• Last »

James Bond Forum Express your 007 viewpoints

#1 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:49 AM

Welcome guys!

Regarding the Man with the Golden Gun. I agree that it is the worst of the Bond flicks. It has a couple of great moments though.

1. Christopher Lee was very good as Scaramanga the multiple-nippled villain. {how soon before we get a bond girl with those traits tongue.gif}

2. Maude Adams death was pretty shocking in a way. Unexpected

3. M's response to James Bond saying "why would any one want to pay a a million dollars to kill me?" is priceless!!!!

4. Roger Moore's facial exp​ression when he accidentaly swallows the bullet fragment is hilarious. The sound he makes is also great!

5. Goodnight, while annoying, is undeniable hot in that
bikini in the end. rolleyes.gif

#2 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:08 AM

The Man with the Golden Gun was indeed the worst of the bond flicks - I was horrified at how truly bad that film was. In fact, Die Another Day looks good by comparison. No Bond film should ever end in a side-show alley type cardboard labyrinth with silly seventies disco lights and a dumb pointless shoot-out.

And the midget! GRRRRRRRRRRRR..... he got under my nerves in no small way.

However, I love your list of highlights from the film.

5. Goodnight, while annoying, is undeniable hot in that
bikini in the end. 

Oh... yes, she was indeed.

As for favourite Bond girls, I used to think Ursula Andress.... I loved the way her character was entirely gratuitous and served no function in terms of the plot - but just prettied up the picture. And wow, I think every guy on this forum must have been blown away when we saw her the first time.

However, my favourite Bond girl was Aki from You Only Live Twice. The reason why is because she had the best personality. She was really lively and she had a great sense of humour - a lot of spark (which most Bond girls don't have). And she was really a good girl for Bond to have at his side - she got him out of a lot of tight spots. I was really upset that they killed her off... and they way she was killed, choking on that poison in bed was really horrible. It put me off seeing that film again, even though otherwise, it could have been my favourite Sean Connery Bond film after From Russia With Love.

It served no purpose to kill her off and it made the movie far darker than it should have been. Not very nice, Roahl Dahl, not very nice at all.

I'd also like to say that Michelle Yeoh was excellent - and pretty damn cute. She was so cool, for a while I thought that Tomorrow Never Dies was a good movie.

But then I asked myself "Apart from Michelle Yeoh, what's the rest of the movie like?" After that, I realised that Tomorrow Never Dies was in fact, pretty bad.

#3 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:32 AM

The Man with the Golden Gun was indeed the worst of the bond flicks - I was horrified at how truly bad that film was. In fact, Die Another Day looks good by comparison. No Bond film should ever end in a side-show alley type cardboard labyrinth with silly seventies disco lights and a dumb pointless shoot-out

I myself have not {and will not} see Die Another Day. I'll take your word for it.

Michelle Yeoh, was the best thing about Tomorrow Never Dies. She totally outshined Teri Hatcher's boring character.

As for favourite Bond girls, I used to think Ursula Andress.... I loved the way her character was entirely gratuitous and served no function in terms of the plot - but just prettied up the picture. And wow, I think every guy on this forum must have been blown away when we saw her the first time.

I dunno, for some reason ursula Andress never blew me away that much in Dr,. No. Don't get me wrong, she is hot a hell. I just never felt like she was the hottest Bond girl. I'll watch Dr. No again, and see if my opinion changes. Besides it's a good excuse to see her fabulous bod, again biggrin.gif

The Man with the Golden Gun was indeed the worst of the bond flicks - I was horrified at how truly bad that film was. In fact, Die Another Day looks good by comparison. No Bond film should ever end in a side-show alley type cardboard labyrinth with silly seventies disco lights and a dumb pointless shoot-out.

I think the worse part of it is that it was so obvious that Bond pretended to be the wax figure. You saw it coming a mile away.

Another problem was that it was followed by the boring and pointless scenes involving Bond trying to detatch the solar cell.

