• Group: Moderators

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:21 AM

As opposed to the usual eleven?

Well, congratulations.

#3 User is offline   Dan_N_GameZ Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Red Dwarf, AGS, programming in VB, Yahtzee etc.

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:59 AM

Yeah, well, this year he had to compete with a game with pirates, and a female pirate as the main character, so...
"Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back, in one o' dose TOP SECRET LAB-MOTORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, an EVIL PRINCE, occasion'ly employed as a part-time THEATRICAL CRITICIZER set to woikin' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys!" (Prologue, Thing-Fish)

Quoting other forumers in your signature seems to be the latest craze around here...

My Last.FM profile.

#4 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:43 AM

I could see how that would be daunting. How can you compete with someone named Nellie Cootalot?

I'll admit the competition was tough this year. I haven't played most of the games that won (the full list is at http://www.americang...AGS_Awards_2007 ) but I have played part of A Tale of Two Kingdoms, which is excellent.

I'm a little skeptical about Trilby winning for best NPC. He really got kind of a rough treatment in 6DAS. Giving him the award for best player character in the Art of Theft makes more sense.

EDIT: I don't have time to look into it right now, but it looks like your count might be off. He won more than 4 awards.

This post has been edited by Ninja Duck: 18 February 2008 - 03:46 AM

#5 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

What? Again? It's like no-one else is even trying with AGS. Yahtzee releases a game and he wins the award for that year. It's a whole goddamn year!

#6 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (Ninja Duck @ Feb 18 2008, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: I don't have time to look into it right now, but it looks like your count might be off. He won more than 4 awards.

I count four awards. What else do you think he won?

While the award ceremony thing was neat, there sure was a lot of Yahtzee bashing going on. Almost every time they had Trilby walk across the stage he said something like, "You're giving me an award for a 1213 rehash? Wow you people are stupid!"

I would like the AGS community to point out a better non-adventure game made with AGS. I don't think they can, and that's not my fanboyism (or my beta-tester) talking, it's just the truth.
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#7 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Feb 18 2008, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I count four awards. What else do you think he won?

While the award ceremony thing was neat, there sure was a lot of Yahtzee bashing going on. Almost every time they had Trilby walk across the stage he said something like, "You're giving me an award for a 1213 rehash? Wow you people are stupid!"

I would like the AGS community to point out a better non-adventure game made with AGS. I don't think they can, and that's not my fanboyism (or my beta-tester) talking, it's just the truth.

Sorry, I was looking at the nominations.

I haven't looked at the latest non-adventure AGS games, but the ones from a few years ago were... bad. I think GFW is arguably better than Art of Theft, but it's hard to compare because they're different genres. This is a test to see if Yahtzee reads this: On the GFW page, the link to download the game from HOTU is broken.

#8 User is offline   AGS SSH Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:22 PM

Just so you're aware, I'm the guy who made up the ceremony. Many thanks to Yahtzee (and all the other game makers) for sending me the Trilby character.

QUOTE (AdamM @ Feb 18 2008, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What? Again? It's like no-one else is even trying with AGS. Yahtzee releases a game and he wins the award for that year. It's a whole goddamn year!

Errr, this year he didn't win Best Game, and in fact over the 7 years of the awards he's won that accolade only twice, so I'm not sure what you mean by "the award" and that no-one else tried. Certainly he's dominated the non-adventure category recently, and deservedly so, but funnily enough most people use AGS for making adventures.

But Yahtzee is the only guy to get nominations every single year of the awards, and although he didn't win anything in the inaugural awards in 2001, he's undoubtedly a dominating factor in the Awards. Even more amazing, since he still uses a version of AGS from 2004...

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Feb 18 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He only said that line once, for Best Programming. Surely, reusing an existing game engine is not as great a programming task as writing a new one. Last year it was decided that non-adventures were only eligible for the non-adventure award, but this year I allowed them in the Programming category, too. I also wrote another line of dialogue in the ceremony for the winner of another game when I thought that there would have been a better winner. If I really had anything against Yahtzee, I'd have faked the results. Also, I don't think that kind of line is out of character for Trilby. But if any game authors object to my use of their characters in this way, they can contact me and I'll edit the ceremony.

As for the lifetime achievement award that was mentioned in another thread a while back, I think he should have won it by now too, but I don't make those decisions, although I did choose the committee that did. However, I also think that everyone who HAS won it has also been deserving recipients.

This post has been edited by AGS SSH: 18 February 2008 - 03:29 PM

#9 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

It was just sort of the feeling I got, since there does seem to be a cloud of resentment towards Yahtzee on the AGS forums. At the same time, there are quite a few there who seem to want Yahtzee to be an active member of that community again.

Also, I have to agree with SSH on the whole "nobody else is trying" thing. A Tale of Two Kingdoms swept a bunch of the awards, as did the Cootalot game. I didn't play the latter, but AToTK was pretty well done, I would say better than 6 Days.

As far as the "lifetime achievement" thing, I'm the one who brought that up last year. The whole thing reminds me of Paul Giamatti. He seems like a shoe-in for an Oscar nomination every time he's in something other than a comedy/sci-fi/action comic relief and then the Academy snubs him. Maybe the committee has some sort of reason for not giving him the award yet but I haven't seen it. The only other recipient of the award I've ever heard of is Dave Gilbert.

Give the guy the award already!
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#10 User is offline   Zeeky H. Bomb Icon

• New Cop

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

Well, congrats on what he did win.

Random Observations:

- What, no P3N1S award this year?

- I am shocked, SHOCKED that DaCabe wasn't nominated for best PC (and Ben Jordan was??). It was a crushing defeat for 22nd century bureaucrats everywhere.

- ATOTK had really good character art but I think it may have lost out because the tailor looked a whole lot like Keanu Reeves. Not to mention the main character's resemblance to John Kerry.

This post has been edited by Zeeky H. Bomb: 18 February 2008 - 07:38 PM

Signatures are overrated.

#11 User is offline   m0ds Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

Yahtzee, I'll try & be as brief as you are on these forums,

wl dn!

This post has been edited by m0ds: 18 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

#12 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:30 PM

m0ds, how many of the nominations for best music did you compose?

I didn't think anything Trilby said was terribly out of character, although the dialogue seemed more suited to Yahtzee than to Trilby.

I read the nominations thread in the AGS forums and I noticed no one nominated Yahtzee's games. So I guess the fanboyism has died off a little there. But yeah, that may have been Trilby's last shot at getting best player character and it's too bad he didn't get it, for whatever reason.

#13 User is offline   AGS SSH Icon

• New Cop

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:57 AM

QUOTE (Ninja Duck @ Feb 19 2008, 02:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read the nominations thread in the AGS forums and I noticed no one nominated Yahtzee's games.

That's a For Your Consideration thread, not a nomination thread. Nominations were done through a voting page, not on the forums.

#14 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:47 AM

Yeah I have to say m0ds good job on the music for AoT I just sat and listened to the hide out music for ages. Reminded me a lot of Midgar in FF7 for some reason.
QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#15 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:00 AM

Wow. Way the go Yahtzee.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size