Chefelf.com Night Life: Todays Topic of Discussion - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Todays Topic of Discussion

#16 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 19 June 2004 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (Laura @ Jun 19 2004, 07:58 AM)
Conversely, does my TV have a soul? I have a big TV.

laugh.gif

Louis makes a kill.

I was removing my dog's food bowls outside for ants were swarming them. So I ant-proofed a new bowl of food by putting the food bowl in a larger bowl with 1/2" of water. but I still smelled the stench of death... how obvious once I really scanned the patio. The (23% I'd say) remains of a squirrel. The squirrels must taunt my puppy boy as he watches them eat his food. Louis hadn't made a kill in well over a year that I was aware of. Back to topic: I'm not touching that! Thousands (I'm guessing) of maggots were writhing in pure delight I'm certain. Yuck. So I used a metal dust pan and scooped it up into a trash bag. then hosed off the patio, washed my hands. Got my dog some fresh water and ran errands as planned.

where do maggots come from? can they travel fast once a target is detected? Yuck. I didn't mind spraying the ants or those little critters away like ashes from the barbeque grill.

but a few weeks ago I was lying in bed reading and a moth came and landed on my nose. I was careful to close him in my hand, get up, go to the back door and release him. Even though he could have possibly ruined my new suit, and it was a hassle for me, I felt a connection, and wished to preserve his life. I guess we're all selective on where we draw the line. it had as much right to live as those maggots.

one more thing. In Genesis it's pretty clear from the get-go that humans are meant to be vegetarians. So I'm wondering: Breeding animals for slaughter only, is that any way comparable to cloning humans or stem cell research?

#17 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 19 June 2004 - 05:29 PM

I ate a bug.

#18 User is offline   Rory Icon

• Supreme Master of all Lance & Eskimo and Chefelf Forums EVER
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 19 June 2004 - 05:31 PM

Only joking. I don't want to argue that topic with you again, Rory. I think differently from you and the authors of the animal psychology literature you've been reading. We would never change each other's opinions on that.

Well, it has been my experience that people rarely change each other's opinions in arguements anyway; that isn't why people argue. I generally argue for a few reasons:
1. To change the opinions of neutral parties (say those who haven't already formed a strong opinion on the topic at hand).
2. For Fun.
3. To place a kernal of doubt in the mind of the opposing party.

Maybe a mirror test could determine this.

Just so we are all clear, a mirror test probably couldn't determine whether or not a bug has a soul, merely whether or not a bug has a concept of self.

Furthermore, I highly doubt a bug has a concept of self, but that has very little to do with whether it has a soul. You'll have to consult your local clergy man to find that out (LOL).

But yes, I agknowledge this is a joke on your part, and I will be on the look out for things you say that I can poke light fun of... So Watch Out You Silly Goose!

#19 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 19 June 2004 - 07:46 PM

Moths are pretty. Most people don't like to kill pretty things.
"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#20 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 19 June 2004 - 08:22 PM

Moths are grey or white, and boring. Butterflies are pretty.

#21 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 19 June 2004 - 11:31 PM

I generally argue for a few reasons:
1. To change the opinions of neutral parties (say those who haven't already formed a strong opinion on the topic at hand).
2. For Fun.
3. To place a kernal of doubt in the mind of the opposing party.

They sound like pretty good reasons to me.

But yes, I agknowledge this is a joke on your part, and I will be on the look out for things you say that I can poke light fun of... So Watch Out You Silly Goose!

Fair enough. I don't blame you. smile.gif

#22 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 June 2004 - 05:10 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jun 19 2004, 02:21 PM)
one more thing. In Genesis it's pretty clear from the get-go that humans are meant to be vegetarians. So I'm wondering: Breeding animals for slaughter only, is that any way comparable to cloning humans or stem cell research?

That would be assuming that the bible would be some sort of...bible. Just because the soul is an inherently religious concept, it's so poorly/vaugly defined that the atheist can believe they have one, and thus the bible isn't quite the best source to go by.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#23 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 20 June 2004 - 11:28 AM

Some moths are pretty, the one I encountered was pale.

once I was sketching in the woods and had a butterfly land on me. then another. I kept drawing. then a third. 5 minutes with the three, 20 minutes with at least one. it was pretty cool.

I told a friend about this topic, animals needing a mirror to prove a sense of self. He's like an uncle to my beagle, and his take: (I wrote it down for forum's sake)

"Damn right he has a sense of self. If you step on him he knows it's *him*." tongue.gif

#24 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 20 June 2004 - 01:56 PM

Moths are grey or white, and boring. Butterflies are pretty.

