• (2 Pages)
  • +

Curious classes o_O

#1 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 11 April 2004 - 03:36 PM

My political science class is odd. It only meets every other day although it's supposed to meet every day. Also, everything is extra credit including the final. Essentially, these make the political science just like real-life politics since we get credit for doing nothing (too bad we don't get paid too).

My math class is GREAT (<-sarcasm) since, although the teacher is very good, it's trigonometry, so it's not as though it takes any great deal of thinking (I need it for a pre-req to higher level courses). Because of that, I've decided to turn it into a writing class. I sit in there and write poetry, freewrites, or whatever form I decide to write in at the time. Although only two weeks have passed since classes started, I've used nearly a full ream (200 pages) of paper in that class alone. To put that in perspective, the class is only an hour long (once daily). >_< The person who usually sits to my right asked if I was writing a novel. I should do that! I could try to organize everything into some greater scheme, add a romance aspect to it, some violence, some plot twists, and I could try to make some money out of this math class. Any ideas for a title? It's also fun to sit and observe the other people. There is a russian boy who sits up near the front of the class who's quite attractive. He just moved here, so he has such a cute accent as well. laugh.gif Anyway...

My only other class this quarter is the sequel computer programming class to the one I took a couple quarters ago. happy.gif It's fun, but it hasn't really gotten up to speed yet, so it's mostly just review for now.

This post has been edited by Mist: 11 April 2004 - 05:29 PM

I'm comfortably numb.

Jimbo: We had to kill them to keep them from going extinct.

#2 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 11 April 2004 - 04:46 PM

I only have one class that I can really rant about - my semester course of Law Studies, AKA: the most pointless class I have ever taken. You know those elective courses that you decide to take because you actually want to learn something from them? This was supposed to be one of them, but you know how it turned out? The class is taught by one of the coaches at our school - a new coach - and he doesn't actually teach anything at all! All we do is define every vocabulary word and answer every question in each chapter every day (which is actually a lot of work if you could see it), while he turns on The Price is Right to keep a small group of ditzy girls (who never do any work anyway) quiet.

THAT'S IT!

Busy work and Bob Barker. That's all there is to the class. No lessons, no purpose. It's an absolute waste of time and Ritalin, but I suppose I shouldn't complain, since it's still what could be defined as an "easy credit."
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#3 User is offline   The Soul American Fan Of Yahtzee Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:Plotting for world domination, a passtime inspired by Yahtzee's quest for the same... I already have a friggin' death ray. Or I could just be some American dude that has nothing to do but sit here and bitch about stuff in his free time... you pick

Posted 11 April 2004 - 04:46 PM

the perfect title would be "This is a Good Novel, Trust Me. It Would Have a Good Title But I Just Couldn't be Arsed"... God I'm such a hypocrit

#4 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 12 April 2004 - 02:10 AM

I think I understand what's going on, let me rant slightly about what subjects I take:

English- Any permutation of squirm with boredom, fall asleep or play Solitaire on my laptop.

Maths- A choice of actual good teaching, or indecipherable gibberish.

Media Studies- Doss. Simple.

Drama- Recently, has sucked, because our really good teacher had to leave on maternity leave, and she was replaced by a mummy. No, seriously, an Egyptian -preserved corpse.

All in all, school sucks. But after easter, its only four weeks, then exams, then immense summery freedom...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#5 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:28 AM

All of my classes at this time involve very little work at all. Mostly recording, speaking, and one class about sales that actually involves some work. Other than that, I have nothing to complain about. Plus I'm done for the year on Friday, so that helps.

#6 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:59 PM

Lucky Heccubus, I don't graduate until May 22nd.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
XD

#7 User is offline   Lachie Dazdarian Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:18 AM

My classes suck.

Boy, I hate engineering.

#8 Guest_Guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:08 PM

You're all bastards. I have to sit 7 maths papers: Mechanics 2, Pure Maths 2-5 and STEP I and II. Whilst the first 5 named here are just about doable, I tried a STEP recently and scored 17%. It's... 5 weeks till the exam.

Lachie, at least your maths means something.

#9 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:51 PM

I have...no idea what you're talking about. huh.gif

XD

#10 User is offline   Lachie Dazdarian Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:50 AM

Well I passed my Mechanics 2 exam long time ago. Loser.