#4 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:35 AM

The premise of TOMORROW NEVER DIES, that a media tycoon is using his influence to control the world, is pretty good if yo're completely unaware that this sort of this is actually going on right now already. And if you're unaware that the tycoons are in the pocket of the government. What made Hearst so interesting was that he was not. A more ineresting premise might have been that this guy stopped doing hat the government was telling him to do, and Bond had to find out why. Anyway, sophomoric premise, faggoty supervillain and really lame process of discovery notwithstanding (Bond figures out in the first act who the bad guy is, and rather han just shoot him, per his license, he just turns off some lights and then lets all sorts of people die in due time), it has the best Bond girl ever. The Bond movies have always needed to go somewhere new, rather than repeat the formula of GOLDFINGER over and over again, and having a partner was a good move. A prequel episode where Bond teams up with Sean Bean's 006 could possibly be the best Bond film ever.

You guys are nuts. MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN is awful, yes, but it's so bad it's good. Bringing back the sheriff from LIVE AND LET DIE for cheap cornball comic relief was a sure sign the series was deperate. The Roger Moore Bond films are definitely the worst, but they hit their all-time low with MOONRAKER. Jaws gets a girlfriend! Your highlight moments, Mike, in MWtGG, have no equivalent in MOONRAKER. It is bad all the way through.

What I especially hate about MOONRAKER is how once you've killed Jaws, they send endless pairs of guys with the lasers, and you have to do all this detailed stuff, like taking the keycard and setting the flight path, then climbing the ladder to open the blast doors so the shuttle can take off. All with your back to laser-wielding goons! On 00, this is a damned hard mission, so hard it isn't fun. That you have to complete it on 00 to open the Egyptian, a downright cheeseball scenario by the way, and a missed opportunity in multiplayer (the map isn't quite right), only adds to the burn.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#5 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:41 AM

I must watch Moonraker one day. I really must. It sounds so terrible and I so badly want to see this for myself. Terribly bad movies are fantastic.

#6 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:44 AM

You guys are nuts. MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN is awful, yes, but it's so bad it's good. Bringing back the sheriff from LIVE AND LET DIE for cheap cornball comic relief was a sure sign the series was deperate. The Roger Moore Bond films are definitely the worst, but they hit their all-time low with MOONRAKER. Jaws gets a girlfriend! Your highlight moments, Mike, in MWtGG, have no equivalent in MOONRAKER. It is bad all the way through.

Moonraker probably the second worst, if you do not include the Brosnan bonds.

Moonraker is still entertaining in terms of action and adventure.

Agree with you on Jaws girlfriend thing.

Your highlight moments, Mike, in MWtGG, have no equivalent in MOONRAKER. It is bad all the way through.
[/QUOTE]

Ah, civilian and that eloquent manner of his. If I said the sky was blue, civilian would argue that it is red just for the sake or arguing.

I mean think about it, civilian is on a soapbox here trying to argue which is worse movie, Moonraker or The man with the Golden Gun????

I am content to say that both are pretty bad. And that civilians points and mine are valid and true. Civilian has decided to turn this into his own little pissing contest. OK you win civ rolleyes.gif ohmy.gif

#7 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:44 AM

And -

A prequel episode where Bond teams up with Sean Bean's 006 could possibly be the best Bond film ever.

Hear hear. And it's probably not too late to make one. Sean Bean will be fine - he's in great physical shape. The real question is whether Pierce Brosnan would be up to it.

#8 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:46 AM

The Man with the Golden Gun is probably my least favourite of all the movies, but A View to a Kill comes a close second. Roger Moore was just way too old for the role at that point, and it made the romantic scenes quite unpleasant to watch. Moonraker is another pretty awful one, but it does contain the immortal line "I think he's trying for re-entry."

I find I prefer the earlier Bond films in general (although I did like both of Dalton's). One that I wasn't so keen on was Goldfinger, even though it's generally considered to be one of the best of the series. It just annoyed me how little Bond actually did - he was captured early on, spent most of the movie trying unsuccessfully to escape, and couldn't even defuse a bomb at the end. (Though the timer stopping on '007' was admittedly a nice touch.)

One thing that always annoyed me about the films was the way Felix Leiter was treated. In the books he was quite an important character, and as Bond's only good friend (at least, the only one who didn't end up dead) he helped to give the character a more human side. In the films, though, he generally had about 2 lines per movie and was played by a different actor every time. Licence to Kill was the only movie where Leiter played an important role, and that consisted mainly of being eaten by a shark!
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#9 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:49 AM

. A prequel episode where Bond teams up with Sean Bean's 006 could possibly be the best Bond film ever.

