Todays Topic of Discussion

#1 User is offline   A Mighty Pirate Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 18 June 2004 - 03:22 AM

"I'm not touching that..."

Discuss
Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism.

#2 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:12 AM

I hate bugs, so I'm going to assume that "that" is bugs.

Seriously, I don't know what it is, but touching bugs weirds me out. I cannot let them crawl on me, and if one is on me, I'm not the type to pick it off and toss it, I HAVE to flick it. This way, I reduce the amount of Heccubus-touching-bug time, and get it the bloody hell away from me.

#3 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:37 AM

In Korea, a lot of people eat bugs. I actually tried some myself once because I'm open to new things. I was very good about it. I mean, these things... they looked disgusting. They smelled disgusting.

After being all open-minded about trying them, I was disappointed to find that they tasted disgusting too.

#4 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 June 2004 - 11:10 AM

Don't you hate it when things turn out like that?
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#5 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 18 June 2004 - 11:27 AM

Yeah, I just thought if so many people eat these things then they might be a really pleasant surprise. Like in Hong Kong, apparently there is this fruit they eat and it smells unbelievably terrible .... but it's actually quite delicious. So I thought, well this is going to be quite interesting. But no, it was awful. Very disappointing.

#6 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2004 - 11:53 AM

When someone leaves a half-eaten something around (not in packaging), and asks me to either clean it up or pass it to them, lately I'm too freaked out to touch or even look at it. I do it anyways, sometimes, but I feel so sick afterwards...
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#7 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 18 June 2004 - 02:22 PM

Before I'd fully moved in, I was cleaning under my patio with a hose and broom, and this bug crawled out. Man, this thing was the size of my fist. I'm not kidding. I let him do his thing and retreat at his own pace because the way I figure, anything THAT big must have a soul.

#8 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 18 June 2004 - 02:32 PM

Last night, there was a super big spider that managed to find his way into my bath tub. He was going to eat me! Brown recluse. One of the disadvantages of living in Florida. I made my little brother smish it with a shoe. happy.gif
But for the rest of the night, I felt all paranoid. I just knew a spider army was coming for me, and everytime something brushed up against me I would freak out. I didn't even take my usual 30 minute shower. The water felt like spiders! ~shudders~ Hate those things.
"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#9 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 18 June 2004 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Jun 18 2004, 03:37 PM)
In Korea, a lot of people eat bugs. I actually tried some myself once because I'm open to new things. I was very good about it. I mean, these things... they looked disgusting. They smelled disgusting.

After being all open-minded about trying them, I was disappointed to find that they tasted disgusting too.

Sounds like a macabre parody of my life, minus the bug-eating. And the going to Korea. So probably only ideologicaly similar then...

Before I'd fully moved in, I was cleaning under my patio with a hose and broom, and this bug crawled out. Man, this thing was the size of my fist. I'm not kidding. I let him do his thing and retreat at his own pace because the way I figure, anything THAT big must have a soul.

I have that problem with cockchafers. They're giant suicidal beetles that llike light as much as moths. Only they're as big as small golf balls, and they actually try and batter down windows. You want to squash them, but the soul thing creeps in...

Damn bugs.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#10 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:25 PM

At night, bugs swarm the door and don't go away until they're driven away at dawn like little endoskeletal vampires. When I open the door to let the cat in or out, which he invariably wants to do at least ones per night, at least one bug invariably flies or crawls in before him.

It's okay, because the other cat eats them. sad.gif

#11 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (A Mighty Pirate @ Jun 18 2004, 03:22 AM)
"I'm not touching that..."

"I'm not wearing gloves..."

This post has been edited by Jane Sherwood: 18 June 2004 - 08:33 PM

Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#12 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 19 June 2004 - 04:02 AM

I'm not touching that

It's dirty.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#13 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2004 - 07:55 AM

I remember once in my old place, a windosill came loose, and I found a mouse's skeleton inside. I thought it was cool, but mum disagreed.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#14 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 19 June 2004 - 07:58 AM

I don't know how you go about judging whether something has a soul by its size. Post transformation, did the kids of Honey I Shrunk The fame have no soul? Did those kids from Ranger Rick who used to shrink down to microscopic size to see your everyday backyard in a whole new way have no soul? Conversely, does my TV have a soul? I have a big TV. A soul is not a scientific concept, but that doesn't mean you apply no logic whatsoever to it. That's no way to live. Do bugs have souls or not? If you don't believe they do, then the big ones don't, either. These are insects that do not differ from each other significantly in the way they work or behave or "think" (such as they can be said to think).

But I wouldn't attempt to kill a giant bug either, at least not by normal means, because it would be really messy. Plus, I would be too busy high-tailin' it out of there. Bugs are creepy, soulless beings.

#15 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 19 June 2004 - 09:32 AM

I don't know how you go about judging whether something has a soul by its size.

Maybe a mirror test could determine this. cool.gif

Only joking. I don't want to argue that topic with you again, Rory. I think differently from you and the authors of the animal psychology literature you've been reading. We would never change each other's opinions on that.

On the whole concept of killing bugs, for me, the problem is that killing bugs is so time consuming - especially when there's an army of them. When you're trying to kill a squadron of mosquitoes or hold back a coachroach ground assault, it can be very taxing on your time. By the time you've vanquished as many as you can, forced the others to retreat and have done away with the dead, a whole half hour of your life could be lost. That irritates me.

Why can't these things just stay outside? People belong in houses, ants belong in elaborate tunnels under the ground and mosquitoes and coachroaches belong in hell.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size