Chefelf.com Night Life: the Star Wars Giant Jukebox - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

the Star Wars Giant Jukebox settling the score

#1 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 23 November 2003 - 10:54 PM

Seeing R2D2 playing bass on the Simpsons tonight (1 or 2 second gag) was great, but on the other hand it brought to mind the sw crew forming a band in cartoon form, like the archies or the brady kids.

In the spirit of goodness, I suggest that some of William's music was pretty good. (I won't argue it's validity as classical music.) Sure, I can't remember how anikan's theme goes. And I've expressed a dislike for the "kid-friendly" numbers. But ever since I heard the medal ceremony theme from sw as the background music for a the price is right "hall of something something" themed showcase I recognized the elevated worth of Williams' music. (and then there's the Meco disco hit from 1977.) (artoo beeps affirmatively)

duel of the fates was hokey-worthy. without it TPM would've had less credence. E'en so, I'm curious which themes people hold dear to their SW memories.

I always liked the part where Han was frozen in carbonite. Vader's march, love theme and all, combined with Chewie howling and sound fx with great percussion. and the fact it was NOT on the soundtrack somehow made it more worthy to me. (Incidentally, I was in disbelief, seeing in the record store that JEDI was a single album soundtrack. "hmm, less substance" it seemed to say)

and in SW when the falcon enters the death star. listening to the album and thinking "I remember that!" as the symphony sychronized (in memory anyway) with the blinking landing lights.

music is great how it can trip the senses. just a few thoughts. interested in yours. I'm strongly against changing the music in further re releases. when JEDI special edition came out we were BUMMED that the stupid, I mean kid-friendly ewok song was gone.

I don't yet feel WILLIAMS has to redeem himself. I have a hunch Lucas handed him the sanskrit text for the FATES choir so I'm not certain. any thoughts?

#2 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2003 - 11:06 PM

I haven't really thought to much about the music, more because I simply let it dictate the mood and feel for me rather paying specific attention to it. You've encouraged me to go and really listen to the movies again, however before I see another change.

Having said that there are three points that I find quite emotive in the tracks - perhaps it's partly the visuals as well as the music, but I love them none the less.

1. The opening credits. Gets me everytime now.

2. Vaders march. I love the ominous tone it has with that simple predatory feel. It says outright, here is the most dangerous man inthe galaxy and you really don't want to find out why.

3. The duel between Luke and Vader in ROTJ. Again the impact and emotive aspect of this piece fit so well with the action on the screen.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#3 User is offline   sinister grinner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 November 2003 - 10:57 PM

"bart's moon base party."
Thirteen and a half.
Twelve jurors,
one judge,
and half a chance.

#4 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 25 November 2003 - 12:13 PM

I'd forgotten about the Jedi duel music. I always liked the haunted star wars choir's contributions, especially when the Emperor was getting all sarcastic with Luke. That's the kind of spirit that would go real well with this forum.

only saw jedi SE once, but I could have sworn in the background of celebrations at tatooine or coruscant hearing something like "merry Christmas"???

#5 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 25 November 2003 - 12:35 PM

Oh yeah, in the Empire credits when the credit for the London Symphony Orchestra appears the music changes to a light version of Yoda's theme. I really liked the subtle stuff. back in the 80's you could see a Star Wars movie with the INTENT of finding new things each time. (did anyone else notice: the doorway shape Vader strode through in Luke's dagobah duel sequence was the exact same shape as the one used at the end of the real duel?)

one more music note: the mad magazine star wars musical parody from fall of 1978 is REALLY good! (tweetle-beep tweetle be-doh)

#6 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 November 2003 - 11:29 AM

