David Cassady! Cool!

Oh man, those idiots! Somebody else who hasn’t heard of the Jedi Mind trick. HA! He didn’t see that one coming!

What? Is that Greedo’s cousin with the World Record fingernails? What’s going on? Please explain it to us in the next trilogy. I'll look forward to that! But you can bet it won't be as good a movie as this one is!

The Rancor eats Jabba’s guard, clothes, boots, helmet and all; but leaves behind a bone just large enough to aid Luke’s escape? That’s Great!

The only gate or large door that doesn’t move slowly in the Star Wars Universe is the one that happens to fall quickly and kill the Rancor? Cool!

I'm 25 minutes in, and I’m going to try to restrain myself so I can get through this movie tonight. I hope you’ll want to chime in with Your optimism!

#2 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 21 July 2004 - 11:19 PM

things to look out for (operating from memory - I haven't watched any of the OT for several years).

R2D2: [gets fried trying to bypass a security door]
Han: well, I suppose I can always hot wire this thing...

ah, a meaningful sacrifice...

Luke: you are my father, Anikan Skywalker
vader: that name has no meaning for me.
Luke: you've only forgotten
vader: No, I haven't. I just changed my name so everyone else would forget.

and as for
Jabba is so cool, he has sleepovers. And folks just crash where they are! Man, that’s where I want to go to live it up!

I always really liked that...

I always really liked the MAD magazine version of Return of the Jedi.

the Emporer: in time you will call me master.
Luke: I'll probably call you alot of things but master wont be one of them.

This post has been edited by barend: 21 July 2004 - 11:22 PM

#3 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2004 - 04:08 AM

What? Is that Greedo’s cousin with the World Record fingernails? What’s going on? Please explain it to us in the next trilogy. I'll look forward to that! But you can bet it won't be as good a movie as this one is!

That's his brother, Freedo. And those aren't fingernails, Rodian fingers are really long (just like that bounty hunter chick, Aurra Sing) and end in suction cups. (The latter is actually true.)

The Rancor eats Jabba’s guard, clothes, boots, helmet and all; but leaves behind a bone just large enough to aid Luke’s escape? That’s Great!

It's the Rancors play fetch bone. It's not from the Gamorrean.

The only gate or large door that doesn’t move slowly in the Star Wars Universe is the one that happens to fall quickly and kill the Rancor? Cool!

Luke physically hurls a rock on the button to close the door and then he uses the force to speed it up a bit. Far-fetched? Bollocks! biggrin.gif

Hope that clears things up. tongue.gif

#4 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 22 July 2004 - 04:36 AM

Uh oh - add HK 47 to Mike and Rory's Return of the Jedi apologists club.

"He seemed so normal to me. I had no idea he was like that." ohmy.gif

#5 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 22 July 2004 - 08:57 AM

HK-47 is ready to serve mea- I mean, master.

once again... great choice on nic and av!!!

#6 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:13 AM

God, not another ROTJ battle! sad.gif

For the record I sticking to the truce and avoiding this topic.

I made my case for this movie pretty clearly nearly a thousand times already. yell.gif

#7 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Jul 22 2004, 04:36 AM)
Uh oh - add HK 47 to Mike and Rory's Return of the Jedi apologists club.

"He seemed so normal to me.  I had no idea he was like that."  ohmy.gif

Damn, he's onto me! biggrin.gif And here I thought comedy relief was commonplace on this board. You are simply inviting me to come up with more horrible excuses Sir!

Duh, that's what Jabba wants the infiltrators to believe. Imagine Leias surprise when she found out that Jabbas alleged "sleepover" was actually a diabolically clever ambush! biggrin.gif

(edit: Cool! Thanks Barend!)

This post has been edited by HK 47: 22 July 2004 - 09:30 AM

#8 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 22 July 2004 - 10:37 AM

Damn, he's onto me!  And here I thought comedy relief was commonplace on this board. You are simply inviting me to come up with more horrible excuses Sir!

Don't worry. I was just kidding around too. As you were... cool.gif

PS - Mike, I don't plan on any more Return of the Jedi debates either. At ease. cool.gif

#9 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2004 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Jul 22 2004, 10:37 AM)
Don't worry. I was just kidding around too. As you were... cool.gif

PS - Mike, I don't plan on any more Return of the Jedi debates either. At ease. cool.gif

I know, my last post was just to make that clear to everyone. cool.gif

#10 User is offline   Rory Icon

• Supreme Master of all Lance & Eskimo and Chefelf Forums EVER
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 22 July 2004 - 02:30 PM

Wow, almost all of that was from the first 20 or so minutes of the film. And some of it was even from the Special Edition! And wait... were you making fun of the fact that rodians exist in the Star Wars Universe? And I'm pretty sure that bone didn't come from the Gamorrian... do you know something I dont? And why would anyone have heard of the jedi mind trick; isnt luke one of the only jedis still around?

