• +

Fucking E3 A rant

#1 User is offline   HackSlacka Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Beer.

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:39 PM

Yo.

I've just been watching a bunch of coverage from E3 on Gamespot. And I just have to ask: What the juicy fuck is going on? It seems that every single game is a either a sequel to a successfull last-year title or some other fucking dumbed down console bullshit.
Every game is like a fucking michael bay movie, watered down to appeal to a non-existant gamer mass, like ninety percent of these games feature some sort of grizzled space marine flinging his gun (penis extension) around like he's fucking spastic hiroshima kid playing baseball.

Not that i don't enjoy the occasional space shooter btw but this is just getting riddiculus... Once computer games were a nerd hobby for a fucking reason. Games had both escapist qualities and also they used to be INTELLIGENT. Adventure games, the good ones at least, had intelligent plots and funny dialog, system shock, fallout, baldurs' gate, the warcraft/starcraft games, the list goes fucking on and on. All of these titles featured good stories as well as outstanding gameplay.

All i'm saying is, the trend seems to be that the intellectual hobby of the last 20 years is dying out and is being drowned in shitty fucking bullshit games in order to appeal to stupid bastards and that is not a fucking good trend.

I'm just saying.

Sorry for ranting, dudes, had to vent this shit somewhere.

Now, let the traditional sillyness commence!

#2 User is offline   Ghello Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:19 AM

Silent Hill remake lookin good.

#3 User is offline   Spann Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (HackSlacka @ Jun 6 2009, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All i'm saying is, the trend seems to be that the intellectual hobby of the last 20 years is dying out and is being drowned in shitty fucking bullshit games in order to appeal to stupid bastards and that is not a fucking good trend.

You've only just noticed? Unfortunately, the majority of the population are "stupid bastards", and the current economic situation means that companies are less likely to take on risky new IPs, when they could spend the same money (Or probably less) On, say, updating a sports title for next year and guarantee a lot more money from it.

Intelligent games still exist, it's just the vast majority of the game-playing population don't care - Okami, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Broken Sword, Zack and Wiki, for example, are all wonderfully intelligent games that all reviewed very well but are at best cult classics because the gaming public as a majority prefers instant gratification as opposed to solving problems, and there's just not enough money to risk it when Alien Space Death Marine 8 will sell eight hundred thousand special editions at £50 a go. Don't forget, E3 isn't just for you and me, it's for developers, investors and other industry bods to which the business is that and that only - business. If you'd put a load of money into a company only to have them say "We're making this. It's really good, but people won't buy it", how would you feel?

Personally, I cannot wait for The Last Guardian, and I read that the new Prof. Layton is out soon, as is a re-jig of Monkey Island and a new Monkey Island project made by Telltale. There's plenty of good, clever stuff coming, you just have to look for it, like you always have.
"There comes a time in every person's life when they should learn to shut up. It is called 'birth'."

-The League Against Tedium

#4 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:14 PM

Silent Hill remake looks...risky.

Come on, let it die already. Just because that pot head Yamaoka still want to fiddle around with his synthesisers doesn't mean we need to "kill god" again.

But then again, Climax did some things right in Origins.

The development team was made up of more than 55 team members, with a supporting network of more than 90 artists.

Wow. 90 artists?

Edit: I'm still interested in Alan Wake.

This post has been edited by Game Over: 06 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

#5 User is offline   Ghello Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

Heavy Rain also lookin good, QTE seems to be major part of the game and presented stylishly enough to make it look new still.

#6 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (Ghello @ Jun 7 2009, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heavy Rain also lookin good, QTE seems to be major part of the game and presented stylishly enough to make it look new still.

The game seems to focus on the social aspects which is what horror developers should be focusing on instead of supernatural children and psychotic killers and demons. Real horror is hard to do. Still, I sense an Indigo Prophesy.

#7 User is offline   Jeremy Clarkson Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:52 PM

this is all very interesting but have you heard of the man who made a cow fly 150 feet?

#8 User is offline   Ghello Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (Game Over @ Jun 6 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The game seems to focus on the social aspects which is what horror developers should be focusing on instead of supernatural children and psychotic killers and demons. Real horror is hard to do. Still, I sense an Indigo Prophesy.

Regardless of a shit plot twist I still enjoyed the game like I did Condemned 2.

#9 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

So, who was the man who made the cow fly?

QUOTE (Ghello @ Jun 7 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regardless of a shit plot twist I still enjoyed the game like I did Condemned 2.

Indigo prophesies are acceptable as long as they don't take themselve seriously.

#10 User is offline   Solar Powered Walri Icon

• New Cop

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:10 PM

I actually liked E3 this year. Better than the shitpile that was last year (I'm looking at you, Sony). Anyways, yes, I'm certainly excited for Heavy Rain + The Last Guardian as any sane person should be. Pretty amazing motion control from both MS and Sony, I was surprised.

Also, Wii Vitality Sensor... er... Wii Fit Plus... uh, I mean SMG2.
Autonomous machete for hands
Judge and warden hide behind masks

#11 User is offline   Jeremy Clarkson Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (Game Over @ Jun 8 2009, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, who was the man who made the cow fly?

Some mental Yorkshi- hold on "mental", that's redundant they're all mental, let me start again.

Some Yorkshireman had put some cows in a trebuchet and launed them a few hundred feet, was well funny, he says next he plans to throw "A Sheep, Goat, Fern Britain, and a pikey" doing us all a favour there then, I guess they have to have something up there, the news hasn't yet reached them as they have no phones or televisions that Thatcher is not longer in Office or that it is infact the year 2009

#12 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

I've seen a lot of people lamenting the same thing over the past year or so Slacka. VGCats for example.

It is in these dark times you should turn to the independent developers, for they bring hope to the industry. Huzzah!

#13 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Jeremy Clarkson @ Jun 11 2009, 04:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some mental Yorkshi- hold on "mental", that's redundant they're all mental, let me start again.

Some Yorkshireman had put some cows in a trebuchet and launed them a few hundred feet, was well funny, he says next he plans to throw "A Sheep, Goat, Fern Britain, and a pikey" doing us all a favour there then, I guess they have to have something up there, the news hasn't yet reached them as they have no phones or televisions that Thatcher is not longer in Office or that it is infact the year 2009

I really want to see a Pickey launched into space. Chavs too.
Tories will take back the goverment from Gorgoom Broom and shit on it some more. At least the Parliment channel is entertaining. They show cartoons 24/7.

QUOTE (AdamM @ Jun 16 2009, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm loading my gun.

#14 User is offline   Ghello Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:30 AM

Never realized how unfunny webcomics are.

#15 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:36 AM

I still like this one for some reason.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size