Chefelf.com Night Life: Flooding - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Flooding Yay or Nay to drivel?

Poll: You like spam / flooding?

You like spam / flooding?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 December 2003 - 02:54 PM

Do you guys appreciate flooding / spamming (mass amounts of messages from the same 1 person)? I don't mind it, since I do it, but I wanted to know if it bothered you guys...
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#2 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 December 2003 - 03:42 PM

Looking at your profile, seems you post 5.6 messages a day. That is the high average (typical for everyone else is between one and three), but I wouldn't call it "spamming." There's a guy in this forum (we know who I mean) posts 20 messages a day, mostly of the one-sentence variety. That's what I call "spamming." When I click on "View new posts," and it seems every forum has something new to look at, I'm disappointed to find page after page of two-word sentences or smileys with nothing worth reading or replying to. It's just a time killer.

Disappointed, I say. Not miffed. So like you, I don't mind it. It does, however, bother me.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#3 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 December 2003 - 11:16 PM

I misplaced my pants, but that was on purpose.

Flooding is ok if 1) you're not using the word as colloquial for DDoS, and 2) you've got something meaningful to say.

There's rarely an excuse for spamming. Spamming as in:

#4 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 December 2003 - 11:19 PM

LOL my PANTZ r not sxy enuf 4 m3!

#5 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2003 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (Ninja Duck @ Dec 3 2003, 11:19 PM)
LOL my PANTZ r not sxy enuf 4 m3!

U SUXX0RZ!!
*LOL*!!!!!!!!!!!

Like that?
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#6 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2003 - 08:14 AM

w00t?

#7 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 04 December 2003 - 09:31 AM

GRRRRR woof breath-breath scratch at door

#8 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2003 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Dec 4 2003, 09:31 AM)
GRRRRR woof breath-breath scratch at door

Cats are better IMO. biggrin.gif Even though mine are twice as annoying as any dog.
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#9 User is offline   sinister grinner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 04 December 2003 - 10:13 AM

i have a feeling civilian #2 doesn't like my posting a lot. i just come here every night for 20 minutes tops and reply to any forums i want to.
Thirteen and a half.
Twelve jurors,
one judge,
and half a chance.

#10 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:10 PM

I try to keep it to a minimum, but sometimes I have a LOT of time to kill.

#11 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2003 - 07:49 PM

I'm happy to read posts that are entertaining. Some two word responses are all that is needed to make something funny. I don't see a lot of point in just responding for the sake of responding. Sometimes people feel like they have a lot to say on a given day and others they may be happy to just read responses without feeling they need to contribute anything. Posters like Despondant and Vwing are great for content. Their responses are generally well thought out and constitute a different form of entertainment. It really takes all kinds on a forum and I think when you sign on you also need to expect that also.

It's apparent that there are a number of people who know each other socially on this forum and as such are inclined to have personal jokes and conversations enter into the strings. Personally I don't mind reading this either as it does help in getting to know some of the people. In other instances you find that there are people that you didn't previously know that are just around the corner. For example, barend and I are in pretty close proximity it appears in Sydney and have likely attended the same places. As such, we're able to include in conversation things that will not really be relevant to a lot of people on this forum. This is also something I like about this forum.

The only thing I find annoying about any forum are those people that sign in just to spout hate. Thus far these seem to be ignored here which I think is great. Again, signing on to a public foruim you have to expect it, but it's the only thing I really find annoying about prolific posting.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#12 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 04 December 2003 - 09:31 PM

i just like forums when people mention my name! smile.gif

#13 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2003 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Dec 4 2003, 09:31 PM)
i just like forums when people mention my name! smile.gif

I was getting that impression and felt it my duty to assist in fullfilling your forum requirements cool.gif
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#14 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2003 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Supes @ Dec 4 2003, 07:49 PM)
I'm happy to read posts that are entertaining. Some two word responses are all that is needed to make something funny. I don't see a lot of point in just responding for the sake of responding. Sometimes people feel like they have a lot to say on a given day and others they may be happy to just read responses without feeling they need to contribute anything. Posters like Despondant and Vwing are great for content. Their responses are generally well thought out and constitute a different form of entertainment. It really takes all kinds on a forum and I think when you sign on you also need to expect that also.

It's apparent that there are a number of people who know each other socially on this forum and as such are inclined to have personal jokes and conversations enter into the strings. Personally I don't mind reading this either as it does help in getting to know some of the people. In other instances you find that there are people that you didn't previously know that are just around the corner. For example, barend and I are in pretty close proximity it appears in Sydney and have likely attended the same places. As such, we're able to include in conversation things that will not really be relevant to a lot of people on this forum. This is also something I like about this forum.

The only thing I find annoying about any forum are those people that sign in just to spout hate. Thus far these seem to be ignored here which I think is great. Again, signing on to a public foruim you have to expect it, but it's the only thing I really find annoying about prolific posting.

I agree with you completely. Posts with 'points' to them (although to some seem long and rambling) are chockful of interesting content. Since it is a forum afterall, you need content to keep the topics going, instead of one word / sentence responses which will kill off the discussion completely.

laugh.gif
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size