#11 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:39 AM

*the following is a highly boring ramble, so I'm doubting any of you are bored enough to read it. I just wrote it because I'm really bored and it's rather late/early*

Kind of an update because I'm bored and haven't posted for a while. As I'm in Amnesty International, I got an offer to teach a class jointly with a couple others from AI. So in the fall quarter, we're teaching a course on human rights at the college. Should be fun happy.gif but scary ohmy.gif. Some of the people who requested the class have, apparently, been imprisoned for varying demonstrations and are really knowledgable on the subject. I'm not really sure why they requested that we teach the class, but it should be fun, nonetheless.

On top of that, I worked up the nerve to call the person I admired most throughout high school because of his incredible way with people and his politeness. Apparently, he's admired me all this time and wanted to hang out with me all this time. o_O Crazy things. Anyway, we've been hanging out a lot, and I've met other people, so I'm actually developing a REAL social life o_o;;; It scares me too. Also, prom's in a few days, so yes.

I've also been doing a lot of self-study lately on various subjects from computer virii to drugs to music to teaching to human rights to sketching to psychology. Wow, I'm bored, and, if you're still/actually reading this, I pity you since you're probably more bored than I am as I write this. My apologies.

How is everyone else faring? Xice? Der Mudda? Rhubarb? LP? Anyone?

This post has been edited by Mist: 07 May 2004 - 02:54 AM

I'm comfortably numb.

#12 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 May 2004 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE (Mist @ May 7 2004, 02:39 AM)
I've also been doing a lot of self-study lately on various subjects from computer virii to drugs to music to teaching to human rights to sketching to psychology. Wow, I'm bored, and, if you're still/actually reading this, I pity you since you're probably more bored than I am as I write this. My apologies.

Actually Mist, this is quite interesting, but then again I am at work so my concepts of interesting may be a little skewed biggrin.gif

I would be interested to know a little more about the specific of what you are studying in regards to drugs and psychology. You've hit a pretty broad interest and study area, but these two appeal to me most from an interest point of view.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#13 User is offline   SkinnedAlive Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 10 May 2004 - 12:28 PM

I'm currently doing psychology at AS level. I find it quite enjoyable although we are only doing the basics so it can be pretty dull sometimes. The teacher has this odd habit of going off on enormous tangents, he was talking about bacon factories this morning.

I wish school was less about getting qualified and more about learning. I'm getting tired of jumping through hoops... dry.gif

#14 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:47 AM

Supes got a new avy happy.gif

As to you asking what aspects I studied, I can answer, but I'm guessing that this thread will never be read by anyone ever again (unless it just degenerates into spam) because it's probably boring. I'm going to try to ramble on, though, in true fullyramblo fashion because I want to give you something to do at work, and because I'm procrastinating on my poli sci essay and my 13 programming assignments. laugh.gif Supes, if you were actually interested, I hope you have a bit of free time at work. On with the show!

As to psychology, I've just been out around people outside my usual work setting a lot more. As such, I've had more of an opportunity to see how people think. For example, the seven basic things that drive people. It's interesting to see how those apply in the real world. While in a work or school setting (or even sometimes if you meet someone and are hanging out with them for the first time) the reactions to things are gauged and calculated, and are easily predicted. Outside of those bounds, the reactions vary greatly. It's kind of fun to react a certain way to things to see how other people will react to my reaction. I find it amusing, at least. Also, subliminal things people pick up on, and how other people are, to a degree, empathetic to how you're feeling, so if you exhibit subtle signs of sadness or a slight anger, the mood of the conversation will drop and the other person may become somewhat guarded. If you exhibit slight signs of happiness, the person's guard may drop slightly, and they will be more receptive to ideas. Those are probably things everyone knows already, but I'm just studying them to the extremes while in public. It's also amusing to see how these principles apply to me as well, so it's been fun watching myself (as it were) and doing a lot of self-psychology. "Why did I react that way?" "Am I avoiding that? Why?" etc. It's kind of scary and painful, though, because I'm finding things that I don't want to find, but hey, everyone has things they hate, so I just keep digging.

Also, I studied MPD or DID (Multiple Personality Disorder/Disassociative Identity Disorder) in great detail. That was very interesting as I could identify with many of the symptoms of it, but I don't believe I have it, or if I do, it's pretty mild. Either way, it was quite interesting. On top of that, it was just very enlightening to clear many of the misconceptions and myths about it away. I currently have 6 overdue books at the library. 4 are about MPD, one is about the history of swords and swordsmanship, and one is Dune (haven't read it yet).

Kind of intertwined in all this study of psychology is recent studying on John Campbell. I haven't done that much on him yet, but I find him fascinating, or rather, I find the issues he studied to be fascinating.

