Chefelf.com Night Life: Plot-Why it is so hard, or only game developers have problems with it? - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Plot-Why it is so hard, or only game developers have problems with it?

#16 User is offline   Gurppa Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

I think what you want to say is: Games necessarily don't need good plots. As long as it explains why you're doing whatever you're doing (wife/family got kidnapped/killed, they did an experiment to you and you're pissed even though you agreed on it, you need money, you have issues and want to kill everyone etc.)

That's absolutely true. One of the few games that I've played that actually have a very interesting plot is the Sands of time-trilogy. I didn't mind that you couldn't skip the cut-scenes, as they were interesting.

To sum it all up: Link (btw, a img)

Games are usually made to have fun. Depending on what kind of person you are, it might be solving a mystery, killing people, killing people with a sword, killing people with your bare hands, driving around with a car (although that is very boring after a while). Oh, did I mention killing people with guns, too?

P.s. Why do people complain about PoP: Warrior Within's emo-ness? I think that most people would react in a somewhat similar way. Only that most people would probably give up when the Dahaka is chasing you for the fourteenth billionth time.

#17 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (Gurppa @ Jul 4 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
P.s. Why do people complain about PoP: Warrior Within's emo-ness? I think that most people would react in a somewhat similar way. Only that most people would probably give up when the Dahaka is chasing you for the fourteenth billionth time.

Because they killed the charm, the humour, the atmosphere of its predecessor and turned it into a bloody, angsty, oversexed shitfest of heavy metal and grit. It's not a bad game, it's just... not Prince of Persia.

#18 User is offline   Gurppa Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Jul 6 2009, 03:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because they killed the charm, the humour, the atmosphere of its predecessor and turned it into a bloody, angsty, oversexed shitfest of heavy metal and grit. It's not a bad game, it's just... not Prince of Persia.

Meh, He had his teen-angst a bit too late. I liked the story though. But I believe that the innocent prince would've had a hard time on the island of time. I guess they needed to roughen him up, so it would be believable. Wouldn't it have been quite hilarious if the innocent prince would've done everything instead of the roughened, angsty prince?

Own personal opinion on trilogy:
SoT: Very good story, platform-parts excellent, Combat very BOOORING.
WW: Story was good, platform-parts excellent, combat very enjoyable (I do agree character was way off, if you compare it with the rest of the trilogy), didn't like the thing that you actually have to kind of "look" for the life upgrades. Camera was an a**, coming straight from finishing SoT. Level design was strange. A bit too long maybe, but ended way too suddenly also.
T2T [or TT]: Story was a bit forced, but enjoyable, Platform-parts got maybe even better, Combat enjoyable, came back with the thing that you don't really have to look for life upgrades, always comes up as a split route.

(I haven't finished T2T yet [I'm just past the burning house], I just recently picked up the trilogy box.. I had it for a long time, dunno why I didn't play it before).

#19 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:52 AM

In my opinion, T2T was the best one in the series regarding gameplay, combat was well done and didn't get boring unlike in WW, level design and puzzles were okay (except for the fucking statue-conveyor belt thing near the end), atmosphere was okay as well, characters and character development sucked balls. Really, the developers flattened their personalities to the point of incredibility which put a big dent into the whole experience.

#20 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

You see plot is there to give your actions some kind of meaning, you don't need a strong plot honestly, but it should be there. The reason why most videogame plots suck is because they are stabled on afterwards, much like why a lot of movies suck. The product doesn't come from the structure, the structure is made around the product.

Not having a plot is just fine, but it does render your actions meaningless, unless you do these things to improve yourself (as in a simulation) or you have a specific self imposed goal. Reaching the next room, isn't very compelling as an objective. The opportunity to challenge the player on something more than a skill level (or the player's patience) is also something that should be done. Avoiding challenges is accepting death.

#21 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:03 PM

View PostIcey, on 17 July 2009 - 11:18 AM, said:

Not having a plot is just fine, but it does render your actions meaningless

And can confuse the buggery out of you in many many situations.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#22 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:08 AM

One thing to keep in mind about games given meaning with plot is the aspect of the puzzle game. These little bastards have been cemented into the game culture for millenia and never really needed a plot to stay there. Generally speaking, though, puzzle games have simple objectives and singular scenarios. Anything more complex, though, seems enhanced by 'plot' or at least a connective thread. It would be a little strange to me if you started up a game, played a round of chess, cleared 30 lines of 'Tetris' and finished by winning a motorcycle race. I think this sort of play is usually reserved for an Atari Classics cart/disc. 'Plot' in this sense is used to tie together multiple scenarios and events to make a larger/longer experience. It's the Extenze of gaming.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size