Chefelf.com Night Life: Games that might convince Yahtzee some genres are not all bad - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Games that might convince Yahtzee some genres are not all bad

#16 User is offline   Nosferatu5 Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:17 PM

You guys really don't get the point of the ZP reviews do ya?

Anyway, Pathologic is awesome. It's a very deep, philosophical but extremely obscure Russian game. Look it up.

#17 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Mar 11 2009, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll come back later.

No wait!
Don't go...
We need you...

Okay, amaze me. What's the point of ZP videos?

I have a question about JRPG's. That's Japenese Role Playing Game, right? Well I strangely enough don't feel like I'm playing a role when the character is nothing like me or my fantasy self and all interaction with NPC's is the same conversation, no matter how many times I play through.

It seems less like playing a role and more like... reading a book. Except I have to make the book myself. And then I can go do extra sidequests/chapters if I want. And then the credits is labelled 'About the author'. The only things I'm really in control of is the details, like time, equipment and specifics on spells.

No, no thankyou. Give me a european or american RPG anyday, where I can actually play a role.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#18 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:51 AM

Rrrright, as if you really could do that in any computer game. That's what Pen & Paper is for.

But please tell me if I'm wrong there, I'd like to see those "good" RPGs, seriously.

All I can think of is stuff like Fallout, Oblivion, Albion, Stalker and other games where you always end up as "the hero" and never really have that much of a choice. Conversations can usually be played through in good, evil or neutral mode, but ultimately your actions don't really affect anything important. Freedom of choice boils down to "do the quest or don't" and "befriend these guys or don't".

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#19 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (Nosferatu5 @ Mar 10 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys really don't get the point of the ZP reviews do ya?

When Yahtzee states on his blog that he's trying to break out of his gaming rut a little bit to see if he's missing anything in genres he generally blows off, then it's not necessarily about his ZP videos, is it?
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#20 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Mar 11 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When Yahtzee states on his blog that he's trying to break out of his gaming rut a little bit to see if he's missing anything in genres he generally blows off, then it's not necessarily about his ZP videos, is it?

Makes sense.

#21 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:19 AM

Let's see if I can summarise what I had down...

Games are about giving you entertainment, filling out a boyish (or girlish) fantasy or providing a challenge. I always found JRPG's don't do any of that for me.

Entertainment - It's repetitive combat + random encounters = painful etc.
Boyish Fantasy - It's not me, or who I wish I was, or who I want to control.
Challenge - GRIND FTW
One more thing, you don't really have to strategically position fighters. Tank at top, mage at bottom.

Whereas I play something like Baldur's Gate which I'm currently playing through...
Entertainment - Small fights get repetitive but the encounters aren't random and can be avoided
Boyish Fantasy - Cool, I design my own character
Challenge - Need to use strategy, rolls make fights more random.
Got to actually direct your people, can maneouver them to some extent.

Also, I'll mention replayability. How many different teams can you use in a JRPG? You usually only pick the best.

Just a note: I would have used Neverwinter Nights, but the first one is team-unfriendly and too slow for me to get into and the second one has a crappy user interface.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#22 User is offline   razym Icon

• New Cop

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

I think Persona 3: FES and Persona 4 are the best JRPGs ever made for the PS2 (and so do many reviewers), and that says a lot (there were a LOT in the... 10 years or so that a PS2 has had decent to great games)

We all know that ZP really doesn't "do" RPGs too much, so this may be a good chance to actually see it happen.

Yahtzee, you hear me? Review them!

This post has been edited by razym: 29 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

#23 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:23 AM

He doesn't hear you, and even if he did, he wouldn't care anyway.

#24 User is offline   Evil_Digimon Icon

• New Cop

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:41 AM

I highly doubt any game would convince him to like a genre, just maybe that particular game.

For JRPGs, I could only honestly recommend Chrono Trigger, mostly because it makes fun of other JRPG cliches and some characters are Genre Savvy now and then.

As for fighting games, probably only Guilty Gear XX, since from all the fighting games I've played, this one is the only one that rewards skill over mashing. Well... there's Virtua Fighter too, but I always found it boring... Scarlet Weather Rhapsody has an interesting fighting system, but I doubt Yahtzee would even consider touching it.

I can't recommend any sports game other than Tiny Toon Allstars.

This post has been edited by Evil_Digimon: 30 April 2009 - 04:42 AM

#25 User is offline   Maggot4Life Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:long walks on the beach, sunsets, everything happy and sane...<br /><br />(and Death Metal, hitting things, drowning things, burning things, yelling, jumping, eating drugged scotch-fingers)

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Mar 11 2009, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rrrright, as if you really could do that in any computer game. That's what Pen & Paper is for.

But please tell me if I'm wrong there, I'd like to see those "good" RPGs, seriously.

All I can think of is stuff like Fallout, Oblivion, Albion, Stalker and other games where you always end up as "the hero" and never really have that much of a choice. Conversations can usually be played through in good, evil or neutral mode, but ultimately your actions don't really affect anything important. Freedom of choice boils down to "do the quest or don't" and "befriend these guys or don't".

What about Fable? I actually haven't played alot of fable but from what I've seen and heard, it is very thorough in its karma system thing.
I pooped a hammer. I pooped a cornish game hen.

#26 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:54 AM

No, it's very basic and retarded. Killing undead, giving everything to charity etc. gives you goody points, while going on a killing spree or vandalizing stuff gives you evil points and that's it. You can be a ruthless, selfish bastard during your missions and still be praised as a saint if you regularly woo the citizens with your farting prowess, as Yahtzee said.

#27 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:29 AM

On the strategic part of things, I have a soft spot for SRPGs (which tend to be in the JRPG field). I think what draws me in is the fact that every play through can be a unique experience if you favor to vary your tactics. There are multiple ways to play. Adding this bit of illusion of freedom can be liberating.

Persona 3/4 were quite interesting, though. Even though it is fairly linear, it doesn't feel like your stuck doing anything a particular way.

On Fable, David is correct. It can be fun in a quirky way but both tites suffer from the fact that it's very generic. No matter what choices you make or what you do, your goal is always the same and your characters actually progresses to the same template.

#28 User is offline   Friend Icon

• New Cop

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

Persona are linear, very japanese and half dating sim. But they manage to tell an actual, proper story which trumps most modern videogames something fierce.

The sad part is that they're twice as long as your average human lifespan, so I doubt Zero Punctuation is going to be touching them anytime soon.

#29 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:53 AM

Why do some RPGs fall in the line of 'either be a God loving saint or be a complete asshole'?

Can someone tell me what the Persona series is about? I am afraid to go to Wikipedia.
Is it about teenagers, emos and suicide? Maybe I'll gather enough courage to watch a playthrough.

#30 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (Game Over @ May 2 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do some RPGs fall in the line of 'either be a God loving saint or be a complete asshole'?

Can someone tell me what the Persona series is about? I am afraid to go to Wikipedia.
Is it about teenagers, emos and suicide? Maybe I'll gather enough courage to watch a playthrough.

Hah... hahhaa... oh wow. Uh... yeah actually it is.

That's just a surface assessment. It's got some neat game concepts in it and the characters actually develop some personality.

This post has been edited by reiner: 02 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size