• +

MMORPGs (Had to be done...)

#1 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:47 AM

Anyone here ever played any MMORPGs?
Not just the legitimate pay ones, but the free ones as well?

I used to play the one game, Runescape, but after a while the players became mostly 10-12 year olds and all they do is ask for free stuff or say that they're poor. I tried playing it again recently, but they're still there!

Now I play Final Fantasy XI, and by my post count here alone, you can tell I've been playing that one a lot.

Does anyone else play these? Or am I alone? Someone here has to have been stuck on 'Evercrack' for some time? (eww)
wub.gif
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#2 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:32 AM

I've been thinking of getting Everquest, but there's no point. I'd play it for the summer, and then I'd have no use for it when I went back to school, unless I get an internet hook-up in Hamilton.

#3 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 June 2004 - 11:14 AM

Well, paying for a game, then paying for an internet connection to play the game, then paying to play the game really just equates to the developers asking me to bend over. So no thanks, I'm not going to play. And hey, even if I was willing to fork over stupid amounts of money for the right to play, I don't think I would anyway. I just don't enjoy multiplayer gaming as much. Sure, the occasional gathering of friends around the gamecube for a night of Time Splitters 2 is enjoyable, but for the majoraty I prefer going it alone. I have Neverwinter Nights, with both expansion packs and ADSL connection, and I only ever play single player.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#4 User is offline   Rory Icon

• Supreme Master of all Lance & Eskimo and Chefelf Forums EVER
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:53 PM

Its not so much the price that hurts with MMORPGS; its the quality. For example, Everquest costs like $30 dollars to buy and $12 dollars a month to play, which isn't bad if you plan on playing it often. However, it is quite repetitive, and requires one to dedicate a vast amount of time to gain levels, cool items, kill gods, etc.

That isn't to say its a horrible game. I logged 55 full days into Everquest, levelling up to a 56 Bard. A lot of that time was spent generally having fun. Some of it, probably a little too much, was spent being aggravated, bored, or annoyed as I travelled long distances looking for my corpse, sat around asking to join people's groups, waited for someone to ressurect me from the dead, tried to buy and sell items to and from other players, waited for everyone to show up for a raid, etc.

The thing you need to understand about Everquest is that, in the end, its a game about patience and efficiency. It is not really a game about danger or excitment. You spend a lot of time waiting: waiting to join a group, waiting to be ressurected, waiting for someone to teleport you somewhere, waiting for your xp bar to fill up so you can gain level X, waiting for a creature to spawn, etc. The perfect group isn't the group that fights the hardest monsters; its the group that gets the most xp. That usually means you fight one monster at a time, you never take on more than you can handle, and you make sure no one ever dies. Furthermore, theres usually one thing you are responsible as a member of a group, whether it be fighting, healing, buffing, and doing direct damage, so fights get very repetitive. If I'm the highest level fighter, my job is to take hits. If I'm the wizard, my job is to cast 1-2 damage spells and then meditate. If Im the cleric, my job is to heal. If Im the bard, my job is to sing certain songs, and so on.

If fights start to get interesting, if you start having to improvise tactics, if you barely survive a fight... well, that means you're doing something wrong. Because if there's one thing a whole lot less fun than doing the same thing over and over again, its dying. Not only do you lose xp when you die, but it also takes up a lot of time (travelling to find your corpse, getting a cleric to resurect you so you can regain xp, etc). If enough people die in a group, they might just give up and leave.

#5 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (Rory @ Jun 10 2004, 12:53 PM)
The thing you need to understand about Everquest is that, in the end, its a game about patience and efficiency. It is not really a game about danger or excitment. You spend a lot of time waiting: waiting to join a group, waiting to be ressurected, waiting for someone to teleport you somewhere, waiting for your xp bar to fill up so you can gain level X, waiting for a creature to spawn, etc. The perfect group isn't the group that fights the hardest monsters; its the group that gets the most xp. That usually means you fight one monster at a time, you never take on more than you can handle, and you make sure no one ever dies. Furthermore, theres usually one thing you are responsible as a member of a group, whether it be fighting, healing, buffing, and doing direct damage, so fights get very repetitive. If I'm the highest level fighter, my job is to take hits. If I'm the wizard, my job is to cast 1-2 damage spells and then meditate. If Im the cleric, my job is to heal. If Im the bard, my job is to sing certain songs, and so on.

If fights start to get interesting, if you start having to improvise tactics, if you barely survive a fight... well, that means you're doing something wrong. Because if there's one thing a whole lot less fun than doing the same thing over and over again, its dying. Not only do you lose xp when you die, but it also takes up a lot of time (travelling to find your corpse, getting a cleric to resurect you so you can regain xp, etc). If enough people die in a group, they might just give up and leave.

