Chefelf.com Night Life: My left overs - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

My left overs What do you I should do?

#1 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:24 PM

Well I got what I wanted with excess spending and a huge struggle. I brought this board to take off the processors and some memory. I worked out it would be a lot cheaper to buy this for the two Xeons 3.06 GHz 1 mb cache processors than it is to buy them second hand or refurbished without even the heatsinks locally.

<image removed>

What I am left with:
After the swap over I put in the two 2.4 GHz Xeon processors with only 512 k cache memory which worked on this board as the bus speed can be lowered to 400 MHz.

<image removed>

I took out 2*512 memory modules for the other board so 3 gigabytes of memory remaining.

Two Zalman heatsinks I imported for a lot of money which proved to be a waste of time as I got that different socket faulty board. I think they are the same measurement though.

<image removed>

One Xeon 2.6 GHz processor with 512 k cache. I don't know if it would be worth selling it or using it as spares to test on other boards.

<image removed>

Replaced the missing scrapped off component on the top of the board:

My biggest worry: Is that the keyboard didn't work at first until I had some help to repair it. There was no power going to the keyboard. I found near the port that a component got scrapped off. The keyboard worked and lit up when I shorted a screwdriver's head across the contacts. I was going to send it back as I had 8 out of 14 days left but it is going to cost me more and the seller might want to swap it or not because I took off the 3.06 GHz Xeons. Also all the other boards listed were the models down compared to this one. As it was only that I think it was worth it thanks to some help of what I call a genuine friend I might have made a mistake and caused more damage to start off with. It could be a flexible fuse which makes sense as some boards won't work with keyboards when they plugged in whilst running. I really need to take a soldering course.

Now I don't know if that would devalue the board in price if people saw that?

This post has been edited by Slade: 28 November 2007 - 07:53 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed images at user's request.

#2 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:53 PM

What a pointless place for me to post in. I think I am going to pull down my last two here because they appear not to be discussionable.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 03 October 2007 - 01:53 PM

#3 User is offline   Spann Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

What a pointless place for me to post in. I think I am going to pull down my last two here because they appear not to be discussionable.

I can honestly say that hardly any of us know what you're talking about.
"There comes a time in every person's life when they should learn to shut up. It is called 'birth'."

-The League Against Tedium

#4 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

Not even from the pictures I posted?

I am talking about some left over equipment.

What do you think I should do with it?

Like do you think it is worth selling or keeping?

Anyway I get the hint.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 03 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

#5 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:32 PM

Wow, that's a lot of RAM... and TWO fans, huh? You're playing with power!

I don't think you should sell the equipment just yet, as it still sounds like it could be useful. You should follow your advice and try to see if you can take up some kind of soldering class, just to see how much more you can experiment with the equipment?

If worse comes to worse, you could always sell the gold pins that are inside the chips (if memory serves me right -- my father does this with spare parts he gets with his PC repair business)!
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#6 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:15 PM

I think I will just sell it. There will be faster second hand bundles out in the future. I don't mind paying extra taxes to have them imported. Better than being ripped of with high street trendies. Of course I will test it fully when I get another power supply but it will decrease in value for the longer I keep it.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 29 October 2007 - 09:16 PM

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size