After all these stupid posts of mine, I'll have to start a new thread to ask how everyone is doing because there is no way that anyone besides someone bored at work will read all of this. unsure.gif

On to the topic of drug study... I've recently become interested in drugs again. I was for a while merely because my cousin was a dealer for hard stuff. He got sent to jail, and I was interested in why it was such a big deal that drugs be illegal. By hard stuff, I mean heroin, etc. So I researched it, and found why those types of things are obviously illegal, but I also found the many government-inspired legends surrounding various drugs to make them seem scarier than they really are. Marijuana would seem to be made out to be a deadly drug to the average person in America. Very stupid things like that. I lost interest after a while, though and moved on to other things.

Recently, I've been re-immersed in drug culture, and, while I haven't done anything, it does pique my interest again. So I researched salvia intensely, and that led to a study of marijuana because I wondered why the hell they would outlaw marijuana but not salvia (in the US). I find it very interesting that salvia actually punishes you while you use it. Here's a boring explanation of how it works from what I can remember: Basically, you have different types of opioid receptors in your head. The three I know of are mu, kappa, and delta. Mu and delta receptors are the ones that are in charge of dopamine levels, so when they're activated (blocked) dopamine levels increase. This causes higher than usual pleasure, and, therefore, can cause addiction. The kappa receptors affect visual stuff (note that scientific word), and are targetted to induce hallucinations. Salvia only targets the kappa receptors heavily, so, while it causes no pleasureable sensations and so isn't very addctive, it does cause extreme hallucinations. The effects are short-lived (15-90 minutes) but they are very intense. The amount of the main active ingredient, salvinorin A, that is consumed is miniscule, and, in fact, the dosage required to kill a person is extremely small (I think I read a couple places that the amount could easily fit on the head of a pin, but I'm shaky on that). The interesting thing is, that while salvia doesn't affect the delta or mu receptors, it does affect dopamine levels. The odd part is that salvia lowers dopamine levels a bit, in effect, punishing the user. It makes me wonder if that's the reason why it is still legal and marijuana isn't, or if I should chock it up to another instance of governmental nonsensical-ness. If anyone read all that, do they have anything to contribute or any possible reasons as to the incomprehensibilities of government?

If you actually read through all that, I'm impressed by your steadfastness. Don't take any of that as gospel, though since I haven't done enough study to determine if all of that is entirely accurate, but you asked what I was studying in regards to those two subjects. If anyone gets scared off by my long posts, I can just blame Supes. biggrin.gif I'm doubting anyone had the free time to read through it though, I'm expecting very few responses. sad.gif I may actually need to venture outside this thread. =O
I'm comfortably numb.

#15 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:08 AM

Yeah, got the new avy to go with the new Legend tag. When I think Legend, I think the Kingdom Come representation of Superman. He's a little more jaded with the world and it reflects my own views fairly closely about society. You can now begin analysising that one biggrin.gif

My interest in your Psychology is due to my background actually being in psychology. I've got a masters in psychology and always find it an interesting topic of discussion. Not from a clinical point of view, but from exactly what you have outlined - the practical application. The study of human behaviour and our interations with each other is really engrossing and I have a lotof time for it.

I'm not currently working in the field as I decided I needed a bit of a change for a while. I was working for 4 years as a drug and alcohol rehab counsellor. I was based in a methadone maintainence program that treated heroin addiction. So you can also see my interest in the drugs aspect of your study also.

I'm really a little jealous that you've been able to start studying these areas while still at school. I know you mentioned self study, but they are still very interesting areas to take up off your own bat.

Please keep me informed of how thing go with your study of people. I like to know how people find the behaviours of others and also how you find that affecting you personally.

I haven't kept as up to date on the drug scene as I should have, but it is always an interesting area of study because once you start it is very hard to then sidestep the debates which you have already opened up. Marijuana is always a bone of contention. There are a lot of myths that are flying around and small facts tucked up nice an snug between these from time to time. I'll talk more about these later on if we do end up getting further into these discussions.

For now (because I don't want to make this to big a response post) I'll say this still interests me greatly and I'd like to hear more of you thoughts. I'll also post more of my personal musings on these topics as we go along. We'll see how long it keeps us entertained. biggrin.gif

I wish school was less about getting qualified and more about learning. I'm getting tired of jumping through hoops...

And Skinny, I could not have said it better myself. I had this discussion with someone the other day. We seem to teach less in school now that realtes to learning than we do about how to learn. It's a bizarre little circle.

This post has been edited by Supes: 17 May 2004 - 03:09 AM

Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size