I'm afraid Im not entirely convinced that ROTJ is the worst movie ever. And, its been a while. From everyones snide little comments, it seems you would all welcome another ROTJ discussion thread. So sure, lets do it.

#11 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 22 July 2004 - 08:36 PM

I think I've prooven my intelligencwe enough to get away with saying something stupid!

I like Return Of The Jedi, no matter what (SE not incl.)
just like i love LOTR no matter how "silly" and orc may look, thankyou very much JYAMG!!!

they just appeal to me!

and that's my dumb indevisnsible argument...
you can argue against it but I'll not budge!

#12 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 22 July 2004 - 08:37 PM

indevisnsible!

yeah, you heard right!!!
tongue.gif

#13 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 22 July 2004 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (Rory @ Jul 22 2004, 02:30 PM)
1. Wow, almost all of that was from the first 20 or so minutes of the film. And some of it was even from the Special Edition!

2. And wait... were you making fun of the fact that rodians exist in the Star Wars Universe?

3. And I'm pretty sure that bone didn't come from the Gamorrian... do you know something I dont?

4. And why would anyone have heard of the jedi mind trick; isnt luke one of the only jedis still around?

5. I'm afraid I'm not entirely convinced that ROTJ is the worst movie ever. And, its been a while. From everyones snide little comments, it seems you would all welcome another ROTJ discussion thread. So sure, lets do it.

1. Yep, 20 minutes and I couldn't keep up so I stopped. Of course bear in mind I'd seen Empire less than 24 hours prior. Clearly this is a different style of film from Empire, so rather than cynicism, I took a tounge in cheek approach.

(I'd liked the subtle humor in the prior films. Jedi might as well of had a laugh track, however.
So why not laugh along and look at the bright side? Hey. It's Me.)

Nothing I referred to was added especially for the Special Edition.

2. No, I'm not any more than everyone presumes Kid Anikan's Rodian friend is baby Greedo. I'm just following suit.

3. Did I ever imply that was a Gamorrian bone? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. Any flesh and blood creature that digests armor, leather, boots and horn isn't going to stop to clean a bone, no matter what it's eating. Giant Femur is what I decided to leave out of my post last night. I thought it got a little wordy. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it was his "Fetch" bone. That's even better.laugh.gif
Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot what a sad scene that was, with the trainer bawling. Ha Ha.

4. The point is, WE know the mind trick. Lucas makes me feel so smart, because I get to see some other idiot make a faux pas. This movie has me feeling good about myself from the get-go!

5. And it really is a good movie, not the worst ever you inferred. It just isn't the best Star Wars movie.
But of the lot (counting prequels here,) it's not bad.
And Snide comments can be fun, but I'm just trying to appreciate the film from a new vantage point. Didn't want to rip it, Jedi. I'm just happy to laugh along with Lucas for once. laugh.gif

#14 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:05 PM

The fact is, the final act of JEDI is fabulous. The opening act is decent enough with a couple cool moments (and I'm sure the rancor scene was MUCH better in 1983 than now, that's the one thing Lucas should've fixed in the SE but didn't). The shuttle scene with Vader is one of those cool moments though, with the blasting Imperial March in the background, it doesn't get much better in any of the movies than that. I for one thought the Yoda scene was very powerful and I didn't mind that he died, nor did I mind the revelation that Leia was Luke's sister because I really didn't think it was that out-of-line from what we had seen in EMPIRE. The Ewoks got kinda annoying, but I liked them, thought they were cool as the menacing little creatures at first, and then were good enough in battle.

So I'd say 3/4 the movie is vintage SW, and the other 1/4,is decent SW, with some bad acting from Ford, a bit of boredom in the Jabba sequence, and some silliness thrown in throughout the movie. But all-in-all, that's still a damn good movie.

#15 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:03 AM

I watched a little more last night, from the han rescue to the speeder bikes and really enjoyed it. Vintage Star Wars is always good.

Today while I was bike riding, I started zooming between this group of trees spaced 2 to 3 feet apart and reliving the scene. Thrilling.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size