• (4 Pages)
  • +

Gadgets Cool Stuff That You Have Or Want

#31 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:39 PM

Went to Radioshack today, and I'll be doing some research on things, but it looks like I'll be laying away either an iPod (20gb model) or the slightly less-expensive iRiver (a sort of iPod clone). Either way, I'm gettin' me a hard drive-based MP3 player.

#32 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:06 AM

Going waaay back to the first post:

You've seen the usb memory watch, right? Conceptually, I like that better than the Swiss Army knife--it's around your wrist at all times!

I am another one who simply does not get the ipod. I know it's a sleek, compact way to listen to music, but it just doesn't seem worth it to me. (As for holding data--it can, but that's not all you would get it for. It's like the PS2 being a DVD player. Yeah, it can do it, and it may save you buying another gadget later on, but you wouldn't get it just to play DVDs, since a straight DVD player is cheaper. It seems to me to be more of an argument you can use to help convince yourself to buy it.)

#33 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:57 AM

I think it's a lifestyle choice. For someone like Laura and myself, the iPod isn't all that appealing for the simple fact that we're never more than a dozen or so feet from our computer/stereo.

As for the DVD issue, one of the main reasons I bought an Xbox was because my DVD player broke. I needed a new one and I wanted and Xbox so I figured I'd just kill two birds with one stone.

However, if my Xbox was not modded I'd probably want a standalone.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#34 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 04 July 2004 - 12:55 AM

I'm sure by now you've all seen these accessory bags that have speakers and your ipod attaches in a receptacle but the thing looks good overall. that would solve a ghetto blaster for 20 gig of mp3s' need. personally, I'd have to think that some kind of hearing loss would occur from listening to how ever many hours of music that is. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I've the luxury of listening to music at work in a closed environment. Now if I worked in a cube it might be different.

I recently aquired use of a mini-dv camera. Now that I have memory/apps on the mac to do some stuff, I'm thinking that might be cool. I'd also like to transfer VHS to DVD. Can I record Mini-dv from the tv, or more accurately, from the vhs/dvd unit that the tv and the cable come through? there's a yellow/white/red plug set on the front. Firewire connection to the mac? how long does this take? any suggestions?

that is a pretty cool watch.

#35 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Being Chefelf's girlfriend has been an interest of mine for some time now. I also enjoy am interested in packing, unpacking, and organizing acres of cardboard boxes into a livable structure.

Posted 09 July 2004 - 12:40 PM

Never thought I would be posting in the tech forum, but I just had to share my giddy delight at my ...

New digital camera and its

digital printer!

(Thaaaaaaaaank you Mum, Dad, and Chefelf!)

The camera is easy to use, light, and takes amazing pictures, and the printer produces is just as easy to use, and produces gorgeous, sharp, glossy pictures that look just like photos. Oh, my goodness. I have fallen in love, and it is with two Kodak products. At the same time!

Also, as far as iPods go, well, I want one, too, but not enough to buy one. I spend app. 1 hour a day (and come July 19, I will be spending 3 hours each and every weekday) riding the IRT across the many burroughs of New York City. (3 of the 5, for those Beastie Boys fans keeping track at home). For me, having that much storage space for music would be awesome; as it is, I have a servicable old Yepp mp3 player that I am wearing out, as well as a marvy new cd player that plays data discs (again, courtesy of Chef), to keep me entertained as I travel, but neither of them can hold my entire music collection in one cool-looking package.

#36 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:21 PM

I heard about those cameras. Not bad. wink.gif
One day though, for school, I have to get my hands on a Tablet. I found some at Future Shop (not online, but the local one) for about 50-100 dollars. I think I'll scoop one up. wub.gif
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#37 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 09 July 2004 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (looktothesky @ Jul 9 2004, 04:21 PM)
I heard about those cameras. Not bad. wink.gif
One day though, for school, I have to get my hands on a Tablet. I found some at Future Shop (not online, but the local one) for about 50-100 dollars. I think I'll scoop one up. wub.gif

That's my plan too. Chefelf pointed me to a SUPER one that I was thinking of. Oh, er...by the by, Cheffy...could you maybe send me that link again in a PM or next time we bump into each other on AIM? I lost the bookmark when Mozilla...er...crashed on me before I got rid of it.

#38 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 10 July 2004 - 06:35 AM

Here you go!

Wacom CTE430SA GRAPHIRE3 "sapphire Blue" 4X5

It's a pretty sweet tablet. For what we use it for it's a great deal.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#39 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Jul 10 2004, 06:35 AM)
Here you go!

Wacom CTE430SA GRAPHIRE3 "sapphire Blue" 4X5

It's a pretty sweet tablet. For what we use it for it's a great deal.

Ooooohhh.... wub.gif

It's a shame those are US prices, but now I'm really considering...!!
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#40 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 10 July 2004 - 12:15 PM

Even in US$, that's still pretty good.

#41 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 13 July 2004 - 10:25 AM

I got a firewire cable to hook the mini-dv to the mac, so now I'll be able to edit video and burn dvds with apple software. of course now the side of the computer looks like doc ock.

I still want to go from vhs to mac... I think there's a cable for that.

#42 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:03 PM

Okay, so I finally broke down, and dished out the money to buy a graphics tablet. I'm having some troubles with it though. When I press the pen against the drawing surface, the cursor moves in a circular direction. So far, I've gotten nowhere with the company's website (worst FAQ ever), and I can't seem to figure it out on my own.

#43 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 15 July 2004 - 03:21 AM

I just got my wireless encryption up and running. happy.gif Joy. The access point and my hardware/driver had cooperation issues when it came to encryption.
I'm comfortably numb.

Jimbo: We had to kill them to keep them from going extinct.

#44 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:12 PM

The new macs have this "ilife" suite of pretty powerful tools. You all have heard of itunes, well imovie and idvd are great as well. I (finally) just burned my first DVD set (of that music festival a week ago.) the disc works on my dvd/vcr just great! Menus, interaction, and oh yeah: ME playing drums like a madman!

#45 User is offline   mrRobinson Icon

• Network Guru
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 13 September 2004 - 05:08 PM

I just got the archos gmini 400. Its like an ipod but can show photos and play videos and some crappy games too. So far I give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size