• +
  • Last »

Saw

#31 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Jun 21 2004, 08:25 AM)
Ah Heccubus, this movie is the kind of thing that would only appeal to a small portion of the population.  It's pretty safe to assume that most people wouldn't like this kind of film.  Don't worry though - nobody's going to punch anyone in the face.

No it isn't, you can't assume that the majority of the population won't like something just because you don't. That's the same as saying it's safe to assume that the majority of the population doesn't like action movies or romantic comedies just because I don't.

#32 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:08 AM

No, I think that's different. I will not back down on my statement. I don't have market research and opinion polls at my disposal but I am pretty confident that the majority of people out there DON'T like sadistic, disturbing horror films.

Maybe I'm wrong - but when I think about all the people I know, I can't think of one person who'd be lining up to see that movie, Heccubus.

There are some genres that have a large net audience. Extreme sadistic horror is not one of them. These are the movies that a handful of teenage males will watch - and they will probably have the theatre pretty much to themselves.

Re: romantic comedies. They have their own net audience too. For the most part, unless they are any good, they generally appeal to the female audience.

Genres have large net audiences. Some genres have small net audiences. Extreme sadistic horror falls into the latter category.

#33 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:10 AM

And I should add - no, I'm not going to get into an argument with you about this, Heccubus (or you either, Rory, if you should somehow come to read this).

#34 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:12 AM

I find it funny that people focused on the snatch/Lock Stock sentence of my post, as it was added mostly as an afterthought. Like an edit that got done before I hit the post button.

The point I was trying to make is that I don't see why everybody makes such a big deal about Pulp Fiction being this brilliant movie. I thought the plot was boring, and the film contained unlikeable characters and passable dialouge. Could somebody please explain what was so special about the movie?
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#35 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:17 AM

And on the topic of horror movies, I think its more of an aquired taste. I've never liked them much, and most people I know wouldn't go out of their way to see one. I don't plan on seeing Dawn of the Dead, not because it's scary, but from what I've heard of it it sounds too disgusting. Then again, I've recently(that being overt the last two years or so)been getting into horror in other genres. Reading some of Poe and Lovecrafts works was quite enjoyable, and I still hold Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem to be the greatest computer game ever created.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#36 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:47 AM

There's a simple reason why people go to movies like this and it is summed up in this dialogue.

"Dude that movie was scary."

"You're a pussy."

"Ok then you go see it"

"Fine"

Most people are only watchign crap like this to prove that they're not wussies as I pointed out in my previous post. This is not a useful purpose for a movie. I'll post a new thread for pulp fiction.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#37 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:05 AM

I'm starting to get extremely annoyed now. Chefelf, if you don't mind, just delete this fucking post.
Seriously, if you don't like something like this, why would you even bother replying? Hence forward, I'll keep things like this to myself. No sense in ruining the message board for everyone.

#38 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:20 AM

You all seem to be gang banging on this particular movie, why?

It's only a movie, you have to look at it like that. This movie is being released to further push the enveloppe for movie violence (or an attempt to at least), not to create some "Artful story" or make you think about philisophical or intelligent views. It's just a movie that you can go out and either see it for the story (or lack thereof) or the violence, or curiosity or whatever with friends then talk about it afterwards.

This film is not going after awards, or going to pull at heart strings.

If you're going to complain about the whole "horror genre" go make another thread. This thread was made about a new movie coming out (which HAPPENS to be a horror title) that I will consider seeing, not for people to whine about so-called "tastes" in movies, and how others somehow "lack it".

The messenger is attacked, as always...
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#39 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:22 AM

Ok, we're sorry, Heccubus. But still, it goes that if you're going to recommend a movie to other people, a horror movie isn't the best genre. Okay, as you were.

#40 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Jun 24 2004, 10:22 AM)
Ok, we're sorry, Heccubus. But still, it goes that if you're going to recommend a movie to other people, a horror movie isn't the best genre. Okay, as you were.

I'm curious. What is the best genre then?
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#41 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:41 AM

There's no best genres but there are certain genres that are less restrictive in their appeal. Good epics or comedies generally have a far wider appeal. Horror is too unpalpable for many people.

#42 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (looktothesky @ Jun 24 2004, 10:20 AM)
You all seem to be gang banging on this particular movie, why?

It's only a movie, you have to look at it like that. This movie is being released to further push the enveloppe for movie violence (or an attempt to at least), not to create some "Artful story" or make you think about philisophical or intelligent views. It's just a movie that you can go out and either see it for the story (or lack thereof) or the violence, or curiosity or whatever with friends then talk about it afterwards.

This film is not going after awards, or going to pull at heart strings.

If you're going to complain about the whole "horror genre" go make another thread. This thread was made about a new movie coming out (which HAPPENS to be a horror title) that I will consider seeing, not for people to whine about so-called "tastes" in movies, and how others somehow "lack it".

The messenger is attacked, as always...

That's exactly what I got to thinking after my last post. Word for word. Thank you.

(especially the bit about starting another thread)

#43 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:40 PM

heccubus omg u suck and your taste sucks and no one in the whole wide universe will watch that movie, save you. And you will be in the theatre all by yourself and then you will die in the theatre cause the movie will be so bad and yeah..
blink.gif
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#44 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:02 PM

(*TWITCH*)

I suddenly wish to do violence...lots of it.

I'll watch it with you, Heccubus...er...that is unless you live somewhere very far away, in which case, just pretend I'm watching it with you.

This post has been edited by Jane Sherwood: 24 June 2004 - 02:04 PM

Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#45 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:08 PM

Jordan - *Insert extremely rude comment involving an iron rod, and what, exactly, you may do with it involving the placing of said rod in your rectum in a rather violent fashion* I'm hoping that "omg" was you pretending to be a dumb teenager, otherwise my respect for you has practically vanished.

Jane - I live in Southern Ontario, and I'm betting that you don't live anywhere near there. Despite the fact, however, it was a very kind offer.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size