Page 1 of 1

Donnie Darko ... vs. looktothesky

#1 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 February 2004 - 12:06 AM

I don't get this movie.

Now, before all you "culture inclined" people go ahead and bash me for my lack of knowledge, my "disrespect" for "good""films", and how "I'm not with it", please put all your moronic babblings aside and please explain this movie to me.

Who exactly was Frank? What was all that time travel stuff? It was linked at the end, but how? And the crazy old lady? and the fat chinese chick? How does--

I don't get it at all.

Please keep in mind that I am not a moronic ditz, and I DO know good films when I see them. Just don't call me a moron on terms of this, or I'll really look down on you.

How can a movie like this have such a cult following? Why? How? Huh?

wink.gif

Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by looktothesky: 28 February 2004 - 12:07 AM

PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#2 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 28 February 2004 - 04:35 PM

Hey don't worry no one on the board's gonna insult you lol, a lot of people didn't get it. I liked it a lot, don't think it's the fabulous masterpiece many people make it out to be, but did like it. Ok haven't seen it in a while but I'll try to explain it. The old lady, Grandma Death (real name Roberta Sparrow) had written a book on exactly what Donnie was going through. Both were able to see the future, so to speak, through the little glob things coming out of people's chests (which represented their path). This gave Donnie the power to build a time machine (so long as he went along everyone's set path, the path set for them by God as he said during his discussion with the teacher).

As for Frank, you know, I never even really thought about that as much as some of the other stuff, but I can't really answer that. He was most likely the guy who ran over the girlfriend since he looked the same, got shot in the eye and was bleeding in the eye when he took the mask off in the movie theater. But then if he was dead how did that happen, how did Frank get the power to go back in time, if he was just some dumb drunk kid, and if only Donnie and Grandma Death knew about the time travel thing? Not to mention the great handicap that Frank was dead. So that I'll let someone else explain, because I'm not sure exactly who Frank was, I think you just have to accept it, even if it seems to contradict itself.

The fat chinese girl didn't have any true importance to the story. She was just one of the people that Donnie had touched (she had a crush on him as shown in her diaries or something). That was one of the messages I think. The psychiatrist says to him about if the world ended, there would only be "you and your memories, the people you touched" (may not have gotten the quote right there, but she says it somewhere I knew), and the chinese girl represented a person Donnie unknowingly touched in his life. At least that's how I saw it. Now I'll try to let a more qualified person explain it, cause I didn't do a great job, but don't worry, you're definitely not the only one who didn't understand it, and I agree with you basically on the Frank part, I don't see how he got the ability to travel through time.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size