• +
  • Last »

Reagans funeral on and on

#1 User is offline   Little princess Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:44 AM

I have no desire to offend anyone, especially my American friends, whom I love.
BUT, isn't this funeral a bit much? Everyday this week our news in Australia was full of coffins and flags and weeping women. Each day I thought, 'this is the funeral', but no, there were still days to go. The horse with reversed boots was a bit cheeky, the tribute to the warrior, Ron wasn't a warrior, he just acted in some films in uniform. Sorry, but the poor little widow pathetically touching the coffin at every chance made my cynical mind think 'film actress','good photo opportunity'. Then we saw dear old Maggie Thatcher getting in on the act. I bet it will be the thing to do from now on at all funerals.
I don't know much about Reagans politics, except that he was rightwing and didn't give the poor and blacks much reason to love him.
Still he's buried now, he was very old and had Alzeimers, let that be the end.

#2 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 June 2004 - 08:15 AM

There is a simple solution to your problem, and thats to simply not watch the news. The only news I watch is The Glass House, so I haven't heard much of this funeral.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#3 User is offline   SkinnedAlive Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 12 June 2004 - 09:57 AM

Thats fair enough when the funeral isn't broadcast live interupting usual telly. Which in britain, it is.

#4 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 12 June 2004 - 11:58 AM

Heh, I usually get my news from The Daily Show these days. Even if it is a day behind.
"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#5 User is offline   Stalky Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2004 - 01:24 PM

Me, Skinny and Spacey stumbled across a 5 cannon salute earlier today...I presumed it was a D-Day celebration that was delayed for some reason, but I'm beginning to believe it was for Reagan more and more mellow.gif

Damnit, and when I heard the first one I though it was a car bomb huh.gif

#6 User is offline   SkinnedAlive Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 12 June 2004 - 01:36 PM

Spacey says it's cause it's the queens birthday. I couldn't care either way personally...

#7 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (Amber-Nicole @ Jun 12 2004, 11:58 AM)
Heh, I usually get my news from The Daily Show these days. Even if it is a day behind.

You're not alone there... biggrin.gif
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#8 Guest_Guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 June 2004 - 05:42 PM

For some more reasons not to kiss the arse of Reagan, see here:

http://www.spinnoff....opic.php?t=1904

"I'll miss him like I miss the hole in my pants that let my car keys fall into the storm drain." -- A Wise Man

#9 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 12 June 2004 - 06:59 PM

BUT, isn't this funeral a bit much?

yes and no. Whocares, maybe, if so, why do you care, and ok.

Reagan is bad, no wait he is good

Down with over exposure of his funeral, no I like seeing it.

Down with talking about it, no lets discuss it more and more.

Free the political prisoners, free the political prisoners.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 12 June 2004 - 07:00 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#10 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:02 PM

I don't know much about Reagans politics, except that he was rightwing and didn't give the poor and blacks much reason to love him.

explain? How to you get blacks to love you if you are a white wealthy president? By affirative action? How?

Name one president that have given the poor reasons to love them. And don't say Roosevelt, his reforms were a nice gesture but didn't do much to stimulate the economy.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#11 User is offline   Chris Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 June 2004 - 05:54 AM

Reagan knocked taxes for the very richest people in society down from 70% to 30%, and oversaw a massive slash in the funding of public schools and health. That doesn't get anybody to love you, the poor least of all.

#12 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 June 2004 - 02:03 AM

Geeze, 70% seems a bit high for taxes, even for the rich. But then again, my nations average tax rate is at 79%, so I can hardly talk.

http://www.nationsta...n/nation=phrasz
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#13 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2004 - 02:14 AM

I'm not offended, and I agree completely. I, however, know very little about Reagan as he was before my time, and I've only recently become interested in politics. All I know is that the effects of the funeral are way beyond what they should be. He died. That should be the end of it, in my opinion. I, personally, see no use in funerals of any sort, but they make some people feel better. I say let the people do whatever makes them happy, but I think that this is extreme.

I was going to elaborate, but nevermind. Basically, even if the guy did a fantastic job, I think he should get the same treatment as everyone else.
I'm comfortably numb.

Jimbo: We had to kill them to keep them from going extinct.

#14 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 14 June 2004 - 03:26 AM

It's the same situation with me, but from all I've heard, I do not like that man...

One good thing that's come from this, though (aside from the fact that he's dead), is that I've just heard Kerry's in favor of stem-cell research to help with things like Alzheimer’s. I don't know much about him either, but I'll sure as hell vote for him if it'll help get Bush out of the white house.

And I'm not sure if should have said that last bit or not...
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#15 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2004 - 03:43 AM

I'm glad I'm not voting age yet for a couple reasons:

1) I know it's sacriligious, but I don't see that voting makes that much of a difference. 2000 presidential elections were a perfect example of that. Especially with the electronic voting system replacing much of the manual ballots. I'm skeptical of that for a couple reasons as well.

2) Both candidates for this upcoming election are horrible. They have the same basic end goals since the party ideals have become a joke, so yet another reason why voting is stupid. Kerry's *maybe* more liberal than Bush, but not much.

On to the electronic ballots... Does anything even need to be said? Despite the obvious security risks from outside forces, the fact that the companies who manufacture the voting machines are owned by private factions within the government doesn't exactly inspire my trust.

Janey, I know people will jump on me for saying that, so I probably shouldn't have said it, but meh. tongue.gif
I'm comfortably numb.

Jimbo: We had to kill them to keep them from going extinct.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size