This is actually one of the failures of Goldeneye.

A rogue 00 agent is a HUGE plot point in a bond film. Sort of the "evil twin" scenario. It's surprising that Bond films never went down this path.

Bond going against a former friend and 00 agent should be enough of a plot to hold the movie on it's own. But for some reason Goldeney never really emphasized this point or exploited it sufficiently. It got lost with all the rest of the boring plot and silly characters.

#10 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:49 AM

I mean think about it, civilian is on a soapbox here trying to argue which is worse movie, Moonraker or The man with the Golden Gun????

I am content to say that both are pretty bad. And that civilians points and mine are valid and true. Civilian has decided to turn this into his own little pissing contest. OK you win civ 

Whoa, Mike. You're over-reacting a bit there. That comment was just a bit of fun. Civilian's not standing on a soap box.

Soap boxes are only used for special occasions - mostly involving films by George Lucas. No-one would get on a soap box about 007. And I think you'll probably find, as this new and exciting thread continues, that there will probably be a lot less arguments here than there were in the Star Wars forum...

... unless some foolhardy person decides to argue that Die Another Day was good.

#11 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:52 AM

The Man with the Golden Gun is probably my least favourite of all the movies, but A View to a Kill comes a close second. Roger Moore was just way too old for the role at that point, and it made the romantic scenes quite unpleasant to watch. Moonraker is another pretty awful one, but it does contain the immortal line "I think he's trying for re-entry

I think it is pretty universal that Moonraker, The Man with the Golden Gun & View to a Kill are the worst of the bonds. Although, IMO I conclude all of the Brosnan bonds as the worst.

View to a Kill, is actually kind of amusing in a way. Any movie that has Christopher Walken as a villain can't be all that bad {save, Batman Returns :yuck: }

The Genetic Superman plot with Zorin was kind of intriguing in a way. Too bad they didn;t present it properly.

#12 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:54 AM

... unless some foolhardy person decides to argue that Die Another Day was good.

I can barely find someone who has seen the bloody tripe. laugh.gif

#13 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Jun 16 2004, 03:49 PM)

So just what was so bad about it? I heard it was really awful but I haven't seen it myself.

BTW, here's a link to a very long (and very funny) review of Moonraker at the Agony Booth, which basically goes through the film scene by scene and rips it to pieces.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#14 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:03 AM

Bond going against a former friend and 00 agent should be enough of a plot to hold the movie on it's own. But for some reason Goldeney never really emphasized this point or exploited it sufficiently. It got lost with all the rest of the boring plot and silly characters.

I quite liked Goldeneye when I first saw it. It was a lot of fun, with some stunning leading ladies and the incomparable Sean Bean. But it does get lost in its boring plot a bit, I agree. I thought the middle of the movie was actually quite slow for a Bond film. There's a long stretch there with no action.

The main problem for me was the 'romantic' scenes they tried near the end when the girl is asking Bond how come he's so cold... he says it's what keeps him alive... she says its what keeps him alone.... and naturally, they sleep together...

- the problem with this was that Bond doesn't work as a character with depth. He's meant to be emotionally shallow. That's how the character started out, and it was the trend in a lot of movies. It just seemed to work better...

or maybe I just didn't like the corny music they used in these scenes. These scenes were just a bit too nauseating for my liking.

But initially, I really enjoyed Goldeneye a lot. And the problem might be that I've seen it too much. And despite what everyone says, I really quite like Pierce Brosnan in the Bond role. I think he plays it with a lot of good-natured humour and flair. It's just a shame that the films he is in are getting worse and worse, through no fault of his own (and yes, I know it was the same for poor Timothy Dalton).

It is also a great shame that Tomorrow Never Dies wasn't a better film for the simple fact that they really wasted the wonderful Michelle Yeoh in that film.

Maybe they could bring her back in the next Bond installment (and get someone in the story/script department who actually knows something about making entertaining movies).

#15 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:06 AM

What do you guys think about the possibility of Hugh Jackman playing Bond? I have heard rumors about it?

IMO, it could be a well deserved breath of life. But only if the quality of the movies is improved.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size