Chefelf.com Night Life: The Chzo Mythos OST - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

The Chzo Mythos OST Now with added fancy!

#1 User is offline   Mr. Domino Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:55 PM

Oh, Chzo Mythos, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Actually lets not. Suffice to say I find the whole thing rather enjoyable. Enhanced greatly so by the music. I played through the Mythos a year and a half or so ago, rather enjoyed them, always somewhat intended to purchase the Special Editions, but never quite got round to it. Lo and behold, a friend tells me that Yahtzee's lost hold of the last plank of his sanity raft and let them all go out for free. Well, needless to say, I jumped on that particular opportunity, and am rather enjoying re-experiencing the games with commentary mode enabled.

This is sort of intended as a thank you to Yahtzee, both for making the games and for releasing the SE's for free. Then again, he probably won't entirely care, so I'm also putting this out to anyone else who might be interested. I've taken the soundtracks to all four games and recorded the midis through a (in my opinion much-higher quality) sound font, and rendered them as .mp3s, fully ID3'd and whatnot for you iTunes hounds, and I also scrounged about on DeviantArt and made a cover and a back insert for the album.

Hopefully someone will enjoy the new and (I think) improved renditions of Mark Lovegrove's fantastic scores (as well as the also-great music Yahtzee snitched for the first two installments), and hopefully I'm not breaking any kind of rules or anything by posting the files up here.

Link: http://www.filefront...zo%20Mythos.rar

NOTE: The files are all zipped up nice and tidy in a .rar file, so if you don't have it, you'll need WinRAR (conveniently enough found at http://www.rarlab.com/) to open them up.

NOTE THE 2ND: For the sensitive-eared, the opening saw buzz of Black Celebration (the final song from 7DaS) came out REALLY loud. I thought about changing it, but then decided it kind of worked, so I left it.

Enjoy!

#2 User is offline   Ghello Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:40 AM

I always hear about the music in these games and I can't remember a single tune. Nice of you to do this though.

#3 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:07 AM

Quite frankly it really wasn't very remarkable, but at least it was quite functional in 5DaS and 7DaS. Can't remember how it was in those other two games but I think I wasn't too impressed with m0ds' work.

And on another completely unrelated note:
Am I the only one appalled by the horrible quality of the download page for Trilby's Notes? Those scribbles are just too wrong... I can't help but imagine a thirty-six-year old man suffering from Down Syndrome reading them out while flailing his arms whenever I look at that page.

This post has been edited by Gobbler: 12 April 2010 - 07:08 AM

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#4 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

I was thinking thirty-five, but close enough I guess.

The first time I saw the "Send no back-up", my first thought was "No back up? He's going to lose those files!"

#5 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:49 PM

People have done this before you know, and it sounded the same then. I don't mean to belittle your efforts, but for Christ's sake, they hardly sound much different from the MIDIs. If you're going to rerecord them, then change the arrangement, or do it acoustically, anything just as long as it's not merely 'changing the sound font', whatever that is.

View PostGobbler, on 12 April 2010 - 12:07 PM, said:

Am I the only one appalled by the horrible quality of the download page for Trilby's Notes?

The irregular scribbles are supposed to indicate Trilby's disturbed state of mind. It's also difficult to write neatly in Paint with a mouse.

#6 User is offline   Mr. Domino Icon

• New Cop

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:42 PM

My apologies then. The entire reason I did this was because I couldn't find where anyone else had done it. I did consider rearranging at least some of the tracks beforehand, but I thought since I couldn't find another straight OST, that it would be best to convert the straight originals, at least at first. An arranged album would be interesting, though.

#7 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:58 AM

View PostAdamM, on 15 April 2010 - 01:49 AM, said:

The irregular scribbles are supposed to indicate Trilby's disturbed state of mind. It's also difficult to write neatly in Paint with a mouse.

Certainly, but that could never be an excuse. Even a disturbed mind can come up with better than "<-- Am I really seeing this?", a gentleman thief should know better than to abuse punctuation marks and a "games-as-art" developer should notice that this is sub-optimal for a game's exposé.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#8 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:30 AM

Trilby's handwriting is terrible, he must have broke his hand in-between games. And who the fuck is he sending the letters to? Is there some kind of trans-reality postal service I'm not aware of? And why is he sending rhetorical questions through the mail? Trilby really seems like somebody nobody would get along with, like somebody who's really lost their shit.
"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#9 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:58 AM

Well, that's sort of to be expected, is it not?

Or, alternatively, he's pretending to be crazy, because of some cunning plan.

#10 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:32 AM

Somebody has to review Yahtzee's game in ZP format. They just have to.

View PostThaluikhain, on 18 April 2010 - 09:58 PM, said:

Well, that's sort of to be expected, is it not?
Or, alternatively, he's pretending to be crazy, because of some cunning plan.

Rule #27 of adventuring: It's not a cunning plan if you get stabbed in the stomach and end up having to listen to the bad guy's winded monologue.
"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#11 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:07 PM

View PostDeucaon, on 13 May 2010 - 12:32 PM, said:

Somebody has to review Yahtzee's game in ZP format. They just have to.

And of course it won't be funny at all.

#12 User is offline   m0ds Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

Not bad at all, I'm always interested to see how people can/try to turn something designed specifically for MIDI into a "better sounding" MP3.

Some of the tracks sound a little better, some a little worse. The main title from Trilby's Note's really blares through in your MP3's, it definitely could have used some volume touch ups.

Thanks for sharing :)

#13 User is offline   m0ds Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:07 PM

Hello Mr. Domino! Well you and all the other people that keep MP3'ing the tunes up have inspired me. Here is a special version of the themes in a less MIDI sounding environment. If you'd like to put it on your youtube (if you have one) then please do. Not only do some of the tunes seem quite popular on youtube, I also have shit mobile internet which won't let me upload to YouTube. But I'd be greatful if someone might. Anyway, enjoy! :)

http://www.screen7.c...rilbysnotes.mp3

regards,
Mods

This post has been edited by m0ds: 19 June 2010 - 06:13 PM

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size