Alright I don't want to offend all you anti-prequel people, but remember this has to do with music not the movies. Let me just say that I LOVE movie soundtrack music. In my honest opinion, I think the score to Episode I is one of the best I've ever heard. The score to Episode II, though it relied much on Episode I, is close, Across the Stars is beautiful, and the Arena music is great (not to mention the bone-chilling, goosebump-filling version of The Imperial March at the end). It is also my honest opinion that (I'm getting ready for the tomatoes about to be hurled at me) the prequel scores are BETTER (GASP!) than the original trilogy scores. They are more complex, they are smoother, more beautiful while at the same time more eerie and with a sense of foreboding. Was Duel of the Fates a bit over-the-top? Yea. Was it great music though? Definitely. Anakin's theme is kid-friendly to a degree (since yes he is a kid), but it is also tragic (with a touch of the Imperial March thrown in) and beautiful. The original trilogy scores are fabulous don't get me wrong (I think I like them all equally, ANH gave us the original music and the fabulous Throne Room scene and Death Star music, ESB gave us of course The Imperial March and Yoda's theme, as well as Han and Leia's love theme, and ROTJ gave us the Emperor's theme, a 30 minute score and continous music for the 30 minutes of continuous action at the end, and the final battle music for Luke and Vader, which gives me the chills every time), but I think the music has matured and is much more worthy of calling classical music than the originals were. It is a shame that the Episode I score is wasted on, well, Episode I, and that the love theme in Episode II is, well, wasted on the Episode II love story. If the movies were HALF as good as these scores, no one would be complaining right now.

#7 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2003 - 06:25 PM

Well I wont say that it's better, but I certainly will agree this is one aspect of the Prequels that actually compliment the originals. I totally agree regarding the complexity of the music given that they have taken many of the themes from the original movies and re-arranged them. If nothing else all movies thus far have excelled musically - and I say this purely as an unmusical person. I have no musical talent whatsoever, but I know what I like to listen to and the Star Wars soundtracks rank way up there.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#8 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE (Supes @ Nov 27 2003, 06:25 PM)
If nothing else all movies thus far have excelled musically - and I say this purely as an unmusical person. I have no musical talent whatsoever, but I know what I like to listen to and the Star Wars soundtracks rank way up there.

Exactly.

The music is the one thing Lucas would have no power to destroy. Even had he hired a screenwriter for the prequels, he could have come along and said "make this but sillier," or "try to drop this character's motivation," or "less dialogue here; instead, make the kid fly a plane and yell 'yippee!'" We all know that the puppeteers and CGI animators were subjected to relentless micromanagement. And of course, they did what he wanted, even if they thought it was stupid, because this isn't a job. This is potentially three jobs, and high-paying ones with serious project budgets. So they can't afford to get fired.

Now as for John Williams, what's Lucas going to do? Threaten to cut him? Lucas could come in and say "I think we should have a few pop tunes from a boy band," or "can we try to incorporate more horn here? This part sounds too quiet..." and Williams could say what all the other guys would *like to* but wouldn't. He could say "Fuck off, Lucas, I know what I'm doing." And George Lucas would think, "Can I really afford to have Howard Shore come in and fuck this shit up?" and then he'd back off and say, "Sorry Mr Williams; it were just a thought, see." And he'd close the door on his way out.

Of course, that said, I think even John Williams settled a bit by allowing hints of the Imperial March into the prequels. Like, there isn't an Empire yet! Like, quotes to music that appears chronologically *later* will only make sense to people if they view the films out of order!

The problem with these prequels is that they are not being treated like episodes in a six-part series. They are meant to be viewed after the films that chronologically come later, and only make sense in that light. They're not prequels; they're sequels whose events occur before the events of the films they're sequels to. Which makes them the dumbest movies ever, and I'm including ENCINO MAN.

Mike.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#9 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 28 November 2003 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (Vwing @ Nov 27 2003, 11:29 AM)
It is a shame that the Episode I score is wasted on, well, Episode I, and that the love theme in Episode II is, well, wasted on the Episode II love story.  If the movies were HALF as good as these scores, no one would be complaining right now.

"In the spirit of Goodness," Fuckin' A, Bubba.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size