• +

Atlas Shrugged, again Discuss

#31 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:41 PM

Spoon - Awww alright... I'm going to deviate from society's ethics and produce some anchovy gelatto for you, let me know if it advances your society!

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#32 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:52 PM

View PostJ m HofMarN, on 31 March 2010 - 07:09 AM, said:

It might shock you to know that pretty much everyone ever does the same thing (though maybe without the focus on what people did, since a lot of theorists never do much of anything but their work is still valid). People dont just pick up a political thesis and decide it's gospel.

Really? Isn't that how Marxists and Randians came about? Because there's a lot of idiots in the world? I mean people who take the words of Marx and Rand seriously aren't exactly cerebral. Present company included.
"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#33 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:22 AM

But dont plenty of world leaders, writers, etc, come to mind who studied or practiced Marxism or Randist(i forget what she called her stupid bollocks philosophy...objectivism?) thought?

Randists include Reagan, Bush, etc,
Marxists: Jack London, Mao, Lenin, Trotsky, Huey Newton, John Steinbeck, Fidel Castro, etc.

Could it just be that you're not very well read, and bask in your ignorance by insinuating that people who are are all sheep or something?

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#34 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

View PostJ m HofMarN, on 02 April 2010 - 04:22 PM, said:

But dont plenty of world leaders, writers, etc, come to mind who studied or practiced Marxism or Randist(i forget what she called her stupid bollocks philosophy...objectivism?) thought?
Randists include Reagan, Bush, etc,
Marxists: Jack London, Mao, Lenin, Trotsky, Huey Newton, John Steinbeck, Fidel Castro, etc.
Could it just be that you're not very well read, and bask in your ignorance by insinuating that people who are are all sheep or something?

Since when does holding office prove your intelligence? Also, I seriously fucking doubt that Bush read Rand. If nothing else, it's because he's obviously a Keynesian.
"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#35 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:21 PM

You dont get into political office by being an amoeba. And Bush was an avid ready as hard as that is for me to believe. And given hsi right wing tendencies I have no doubt he had at least probed Ayn Rands works.

#36 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:13 PM

View PostJ m HofMarN, on 05 April 2010 - 12:21 PM, said:

You dont get into political office by being an amoeba. And Bush was an avid ready as hard as that is for me to believe. And given hsi right wing tendencies I have no doubt he had at least probed Ayn Rands works.

Ayn Rand wasn't rightwing or leftwing. She believed that the government should revolve around the individual. Both rightwinger and leftwingers believe that the individual should be servant to the government. In any case, any idiot can see he was a Keynesian.
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#37 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:59 PM

I didnt see Keynes or Rand in the only Bush reading list I've been able to find http://online.wsj.co...5706634689.html though its odd that we've read two of the same books, though no doubt for very different reasons. (huey long's bio and the spanish civil war) so I guess it looks pretty inconclusive. Randists seem to disown the guy, and Keynesians do the same. I'd be interested to see any evidence for either view really, especially from the horse's mouth.

#38 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:27 AM

I meant he was an operational Keynesian. I have no idea if he ever read anything that Keynes wrote. Not that it matters since he wouldn't have to. Economic philosophy is pretty basic stuff. You don't need to read tomes and tomes of what somebody has written to get the basic idea of what they're on about. Apart from that, the man was a figurehead. The people around him, the conniving yet hopelessly mundane officials, were the ones guiding his "policies."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#39 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

I can see where you get that with his spending sprees and so forth, but the Randian bits of his policy, tax cuts for the rich, cutting services for the poor, are also apparent. Still even GOPers admit that Bush wondered a far ways off from the ouright Objectivist madness of Ronald Rayguns, so I'll concede the point to you until evidence can be found of just what his political philosophy was, if anything. I do have to point out though that, as a big businessman, he would have surely been drawn to Randist thought, since all her heroes were rich preppy jackasses, and no doubt you can imagine the attraction therein for a guy like Bush.

#40 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

There are a lot of logical fallacies in that post so I won't begin by deciphering them. I will state, though, that Bush is neither egotistical nor has any "reason" to be. Other than that, he bases most of his actions on emotions since he has no brains to speak of. Rand's philosophy dictates that egotistical, sociopathic geniuses would rule. If Bush is the best political mind that America has to offer then you have bigger problems than I thought. I'd also like to add that Bush never "cut services for the poor" since he approved practically every funding bill that pasted his desk, only ever stopping to consider "ethical" consequences.
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size