Mana Bar interview with a lot of noise in the background

#1 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:47 AM

http://geeksofgaming.net/?p=488

Now I only wish I'd understood a word of what Yug and Yahtzee said.

#2 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

It wasn't very smart to conduct the interview in the middle of what apparently sounds like a Cairo bazaar. In case you were being literal about not being able to understand a word I've paraphrased it for you.

What was the idea behind the Mana Bar?

Yug: It was my fault. I used to throw a lot of parties, and sometimes I'd throw up a projector screen with a Wii, or 360 with Guitar Hero, and I found that these games which were pick-up-and-play were more socially acceptable to people who didn't actually play games; and so from there I stubbornly persisted with this bar idea and dragged all my friends into it.

Yahtzee: He came to me and I shot him down in flames.

Yug: Yes, but persistence is a virtue-

Yahtzee: Unless you're, like, a murderer.

Yug: It's taken a couple of years, most of which was back-and-forth between the government in order to get a licence.

Yahtzee: The bar is actually part of a government building.

How much input do you individually have?

Yahtzee: Yug works behind the bar.

Yug: We all have different skill sets. Shay, for example, has background in hospitality and cocktail design, so he looks after the menu, staff and stock. Pras has background in risk and finance management so he looks after all the business side of things. Yahtzee has background being the world famous Yahtzee, so he tends to have involvement in specific events.

Yahtzee: MCing and stuff.

Yug: And I work behind the bar and also do marketing and PR, Facebook and Twitter and the website, handle all the games and the publishers and the events.

Yahtzee: He's the people person.

Yahtzee tweeted that "we had a great opening weekend, let's see what happens six weeks later", and the place is still doing pretty well, so...

Yahtzee: Well hush my mouth. I thought you would have games and drinking in the same place, and the games would get in the way of the drinking, and vice versa, so you're alienating both crowds, and people would get drunk and smash everything because it's The Valley and that's apparently 'the law'. But I have been surprised; I guess it's mainly because you get nerds in here and they're a passive lot (who drink a lot).

Yug: What Yahtzee is trying to say in a nutshell is that he was wrong.

Yahtzee: I would never say those words.

----

Yahtzee: We're not allowed to say 'rapist'.

Yug: No no, say 'rapist' all you want. Spit it out.

Yahtzee: Rapist.

Yug: There you are.

Yahtzee: I am a rapist.

Yug: Ah, that's Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation not Yahtzee from the Mana Bar.

#3 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:03 AM

That's very helpful, much obliged. Indeed I was literal about not understanding it.

#4 User is offline   Ultravisitor Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

Better question. Why does the geeksofgaming.net site look like a 15 year old girls attempt at customizing her myspace?

This post has been edited by Ultravisitor: 24 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

I finally got my website up. Im pretty stoaked right about now.

#5 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:15 AM

Even better question: Since your interests are web design, why not show off your own skills a little at this point?

And that's not to say that the geeksofgaming site does not look bad indeed.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#6 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

I've always contended that it is a fallacy to claim that someone's criticism is invalid because their skills are poor, Gobbler, so whether or not Ultra is actually any good at designing websites is irrelevant.

Of course it doesn't stop him from genuinely being wrong. What's your problem, the fact that it's magenta? Grow up.

#7 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

View PostAdamM, on 26 June 2010 - 07:08 PM, said:

I've always contended that it is a fallacy to claim that someone's criticism is invalid because their skills are poor, Gobbler, so whether or not Ultra is actually any good at designing websites is irrelevant.

Quite so. And since criticizing something just for the heck of it and without even addressing the designer in charge is such a boring task, we might as well turn our attention to something a little closer at hand.

Not that I'm out for bashing someone right now, I'm just idly typing things as I'm waiting for some time to pass.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size