I have a grey and white cat, and she's pretty. Why can't grey and white moths also be pretty?

Earlier I posted about the spider in the shower. Well the spider army is definately coming for me. Last night I was on the phone with a friend, and got up to let a kitty out and this great big giant spider ran into my room. I ran away screaming, ofcourse. It's not like I could smash him or anything. He would have jumped on me and eaten me. I tried waking up my little brother to smish him with a shoe but he wouldn't get up and yelled at me to "leave him the hell alone." sad.gif I ended up sleeping on the couch. That thing is still in my room somewhere. I'm curled up in my computer chair with my feet off the ground at all times, and I've brought 6 cats into my room to guard me if he decides to comes out. Fucking spiders. :angry:
"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#25 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 20 June 2004 - 04:34 PM

You're not alone, Amber. I especially hate when I'm just wandering along, I look down, and there's a spider on me. :angry:

No sudden movements, and all that. dry.gif

This post has been edited by Mist: 20 June 2004 - 04:34 PM

I'm comfortably numb.

Jimbo: We had to kill them to keep them from going extinct.

#26 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:57 PM

He's just waiting for me to let my guard down and fall asleep. I'm letting all the cats inside and sleeping on the couch again tonight. dry.gif

#27 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 20 June 2004 - 11:47 PM

I still wanna know where maggots come from!

#28 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2004 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (Amber-Nicole @ Jun 18 2004, 02:32 PM)
Last night, there was a super big spider that managed to find his way into my bath tub. He was going to eat me! Brown recluse. One of the disadvantages of living in Florida. I made my little brother smish it with a shoe. happy.gif
But for the rest of the night, I felt all paranoid. I just knew a spider army was coming for me, and everytime something brushed up against me I would freak out. I didn't even take my usual 30 minute shower. The water felt like spiders! ~shudders~ Hate those things.

Here you go Amber-Nicole biggrin.gif

Eliminating an infestation of brown recluse spiders involves two basic principles:

1. altering the environment in and around a building to make it less attractive to spiders; and

2. finding and destroying as many spiders as possible.

The following measures can be used to control all spiders, including the brown recluse.

1. Routine, thorough house cleaning is the best way to eliminate spiders and discourage their return. A vacuum cleaner or broom effectively removes spiders, webs, and egg sacs.

2. Spiders prefer quiet, undisturbed areas such as closets, garages, basements, and attics. Reducing clutter in these areas makes them less attractive to spiders.

3. Large numbers of spiders often congregate outdoors around the perimeter of structures. Migration indoors can be reduced by moving firewood, building materials, and debris away from the foundation. Shrubs, vines and tree limbs should be clipped back from the side of the building.

4. Install tight-fitting window screens and door sweeps to exclude spiders and other insects. Inspect and clean behind outdoor window shutters.

5. Consider installing yellow or sodium vapor light bulbs at outside entrances. These lights are less attractive than mercury vapor, fluorescent, or incandescent bulbs to night-flying insects which, in turn, attract spiders.

6. To further reduce spider entry from outdoors, insecticides can be applied as a "barrier treatment" around the base of the foundation. Pay particular attention to door thresholds, garage and crawl space entrances, including foundation vents. Sevin (carbaryl), Ficam (bendiocarb), Dursban (chlorpyrifos), or any of the synthetic pyrethroids are effective, but may need to be reapplied periodically throughout the summer. Wettable powder or microencapsulated, "slow-release" formulations are most effective. Longer-lasting liquid formulations of Dursban can be purchased by homeowners through some lawn and garden shops.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#29 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2004 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jun 20 2004, 11:47 PM)
I still wanna know where maggots come from!

And just for you Despondant biggrin.gif

Years ago, people believed that maggots formed by themselves in rotting organic matter (the theory of "spontaneous generation"). This theory was disproved over 100 years ago. Maggots hatch from eggs, laid by flies (most flies lay eggs, but some flies deposit live larvae, without a visible egg stage). The flies lay the eggs on rotting organic matter because they are attracted by it, and their larvae will eat it. Note that some flies lay their eggs on other foodstuffs, including fresh fruits and vegetables, or even on other insects that their maggots will parasitize.

This delectible information comes from the following site. All you need to know about maggots.

Maggots
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#30 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 21 June 2004 - 05:23 AM

I had a run-in with a kamikaze moth once. Seriously, the thing was HUGE. and it kept dive-bombing me. It just wouldn't go away!!!

I think I inhaled a gnat yesterday.

And as for the topic:
"I'm not touching that..."

Good idea, stay away from it, it might be contagious.
Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size