That sounds a lot like FFXI, but I never found myself to get impatient with that game at all, or angry or anything like that. Yes, it does take a long time to gain levels, and deaths aren't nearly as annoying as Everquest sounds... do you HAVE to be resurrected in Everquest? There's no homepoint you can go back to or anything? Everquest doesn't sound all that interesting... then again... I never was all that interested in that title. tongue.gif

And yes, it does cost a lot, but that filters out all the annoying morons who stalk and bother you constantly. If they have to pay a lot for it, why would they bother? The lack of annoying kids and equally annoying teenagers is very nice. I'm not saying you don't run into them, because you do, but in much less numbers... I think the payment acts as a filter to keep out non serious-players. Unless they're dumbasses with a lot of money, now that's another story. lol

wub.gif
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#6 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 10 June 2004 - 05:32 PM

YOu want a MMORPDOGHF whatever it's called?

I got one acronym for you, WoW

http://www.blizzard.com/wow/

I've never played or even considered buying a mmorpgh before, but this game looks awesome. Take a look at it LTTS
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#7 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2004 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Jun 10 2004, 05:32 PM)
YOu want a MMORPDOGHF whatever it's called?

I got one acronym for you, WoW

http://www.blizzard.com/wow/

I've never played or even considered buying a mmorpgh before, but this game looks awesome.  Take a look at it LTTS

I looked at it, the people in it look like crap.

Anything else, El Sarcasmo?

wub.gif

This post has been edited by looktothesky: 11 June 2004 - 09:23 AM

PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#8 User is offline   Rory Icon

• Supreme Master of all Lance & Eskimo and Chefelf Forums EVER
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 11 June 2004 - 12:25 PM

You respawn when you die in everquest, but all your equipment stays on your corpse, which you have to find and loot if you want your stuff back (which you almost definetly do.) The worst thing about death is that you lose A LOT of xp. Ressurections allow you to regain a good deal of this xp, making death not so bad.

I don't mean to critisize Everquest too much. It can definetly be fun sometimes, even if it is repetitive. The best part of it is probably the feeling of accomplishment you get, whether it be from gaining a new level, getting a cool piece of equipment, or just being part of a really good group.

So what does Final Fantasy XI have going for it?

#9 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2004 - 04:14 PM

I looked at it, the people in it look like crap.

Anything else, El Sarcasmo?

You really think they look bad? I thought the characters were pretty damn good. Blizzard is always on the leading edge of gaming technology, I'm certain that this game is the most advanced RPG out there.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#10 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:49 PM

WoW looks amazing, but I don't like the Warcraft games. Never been very big into the series.

I was unaware that you had to pay to play Everquest monthly...nix on that I suppose. After paying for the game, I don't think a company deserves any more of my money.

#11 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 12 June 2004 - 12:03 AM

I think nearly all games are overpriced as it is. I personally don't thing any game should be worth more then AU$50, but they generally sell $80-$100.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#12 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2004 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (Rory @ Jun 11 2004, 12:25 PM)
So what does Final Fantasy XI have going for it?

Well, in FFXI when you die you don't lose any of your items, you keep all of them. BUT, when you die you lose 10% of your total EXP (ie. the Experience you need to get to the next level) which can range from 10 xp in the beginning to about 100xp when you're a good 1/4 through the game.

I never really find myself waiting for anything, like you said about Everquest, and if I do have to wait for something to happen, I usually waste time in-game, like levelling up my other jobs, raising money on auction, etc.

I can't really explain what FFXI has going fo it, because I've never really played Everquest so I can't compare...lol

You really think they look bad? I thought the characters were pretty damn good. Blizzard is always on the leading edge of gaming technology, I'm certain that this game is the most advanced RPG out there.

Yea, I do. I think the characters look a little deformed. Sadly I thought that way in WarCraft 3 too. The character design just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure its an awesome game, but like the new GC Zelda series, the graphics turn me off.
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#13 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2004 - 06:56 PM

Yea, I do. I think the characters look a little deformed. Sadly I thought that way in WarCraft 3 too. The character design just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure its an awesome game, but like the new GC Zelda series, the graphics turn me off.

Graphics are the very last thing I look at in a game. HOWEVER, I want a link to a game site that has better graphics than blizzard's WoW.

#14 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 13 June 2004 - 01:39 AM

Do you mean Zelda Wind Waker, or the new, unreleased one? The cell shading worked quite well, with every character except Link and Ganandorf, who just looked stupid. But I like the look of the new game, returning to the Ocarina of Time style.

#15 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2004 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Jun 12 2004, 06:56 PM)

Graphics are the very last thing I look at in a game. HOWEVER, I want a link to a game site that has better graphics than blizzard's WoW.

Well why don't you look for it? lol
wub.gif

Do you mean Zelda Wind Waker, or the new, unreleased one? The cell shading worked quite well, with every character except Link and Ganandorf, who just looked stupid. But I like the look of the new game, returning to the Ocarina of Time style.

Yea, I did mean the Wind Waker. The new Zelda though, looks really awesome. I hope that trailer wasn't a teaser...
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size